Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the Model S perform in stop and go traffic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More to it than that... Cabin cooling, electronics running, time etc.

We left Portland yesterday to come to central Oregon, and there were reported wrecks everywhere on the roads. It took us an hour and twenty minutes in pure stop and go traffic, to go what would normally take 25 min (just to get out of Portland). Radio playing, devices plugged into the 12v outlet, HVAC running. Then hit some mild snow patch covered roads coming over the Mt. Hood pass. Became a 4 hour and 15 minute trip instead of 3 hours. 112 mile route.

It's runs like this with really bad traffic, sucking up time, 5 people and a luggage, going up mountain passes, gaining 2500 net plus elevation, keeping the cabin warm, normally driving without concern for range, etc... that have me wondering how much battery would really be left by the time we arrive.

No doubt regen in stop and go traffic is extremely helpful, but...

My wife just asked me how the car will handle in stop and go. I've been so focused on so many other features, I haven't given this a thought.

Any owners with experience want comment?

In a word: beautifully.

I've driven my S in rush hour, stop-and-go traffic on the freeway a few times. It's a serene experience: the car is supremely quiet and comfortable, and standard regen braking means you end up moving your foot from throttle to brakes and back much less frequently than in any ICE car. Overall, I prefer driving in traffic with creep off: it reduces the throttle/brakes dance even further.

If you see an opening you want to exploit, changing lanes with a squirt of the throttle is comfortable and natural; you can fit into small gaps with ease and match speeds in the new lane almost instantly. No muss, no fuss, just go. The other side of that coin is that it's nearly effortless to maintain the gap you want between you and the car you're trailing as speeds vary.

Reactions: ICUDoc
Mind you, gas powered vehicles have these same issues, only no regen. We just normally don't pay attention. Our car took 1.8 gallons to get out of town, 6.5 for the whole run. 16 gallon tank, +2 in hidden reserve.

@Stevezzz... That's what I'm hoping for! Serenity now!

Last edited:
In a word: beautifully.

I've driven my S in rush hour, stop-and-go traffic on the freeway a few times. It's a serene experience: the car is supremely quiet and comfortable, and standard regen braking means you end up moving your foot from throttle to brakes and back much less frequently than in any ICE car. Overall, I prefer driving in traffic with creep off: it reduces the throttle/brakes dance even further.

If you see an opening you want to exploit, changing lanes with a squirt of the throttle is comfortable and natural; you can fit into small gaps with ease and match speeds in the new lane almost instantly. No muss, no fuss, just go. The other side of that coin is that it's nearly effortless to maintain the gap you want between you and the car you're trailing as speeds vary.

Pretty much what I was about to say. The low average speed in stop-and-go traffic also keeps the Wh/m down, so as annoying as the traffic is, you end up using less energy. One-pedal-driving is simply luxurious.

How does regen make a difference? Aren't you just braking, easing off to creep then braking again? Not much accelerating going in in traffic.

You seem to be thinking about slower traffic than I was. I think of such traffic as "stopped". For "stop-start" your foot doesn't touch the brake until you're actually needing to hold the car stopped. Regeneration slows you down to about 2 MPH. Most stop-start traffic isn't actually "stop", it is just "go very slow", especially if you're thinking ahead and don't just stay on the guy in front's bumper.

You seem to be thinking about slower traffic than I was. I think of such traffic as "stopped". For "stop-start" your foot doesn't touch the brake until you're actually needing to hold the car stopped. Regeneration slows you down to about 2 MPH. Most stop-start traffic isn't actually "stop", it is just "go very slow", especially if you're thinking ahead and don't just stay on the guy in front's bumper.
True. With enough distance in front, even with my current automatic car on creep, most of the time I don't have to use the brakes. Of course if you are bumper to bumper (to block others from cutting in front of you) then it's a different story.

My wife just asked me how the car will handle in stop and go. I've been so focused on so many other features, I haven't given this a thought.

Any owners with experience want comment?
Much better than my manual transmission R8? :wink:

It actually handles great. I have left the brake regen and creep in the default settings and I think those work best. Others who I have let drive the car need a little time with the standard mode regenerative braking to get used to it.

Does autopilot close up the distance and follow the car ahead in stop and go traffic? Or does it try to maintain too much distance and allow other cars to cut you off all the time?

Since the recent updates it’s been very good at keeping up with the cars in front of you. It no longer takes forever to start moving allowing other cars to cut you off. As far as distance, it’s relative to the settings you have it on when using that distance knob..

Wow, that's some serious thread necro.

I wouldn't say perfect, but getting better all the time.

AP still waits too long to start accelerating, and then accelerates too much to keep up with the car in front. If it had start sooner, it wouldn't need to accelerate so much.

Also, when approaching stopped or very slow traffic it waits too long to brake, then brakes too hard, and then stops with too large of a gap to the next car (this is not adjusted by the "following distance" setting, as far as I can tell).

Tesla needs to hire some professional drivers to help teach Autopilot what really good smooth driving is like. AP is still too much like a Redbull-fueled teenager and needs to get some chill going.

I'd describe it as "ideal as traffic can be."

I have a 2016 with AutoPilot 1. I drive in heavy stop-and-go traffic on a daily basis. Sometimes for hours at a time.

I used to dread driving, because I had to be super focused, always on the gas and brake, and would get home with a headache.

With the S, I can basically do one-foot driving, which saves a lot of fatigue wthin itself....but with AutoPilot, I'm totally relaxed. There's nothing like being able to confidently turn the system on in traffic, and just let it do the work. No pedal work, no steering, just sit there and go home.

So, yeah - driving the S in traffic is as ideal as driving can be in traffic.

I'd describe it as "ideal as traffic can be."

I have a 2016 with AutoPilot 1. I drive in heavy stop-and-go traffic on a daily basis. Sometimes for hours at a time.

I used to dread driving, because I had to be super focused, always on the gas and brake, and would get home with a headache.

With the S, I can basically do one-foot driving, which saves a lot of fatigue wthin itself....but with AutoPilot, I'm totally relaxed. There's nothing like being able to confidently turn the system on in traffic, and just let it do the work. No pedal work, no steering, just sit there and go home.

So, yeah - driving the S in traffic is as ideal as driving can be in traffic.

yeah I agree. I am a new 2019 Tesla S owner, just picked it up a month ago. In stop and go traffic, one pedal driving is really nice. But I haven’t tried autopilot in stop and go traffic, does it stay engaged even it the car comes to a complete stop?

Yeah
Wow, that's some serious thread necro.

I wouldn't say perfect, but getting better all the time.

AP still waits too long to start accelerating, and then accelerates too much to keep up with the car in front. If it had start sooner, it wouldn't need to accelerate so much.

Also, when approaching stopped or very slow traffic it waits too long to brake, then brakes too hard, and then stops with too large of a gap to the next car (this is not adjusted by the "following distance" setting, as far as I can tell).

Tesla needs to hire some professional drivers to help teach Autopilot what really good smooth driving is like. AP is still too much like a Redbull-fueled teenager and needs to get some chill going.

yeah, and there are times when on AP on a 2 lane curvy country highway, the car holds a line a little too close to the shoulder.