Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the trunk work on the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cross beam for the car in general can be reduced in size and scooted back to make way for a removal parcel shelf.
However, it probably won't net a whole lot more space (there is probably a limit to how far they can move it back).

I don't think they would touch the steel frame and cross beam at this point, not if they want to launch the Model 3 in time.
Touching or fiddling with the steel frame would change the structural strength, stiffness, crash worthiness, cabin protection, NVH (noise vibration & harshness), etc.

One wild card in everyone's interpretation is basing what may or may not be doable based on a full glass roof.
However, we know the base Model 3 will come with a metal roof as standard so whatever change is made to the trunk opening may or may not vary between the glass and metal roofs.
Just leaves us guessing even more then we are already.

One wild card in everyone's interpretation is basing what may or may not be doable based on a full glass roof.
However, we know the base Model 3 will come with a metal roof as standard so whatever change is made to the trunk opening may or may not vary between the glass and metal roofs.
Just leaves us guessing even more then we are already.

No, the trunk opening is not affected by metal or glass roof.

Model 3 glass roof has 3 sections, the front windshield, the middle top section, and the rear long glass.
The choice of metal or glass or retractable sunroof only affects the top middle section, the rear section and the trunk remains the same.

I'm hoping they re think the rear hatch / trunk design, it seems like a long way from the very small current opening
to the back of the rear seats, so it'll be hard to remove anything that slides forward.
I'd like to see the trunk/hatch pivot at the B pillar which would make the car much more versatile and still have the
huge rear glass.

Reactions: FP10s
I'm not sure about you guys, but that seems like a lot of space from the seats backward? Would be nice if that cargo cover thing was remove able tho.

If they made the trunk opening larger and somewhat more hatch-like, I would be somewhat more satisfied. I'm currently driving a Subaru Impreza wagon so I kinda appreciate the hatch versatility. Otherwise this car looks awesome

I don't think they would touch the steel frame and cross beam at this point, not if they want to launch the Model 3 in time.
Touching or fiddling with the steel frame would change the structural strength, stiffness, crash worthiness, cabin protection, NVH (noise vibration & harshness), etc.
Elon has said the trunk opening will be changed, so I would presume they would have to touch that steel member under the parcel shelf anyways. Right now the trunk is using up all the space the steel parts allowed, so I don't see how they can make the opening taller/wider without changing the steel.

Elon has said the trunk opening will be changed, so I would presume they would have to touch that steel member under the parcel shelf anyways. Right now the trunk is using up all the space the steel parts allowed, so I don't see how they can make the opening taller/wider without changing the steel.

They can lower the bumper to make the opening taller, and also move the trunk shut line on both sides to make the opening wider.
He won't touch the steel frame and that's why a hatch back or a lift back is completely ruled out.

No, the trunk opening is not affected by metal or glass roof.

Model 3 glass roof has 3 sections, the front windshield, the middle top section, and the rear long glass.
The choice of metal or glass or retractable sunroof only affects the top middle section, the rear section and the trunk remains the same.

That is why I said "may or may not" since I wasn't sure:)

They can lower the bumper to make the opening taller, and also move the trunk shut line on both sides to make the opening wider.
He won't touch the steel frame and that's why a hatch back or a lift back is completely ruled out.
I'm not talking about steel frame, but rather steel members/parts. If you see the earlier pictures of the chassis, both of your suggested changes will require changing steel parts (bumper height lowering might not even be legally/safety viable). If it requires a change of steel, I don't see why changing the member on the top of the trunk would be impossible vs the other parts (I'm talking only a couple inches of change, not something as drastic as making it be a hatchback).

Last edited:
Elon tweets:

tweet1.PNG

tweet2.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Matte black spotted one has the boot (trunk) open in one of the pics and I noticed there's another 3 behind it with it open too:

LtMK4Q2.jpg

I think what's deceiving many people, including me is that the rear is slanted so the top portion looks small. However, if you consider the distance between bottom to opposing top edges trunk's opening is fine.

One other thing to note is that they are charging through their trunks.

Reactions: spottyq
He opened the unveiling presentation with a talk about the safety in the Model 3 and how it would be top rated in every category. As he was talking there was a graphic of the vehicle structure behind him and you can clearly see the safety structure of the vehicle and the "shelf" you are talking about removing is part of this safety structure.

Put the dogs in a hammock in the back seat. Dog Car Hammocks

Up to this point, I believe the only trunk open pictures were of the matte black car. The car in the background (I assume the silver one featured during the reveal more prominently) looks like it has substantially larger opening. Opening looks taller and top edge further forward towards the front of the car.