Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does every clean their model 3? Is Automatic car wash a bad idea?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Used to detail new and used cars.

Whenever anything touches the paint, it is scratching it. How much you can see depends on the color of the car, the sunlight and the angle you are looking at the paint. White shows the least, black shows the most. If you care about this, absolutely do no go to a drive through car wash unless you plan to have your paint waxed 100% of the time to hide the scratches. These things push coarse material harshly into the paint, and have the chance of containing rocks or sand that was wiped off of other people's vehicles.

What your main priority should be if you want a fairly scratch-free car is the finest materials touching it as little as possible, with lubricants. This means getting any huge mud spots off with a power washer before washing the car with a microfiber mitt/soap/water. That's really it. Get a shammy for drying it and avoid towels (even microfiber) for drying. Shammies are made for this and are the superior product both in soaking up water and avoiding paint scratches. If you have a new shammy, soak it in a bucket for a day or two prep it. It will absorb much more water after that.

Micro fibers are ok if you are attempting to apply wax because the wax in itself is lubricating the towel across the paint's surface. Before you wax (and of course after youv'e washed), drag the palm of your hand across the paint. If it doesn't feel perfectly smooth, you need to reapply soap and use a clay bar to get the embedded pieces of dirt out of the paint. If you don't you will be scratching your paint as you attempt to wax.

As a final note, I can't tell you how many new car finishes I've seen ruined (to a detailer's eye) by people taking a microfiber cloth to remove dust off the paint in combination with a "no wash" or "spray on" liquid while they sit on the showroom floor.

Last edited:
I just do a touchless wash that is close by that I've had good luck with. It does multiple stages of water spray, soap, then water then even air drys. It also does a light spray underneath the car as you drive into the bay. $11 and probably 5 minutes of my time. Absolutely essential to do fairly often here in Denver area with all the Mag Chloride that is sprayed on the road.

Did the first wash this week and it did a great job.

As an aside it seems like a lot of water gets past the first or most outboard door seals. Anyone else notice this? I had lots of dirty water there that I had to absorb with a towel and wipe down.

Reactions: suwaneedad
Used to detail new and used cars.

Whenever anything touches the paint, it is scratching it. How much you can see depends on the color of the car, the sunlight and the angle you are looking at the paint. White shows the least, black shows the most. If you care about this, absolutely do no go to a drive through car wash unless you plan to have your paint waxed 100% of the time to hide the scratches. These things push coarse material harshly into the paint, and have the chance of containing rocks or sand that was wiped off of other people's vehicles.

What your main priority should be if you want a fairly scratch-free car is the finest materials touching it as little as possible, with lubricants. This means getting any huge mud spots off with a power washer before washing the car with a microfiber mitt/soap/water. That's really it. Get a shammy for drying it and avoid towels (even microfiber) for drying. Shammies are made for this and are the superior product both in soaking up water and avoiding paint scratches. If you have a new shammy, soak it in a bucket for a day or two prep it. It will absorb much more water after that.

Micro fibers are ok if you are attempting to apply wax because the wax in itself is lubricating the towel across the paint's surface. Before you wax (and of course after youv'e washed), drag the palm of your hand across the paint. If it doesn't feel perfectly smooth, you need to reapply soap and use a clay bar to get the embedded pieces of dirt out of the paint. If you don't you will be scratching your paint as you attempt to wax.

As a final note, I can't tell you how many new car finishes I've seen ruined (to a detailer's eye) by people taking a microfiber cloth to remove dust off the paint in combination with a "no wash" or "spray on" liquid while they sit on the showroom floor.
Nah the new thing is drying microfiber towels, they are much softer than shammies. I have been using both. The shammy is nice because it is easy to wash and store after using it. The microfiber drying towel is much softer and absorbs better (I can dry the whole car easily with one towel without ringing it out) but requires more maintenance. Also less chance of dirt scratching the paint should it pick some up.

I have the absorber and the griots microfiber

https://www.amazon.com/d/Chamois-Cl...s=absorber&dpPl=1&dpID=51qvf6Iqm4L&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01BD5F19A?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Hate to be the apostate here, but I've used the local automatic car wash with cloth whirly things on my red P3D+ 6+ times with no problems. This is the kind with 2 attendants pre-spraying your car. I get the wax and everything. It comes out shiny.

