Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you turn volume of chimes down?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as I know, it only chimes if you are pressing both pedals at the same time.

If your doing that, then you really are doing it wrong.

I can't see any way you are going to stop it either. Service centres don't really work that way. If you want to keep the car, you will just have to get used to not accelerating with the brakes on.

As far as I know, it only chimes if you are pressing both pedals at the same time.

If your doing that, then you really are doing it wrong.

I can't see any way you are going to stop it either. Service centres don't really work that way. If you want to keep the car, you will just have to get used to not accelerating with the brakes on

.Can't the chime just be unplugged.
I don't care about the dash message.
It happens when I'm decelerating not accelerating My foot is just resting on the brake pedal not pushing it.
Maybe I can add a spring to the brake and/or throttle pedal to keep it from moving slightly or bring the accelerator up full when I'm applying the brakes.

Last edited:
It happens when I'm decelerating not accelerating My foot is just resting on the brake pedal not pushing it.
Maybe I can add a spring to the brake and/or throttle pedal to keep it from moving slightly or bring the accelerator up full when I'm applying the brakes.
My Model 3 will not allow race style left foot braking ie intentionally pressing the brake whilst still on the accelerator. (The reason I tried was as a method of brake disk cleaning not as a way to alter handling around corners on a gravel rally stage!)

In theory there’s no reason why you can’t use your left foot to brake so long as you are off the accelerator with you right …but even the slightest overlap and you’re going to get the warning klaxons. I don’t think it would be possible to consistently avoid annoying warnings. Resting your foot on the foot rest when not braking would work but you still have to avoid any overlap. I would be astounded if Tesla would change the settings … unless there’s a built in track mode setting that allows it?

Yes I also miss being able to do a childish handbrake turn once in a blue moon as well, but the design of electric parking brake won’t allow it … it is what it is …

My Model 3 will not allow race style left foot braking ie intentionally pressing the brake whilst still on the accelerator. (The reason I tried was as a method of brake disk cleaning not as a way to alter handling around corners on a gravel rally stage!)

In theory there’s no reason why you can’t use your left foot to brake so long as you are off the accelerator with you right …but even the slightest overlap and you’re going to get the warning klaxons. I don’t think it would be possible to consistently avoid annoying warnings. Resting your foot on the foot rest when not braking would work but you still have to avoid any overlap. I would be astounded if Tesla would change the settings … unless there’s a built in track mode setting that allows it?

Yes I also miss being able to do a childish handbrake turn once in a blue moon as well, but the design of electric parking brake won’t allow it … it is what it is …
Someone suggested Joe Mode under settings, safety so I'll try that.
I think a return spring on the throttle will help for the car to think my foot is not pressing on the accelerator.

If you are going to rest your foot on the brake pedal then you need to remember that your brake lights will probably be on, so a following driver will not get any warning if you suddenly need to brake hard. Many of the drivers I have to follow down a local hill have their brake lights on for the entire 2 miles, even though they are only braking occasionally, negating the whole purpose of brake lights.

Reactions: M1tch
The chime and message only came on when I pushed the brake so I think it's from not taking my foot completely off the accelerator.
It seems to be very sensitive.
When I get the car next week I'll have my wife follow me to make sure the brake lights are not on unless I'm braking.
A few years ago an employee had a 2016 or so Model X I took for a drive and it did not have this chiming or message.
I only bought the Plaid for it's acceleration not for it's Nanny features.
I'm only driving 15-20 minutes at a time and I don't use any driver assist features or even cruise control or lane departure.
I want to drive the car not have it drive me.

The chime and message only came on when I pushed the brake so I think it's from not taking my foot completely off the accelerator.
It seems to be very sensitive.
When I get the car next week I'll have my wife follow me to make sure the brake lights are not on unless I'm braking.
A few years ago an employee had a 2016 or so Model X I took for a drive and it did not have this chiming or message.
I only bought the Plaid for it's acceleration not for it's Nanny features.
I'm only driving 15-20 minutes at a time and I don't use any driver assist features or even cruise control or lane departure.
I want to drive the car not have it drive me.
Seeing as you bought the plaid, have you tried track mode? It allows you to customise and limit the driver assistance. I would expect that mode would also be tuned for 2 foot driving?

I like 2 foot driving on a race track, but on public roads I almost never need the break pedal as the regen on accelerator pedal lift off is more than enough retardation for most scenarios.

Seeing as you bought the plaid, have you tried track mode? It allows you to customise and limit the driver assistance. I would expect that mode would also be tuned for 2 foot driving?

I like 2 foot driving on a race track, but on public roads I almost never need the break pedal as the regen on accelerator pedal lift off is more than enough retardation for most scenarios.
It's still at Carmax.
I only took it around their lot.
When I get it later this week I'll try out Track mode and Joe mode.
My iX M60 BMW has 3 regen modes in D and a heavy one in S mode.
Set to 2 in D it feels like a regular car.