Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does Tesla sense and alert vehicles in their blind spots?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gotta love Tesla forums, they will defend anything the company does. Turning your neck is good exercise, the Tesla central machine has more important things to be working on.... Blind spot monitors aren't meant to be the sole decision maker on whether to move into a lane. They're a tool, along with your eyes, ears, mirrors, etc. Yes properly adjusted mirrors are good enough, but having BS monitors too is better and can save lives. We've all had a car or motorcycle appear out of nowhere and had a close call at some point. That's where the monitors shine, those 1 in 10000 cases.
The "Safest car in the world" should have these industry standard tools or a better alternative.
+1 / Add 360 surround view and a HUD while you're at it. Got a hunch next gen Ys and 3s will assimilate Tesla customer's most redundant requests. Not completely sold on Tesla Vision AP. I see lots of blind spots, especially in front of the vehicle in front of you. Oncoming rear traffic is often visible only when its to late to react. I always look in my mirrors! AP is a work in progress I trust will improve in time with AI and tech tweaks.

+1 / Add 360 surround view and a HUD while you're at it. Got a hunch next gen Ys and 3s will assimilate Tesla customer's most redundant requests. Not completely sold on Tesla Vision AP. I see lots of blind spots, especially in front of the vehicle in front of you. Oncoming rear traffic is often visible only when its to late to react. I always look in my mirrors! AP is a work in progress I trust will improve in time with AI and tech tweaks.
HUD, surround view, and BS mirrors would be amazing!

Reactions: Falcon73
All I want is a slight audible warning if I turn on the signal and there's a car along my side or another speeding car that's about to pass me.. def first world problems but that should be an easy software add
yes Daniel, I think that should be added, a software update. Its no problem for cars that are in the lane at the time you signal and look over there. but its a problem if you are on a freeway going the speed limit or slower because the slow poke in front of you and another car is approaching in the lane you are changing into at 25 MPH faster than you, one can not see them in the side mirror on the screen. THAT is the scary part of driving on the freeway with these idiots and I think it could be fixed with software that looks for fast approaching cars.

yes Daniel, I think that should be added, a software update. Its no problem for cars that are in the lane at the time you signal and look over there. but its a problem if you are on a freeway going the speed limit or slower because the slow poke in front of you and another car is approaching in the lane you are changing into at 25 MPH faster than you, one can not see them in the side mirror on the screen. THAT is the scary part of driving on the freeway with these idiots and I think it could be fixed with software that looks for fast approaching cars.
Already has software that looks for fast approaching vehicles. It beeps at you if you have your turn signal on and attempt to move into another lane. Most people are just used to it beeping when the turn signal is activated. Tesla does it differently. Both options work. I’ve just adjusted to the way Tesla does blind spot monitoring.

Reactions: PackMan730