Yeah, and the moment someone who knows what to look for shows you, you're going to be very surprised. Like I said above, as long as its waxed 100% of the time, most of your scratches will be difficult to see.

Reactions: larryj and minsup23
Nah the new thing is drying microfiber towels, they are much softer than shammies. I have been using both. The shammy is nice because it is easy to wash and store after using it. The microfiber drying towel is much softer and absorbs better (I can dry the whole car easily with one towel without ringing it out) but requires more maintenance. Also less chance of dirt scratching the paint should it pick some up.

I have the absorber and the griots microfiber

https://www.amazon.com/d/Chamois-Cl...s=absorber&dpPl=1&dpID=51qvf6Iqm4L&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01BD5F19A?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Kind of hard to believe honestly. A shammy doesnt have fiber woven in a way to actually scratch anything, but a microfiber obviously does. I'll have to check them out to see how they do.

First off, never ever take your car thru a brush car wash. It's basically rubbing your car with all the dirt and grime from everyone else's filthy car. I am a bit of an old timer and believe hand washing is the only way to go.

My feeling is there is no replacement for putting in some work and love for your auto with hand wash and wax. It takes does take time. I do two full treatments: in the spring (to clear off all the winter grime) and then in the fall to prep the paint surface for winter. Then i let it go over the harsh winter months.

I like this place for products and there are lots of tips and advise (no i don't work for them). I tried a lot of them but settled on Wolfgang and Pinnacle product line. I have never been disappointed in the results.

M3 Dual Motor Silver Metallic

Reactions: tren01t
I have been using this waterless wash and I am very happy with it. In addition to saving water and not sending soap out into the ocean, it gives great results and can be done right in my garage. The company that sells is -- Elite -- is local, and this is the only thing they use to wash the cars that come in for detailing and other services like PPF and wraps. The day I visited they had several Teslas and a bunch of exotics. You do need to use really good towels with it. The ones they bundle with the wash are quite nice.

I like to live dangerously.

C999AAB2-73EE-4F0E-AB1C-2B62DC01147D.jpeg

I also don’t keep a lid on my travel coffee cup. And I have white seats!

Edit: sometimes I even turn on autopilot in stop and go while I drink my coffee.

Last edited:
I use Wash Wax ALL in the warmer weather and the car SINGS when it’s done.

Now that we’re in the 30’s and 40’s in the NYC area, I’m doing a touch less wash when above freezing.

I already have small scratches all over the car - no idea if they came with it or if it’s from bad waterless washing habits, but I figure why make it worse with an auto wash.

california duster (with proper application) and aerocosmetics waterless wash seemed to have been enough so far. In winter now that it's raning every other day, it seems a bit less of a point but the aerocosmetics still seems adequate.

P.S. I believe the Aerocosmetics is the same product as in the previous post, Wax Wash All

Last edited:
I never understood this product, and still don't (I have never used it).

When I wash my car it is because it has dirt on it, and usually it's the kind that not even a pressure washer will remove on it's own. I don't wash clean cars like I see in youtube videos.

Seems best to remove as much dirt as possible with a pressure washer (hose if thats what you have), then foam cannon the car. Anything remaining after the pressure washer will need to be manually removed by scrubbing.

Now the part I don't understand.... How is it beneficial to dry the car with contaminant still on it, vs pressure washing the dirt you broke free, away from the car first?
Skeptic here as well. Then I read A TON of reviews and watched YouTube videos and ordered the ONR (no wax). Used it with a clean microfiber section each time. It worked like a dream. No spots, no streaks, no scratches. Granted, the car was "summer in CA" dirty, otherwise I would have probably started with a good hosing down to remove any crusty stuff. I'm amazed at how well the no-rinse system worked, and how easy it was to keep the clean side of the cloth on the paint. Used a bunch of those towels, but that just made it easier to run a load of them through the wash. I could see how this would work really well inside a garage where freezing is an issue, but you would still need a plan to get the salt grime off first.

Reactions: Glamisduner
I had my Model 3 wrapped so I COULD run through a carwash and still protect the paint. Dirty ice and slush picked up from the roads get removed in cold weather, no problem using the carwash. I don't like the idea of me trying to wash my car in cold weather. So far no problems (other than remembering to turn off windshield wipers and get into Neutral before I start getting pulled).