Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does Tesla transport cars coast to coast?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, a bit of a random question, but was thinking about all the logistical things in the background that Tesla has to deal with.

A few questions, out of curiosity, how does Tesla mainly transport coast to coast? Is it purely by trailer, or do they use trains? How long does it usually take after production for car to reach the east coast? Any information on the logistics side of things would be quite interesting to know.

Thanks!

Coast to Coast, I’d imagine a combo of rail to a depot in the state + truck to get cars to whatever delivery destination they need to. That has to be the least expensive option.

Full truck would cost an arm and a leg and probably wouldn’t be too efficient from a load perspective.

Reactions: EVris
Coast to Coast, I’d imagine a combo of rail to a depot in the state + truck to get cars to whatever delivery destination they need to. That has to be the least expensive option.

Full truck would cost an arm and a leg and probably wouldn’t be too efficient from a load perspective.
That’s what I was thinking, rail also probably protects cars more than a full trailer ride, seems like a pro on pro.

Reactions: Blueswoosh248
I was looking at Google maps of the Fremont factory. While there are railroad tracks next to the factory, I couldn't see any loading facilities - in fact the rail lines are all fenced in. There are some abandoned lines literally next to the factory but those are fenced off as well. I'm guessing it's truck.

Saw this post in the “similar threads” section at the bottom of this page:

• Informative
Reactions: BGOwner and EVris
Hi all, a bit of a random question, but was thinking about all the logistical things in the background that Tesla has to deal with.

A few questions, out of curiosity, how does Tesla mainly transport coast to coast? Is it purely by trailer, or do they use trains? How long does it usually take after production for car to reach the east coast? Any information on the logistics side of things would be quite interesting to know.

Thanks!
Picked up mine in Chicago and was told it came from CA via train.

I do know they have a rail spur in Fremont. A trucking client of mine in Oakland trucks from the port and warehouses all of their aluminum coil stock for battery production and then they rail it to Fremont. Neat factoid is that this same trucking firm is #1 in line to receive the Tesla semi trucks. I’m going there in a few weeks to check out the solar grid truck charging they’ve installed.

Saw this post in the “similar threads” section at the bottom of this page:

Didn’t even see that, thank you so much!

Reactions: BGOwner and RocY
I know my 2020 went to Chicago via rail and was trucked to St Louis. My 2022 was shipped to Chicago via rail and trucked to Bloomington IL.

That’s why you will want to do a detail to remove the IRON particles embedded in your new clear coat from the train trip. So buy an IRON Remover followed by a Clay Bar, then wipe down with IPA and apply your favorite wax/polish/ceramic coating.

It took 10 days to get from Calif to Chicago.

Reactions: MIGS Tessie