Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the trunk work on the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't they have truck rentals in Norway?
Sure they do. But why would I buy a car, only to rent a different car anytime I need to haul anything? Much easier to get a car with better trunk space to begin with.

how often would you really haul something too big?. I have a truck & I drive a small Toyota Corolla & maybe 1 time a year I need to get my truck instead.
The Model 3 trunk would probably be too small 5-20 times a year. (As an only car. Maybe 2-3 times per year as car #2.)

YGG, Want to buy my truck?...i now drive a Toyota corolla with a smaller trunk than a model3 & I also own a full size truck. The truck cost $40,000us, for as much as I use the truck (maybe 1-2 times a year) I would be much better off renting a truck when I need it, not to mention parking & insurance......the truck is for sale if you want it... I'll be happy to drive my model3 to U-Haul once a year...

Its going to get hella hot in that car during the summer with all that glass on top!

There are some very good tints and coatings that will help, but yes, there is serious potential for greenhouse effect--the irony!

Remember that the Model S also has a glass roof. The tinting/coating on it is great. I live in Phoenix, and even on the hottest summer days, you can't feel the heat on my head. If you hold your hand close to the glass, you can feel a little heat, but only a slight difference from the main cabin (that has the A/C running).

I'm sure Tesla will use a similar UV coating on the Model 3 glass. I'm guessing the prototypes shown may not have had a tint (but could have had some UV coating…) to help show off how open it is...

Reactions: loganthefirst
YGG, Want to buy my truck?...a drive a Toyota corolla with a smaller trunk than a model3 & I also own a full size truck. The truck cost $40,000us, for as much as I use the truck (maybe 1-2 times a year) I would be much better off renting a truck when I need it, not to mention parking & insurance......the truck is for sale if you want it... I'll be happy to drive my model3 to U-Haul once a year...
I just checked quickly. The registration would cost about 200k USD in taxes, and I would need a drivers licence for trucks costing another 10k. So, no thanks.

What's with the European obsession with hatchbacks? Genuinely curious.

We have a BMW 3 series and have never been like "wish we had a hatchback." IMO true hatchbacks look disgusting and there is no aesthetic appeal. I like the way the Model S doesn't look like a hatchback. I can see how the lift back style could be useful, but I'm shocked at how many people are basically saying that a trunk is useless.

I just watched the Model 3 reveal video again. The shelf behind the rear seats is not removable. It is a piece of sheet metal that extends all the way from the top part of the trunk to the back of the rear seats.

I have dogs. This car is really going to make it a pain in the ass to constantly have to work around its design.

• Disagree
What's with the European obsession with hatchbacks? Genuinely curious.

We have a BMW 3 series and have never been like "wish we had a hatchback." IMO true hatchbacks look disgusting and there is no aesthetic appeal. I like the way the Model S doesn't look like a hatchback. I can see how the lift back style could be useful, but I'm shocked at how many people are basically saying that a trunk is useless.

Hatchbacks look disgusting? I once had a 1990 Acura Integra. If you aren't familiar those are hatchbacks. Moved all my belongings multiple times in that car. Even slept in the back of it with the rear seats down a couple times. Try doing that in a sedan! I think the 90 Integra looks good to this day and it made it really easy to be the only car I owned.

It's not just Europeans. I live in the U.S. and never have and never will buy a sedan with a trunk. Once you go hatchback you never go back. I don't even understand why that body style is even made anymore.
It's made because a lot of people actually prefer a trunk over a hatchback, and that's what sells in the US. I'm not one of those people, but it's a reality. Not sure why, maybe it's a privacy issue?

To be completely scientific about this :) I just looked out behind my house in the parking area that we share with our neighbors: three sedans with trunks, two SUVs and a minivan. No hatchback sedans (or liftbacks). So I looked outside on the street, 13 sedans with trunks, 4 SUVs, 1 pickup, 3 hatchback-style cars and 1 wagon.

As much as some people might be disappointed with the lack of a hatch, I don't think the trunk is going to hamper the Model 3's appeal. At least not in the US.

Last edited:
Reactions: doublejj
I also have a 2006 Ford E150 cargo van I'll rent to you gypsy's....:confused:
2013-Ford-E-150-Minivan-Van-Commercial-Cargo-Van-Photo-3.png

I just watched the Model 3 reveal video again. The shelf behind the rear seats is not removable. It is a piece of sheet metal that extends all the way from the top part of the trunk to the back of the rear seats.

I have dogs. This car is really going to make it a pain in the ass to constantly have to work around its design.
Then what they showed may not be the car for you. But maybe the "Part II" of the reveal is actually the Model Y compact CUV? With such a huge list of reservations, most of which were after the reveal, I think the Model 3 as shown needs to be Tesla's top priority for the next 18 months, but how cool would it be if they could do the Model 3 and the Model Y together?

Reactions: Drucifer

I just realized how much of a whiny a$$hole I'm being. Me with my FWPs. God what an idiot.

Going to love the Model 3!!!

• Funny
model 3 's trunk (hate) vs model S trunk (love). I really want Model 3 to do well and it has potential be the best $35.000 car ever IF they go with hatch.

yku12dnqdpzbsxyfaflv.jpg

Look closer from this angle (below), it makes no sense whatsoever. it opens like a hatch yet you see this little trunk hole.

ei5n4agxis4bs0i56tps.jpg