Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the trunk work on the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just going to start this same exact thread. I can't figure out how it opens. There does seem to be a seam a short way up both sides of the frame but it's in the middle of the solid piece of glass. How could that work?

Don't get caught up in the details with this concept reveal. It looks like a hatch, and there will likely be a seam near the back of the rear seats (much like the Model S). They just don't have it because the detailed mechanicals haven't all been designed/prototyped up yet.

Folks, understand that showing a prototype car in a moving form takes a lot of work and a lot of custom one-off parts. They're not going to be doing all of the details like this in the prototype. It's just not ready yet.

In this pic, you can see the lines clearly, and it's definitely a hatch like the S, though I guess the hinges would have to be way up at the B pillar?
model-3-unveil-1.jpg

The large glass roof at the rear seems to be fixed and there is no split or joint at the trunk opening line.

So it looks like that the metal part is the only part that would lift up. This would result in smaller trunk opening than a true fastback design like the Model S.

red_1-jpg.169888

silver_2-jpg.169891

And this compared with Model S:

tesla-model-s-01.jpg

Maybe they found a way to bend glass ?

Seriously though, I really wonder how it is supposed to open… At the end of that little triangle window behind the rear doors there seems to be a cut in the metal (similar to the MS) where it could open, but at that point the glass seems to be continuous.

[Edit :] To clarify, my bending glass comment was humour. Should have put a smiley…

Last edited:
I took a few screenshots of the wireframe behind Elon during the reveal. The opening seems big enough to me for a non-hatchback design. I think the images clearly show where the glass ends.

You are not going to move furniture with this on a daily basis, but if that's what you want get a truck.