Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the trunk work on the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The dirty secret to US auto design is that you can take a European style hatchback and add minimal cladding, raise its suspension a couple of inches like you claim, and you can sell it as a crossover.
If the 3 was a hatchback, the Y would be a massive fail if it was only a jacked up 3 with added plastic cladding for "ruggedness". Tesla needs to broaden their market penetration not have 2 very similar vehicles. Remember, VW and Audi already have sedans and SUVs in the mix. They can cheaply modify the Avant to parse the market.

Interesting to read all the back and forth arguments. All I know is that shortly after the unveiling Elon tweeted they were going to make the trunk opening larger. The fact he tweeted so quickly and positively surprised me.
I suspect they already knew they were going to do something to improve the opening. It won't be a hatchback but it wouldn't surprise me if the change is well received. Only time will tell.

If the 3 was a hatchback, the Y would be a massive fail if it was only a jacked up 3 with added plastic cladding for "ruggedness". Tesla needs to broaden their market penetration not have 2 very similar vehicles. Remember, VW and Audi already have sedans and SUVs in the mix. They can cheaply modify the Avant to parse the market.

That's where we differ. I don't think the Y will be a crossover at all. It will be a small to mid sized SUV. BMW's best selling model in the US is the X5. Audi's best selling model is the Q5. Pure SUVs sell quite well. Crossovers (aka wagons marketed with a sexier name) sell very well. Sedans, not so much.

Perhaps something similar to the Plymouth Howler concept a few years ago (basically, a Prowler with a V-8, and a bigger trunk). The opening, specifically.

plymouth-howler-concept.2000x1397.Apr-18-2013_22.04.20.686789.jpg

That's where we differ. I don't think the Y will be a crossover at all. It will be a small to mid sized SUV. BMW's best selling model in the US is the X5. Audi's best selling model is the Q5. Pure SUVs sell quite well. Crossovers (aka wagons marketed with a sexier name) sell very well. Sedans, not so much.

The Model Y will be on the Model 3 platform, which means it's smaller than the Model X which in itself is barely a SUV.

Reactions: Zoomit
Like many other i do not like the design and this is a general condenses. As for head room is you are 6ft+, maybe you should'ent be riding in the back? Moreover how often do people have grown plus sized adults in the back. Top Gear, Top Gear, did a test and found out that a very small percentage of people have people in the back. How often does anybody go on a road trip with 5 adults? Most plus sized adults will never sit in the back and, if they do it will be for brief period of time. Why kill the hatchback design? Tall people will probably never sit in the back on a daily basis. The Model III is designed for families, kids will be the main individuals in the back. This design kills a means to transport the family dog and the the family in a daily basis. Seems to me that a minority of people, that will never be faced with sitting in the back are making a big deal. I have a volt and can never go back to a trunk. And if you are going to have tall passengers in the back. Maybe you should consider the Model x, the model y and even a Minivan as a familily car. Lets also not forget that the average height is around 6ft>. I'd rather be a three piece glass setup and have a full glass roof. Regardless, i am buying the Model III. But a lift-back will make it the perfect car.

These were my exact thoughts about this. What Tesla has done is design for the exception at great sacrifice to everyday use. I rarely if ever have tall people in the back of any car I have ever driven even though they would have plenty of head room. I frequently however put my dogs in the back during road trips and haul large objects on weekend shopping outings. I really can't fathom why they would make this choice. It's a huge compromise for a company who's motto is no compromise.

As long as they remove the parcel shelf, I'd be super-happy. I too have dogs that I'd like to be able to ride in the back.

I can't imagine they wouldn't be able to get enough body rigidity from the frame that the back of the back glass attaches to.

And the seat hinges could certainly be strong enough as to not need a bulkhead for the seats to lean against when in the normal, seating position. I think the only/main challenge there is the seatbelt anchor point for the middle seat. It would have to be internal. But it probably is for most/all of the X seats too. So this isn't something new they'd have to figure out.
Yes this would be an excellent compromise. Right now the parcel shelf is a piece of stamped sheet metal that blocks any chance of an opening there. They could instead remove that and add some steel frame tubing across where the bottom of the glass is. We would get the structural stability along with the opening.

Reactions: plankeye
This is a global launch, but US accounts for 62% of Tesla sales, while Europe only 17%.
And in US, market share in 2014 is 35% sedan, 5.5% hatch back, 1.2% wagon.
If you were decision maker in Tesla, which one would you concentrate on first? Sedan or hatchback/wagon?
The answer is clear. Actually, the SUV market share has overtaken sedans at 36%. So the next step for Tesla is also very clear - Model Y.
If you have been to US, then you would know that you would have a hard time finding the former.
That's just the reality of cultural difference.
Of course US accounts for most sales (and not by much all things considered)
  • Just like iPhones sells better on their homeland,
  • Just like big cars meant for US (Model S) is hardly a fit for European roads,
  • Wasnt Model X already adressing the "SUV" segment ?
  • Not to include the USD/EUR rate which doesnt help export.

Personally, I don't see a need for two models at all. But, taking your statement as given, I guess the complaint becomes, why couldn't they make the hatchback first.

Thank you kindly.

Simply because sedans are more popular, especially in this segment, in the United States. Deliveries are prioritized heavily in the US at first. They also are eventually building a factory in Europe, where hatchbacks are popular. Model Y production can start in Europe greatly decreasing costs there.

On top of this, sedans are more aerodynamic than CUVs. This means a smaller battery is needed to hit that small 215 EPA minimum they're aiming for. As battery costs drop with M3 economy of scale they can better put an affordable battery into the CUV that still hits minimum range requirements.

Plenty of statistical, objective reasons to go with the sedan first.

Doubtful it will happen but a nice feature in my Prius V is the back seat slides forward 10 inches to increase what you can store behind the rear seat from 38" to 48".
Would not address the liftback feature many want but would certainly help.