Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Efficient is Tesla at Processing Title Work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't know how helpful this is since it's from when I got my car back on 9/23/18 but I received my License Plates and Registration Card from Calif DMV on 10/11 (doesn't come from Tesla, info gets sent to the State and it depends on how busy the State's DMV is in processing). My Title came from Calif DMV on 10/17.

BTW Tesla, at least back, then used a processing agency to handle all the titling and registration of the cars with the various States. So many ins and out with the different States I wouldn't be surprised if they still do the same.

• Informative
Reactions: jpfive and Akikiki
after I financed mine they attempted to draft $85,000 out of my checking account I used for the down payment. The next day they refunded the full amount PLUS $2500 and right before delivery called me saying if I did not wire back the difference immediately they were cancelling the delivery. Then they delivered before I even read the e-mail or payed them back the overage. Next day they began to act as though I was a criminal, even though the evening before I had wired the money back as soon as I read their mail AND I included the confirmation number.

• Helpful
Reactions: jonquiljo
Don't know how helpful this is since it's from when I got my car back on 9/23/18 but I received my License Plates and Registration Card from Calif DMV on 10/11 (doesn't come from Tesla, info gets sent to the State and it depends on how busy the State's DMV is in processing). My Title came from Calif DMV on 10/17.

BTW Tesla, at least back, then used a processing agency to handle all the titling and registration of the cars with the various States. So many ins and out with the different States I wouldn't be surprised if they still do the same.

Thanks for the helpful post. I'll be patient.

Reactions: SMAlset
Several months and two temp tags as well. The BMV was nice about renewing the temp tags saying Tesla was legally responsible for getting us the title in a timely manner and we shouldn’t worry about it— they would keep renewing the temp tags and go after Tesla . We bought our car in New Jersey in the very beginning of September and finally got the title at the end of November (We are in Ohio )

Your registration comes from your State’s motor vehicle division. Figure a month or so by mail to the address you gave to Tesla during processing your title and registration paperwork. Yes we all had to wait for the documents before applying for the rebates. Calif wasn’t too bad when I bought mine, seemed better than waiting in line for driver’s license renewal :).

Over 3 months and still waiting for title and plates - picked up car Sept 26 21019 Temporary plates issued at dealer expired (bought in Indiana and live in Illinois)and didn't get in state temporary plates for 2 weeks after dealer issued plates had expired.

Got in on Q3 2 yrs free supercharging but took 2 months to show up on account.

Love the car, but some patience is required for any customer service related issues.

When can I expect my title, or title notification, so that I can transfer tag? How well does Tesla perform in this area?
I don't understand why this cannot be automated via computers. Mine was a very frustrating experience. If you live in a state like mine, Louisiana, you will not get a temp tag. If you don't have a temp tag, you cannot drive your car. If you trade your car, then you new Tesla is "bricked" until you get your paperwork. I traded in a car, so I was w/o a car during the process.

Tesla claimed on the web site 7-10 days.

I can't remember how long it took. I know it was longer than 30 days. There were numerous emails, texts, and phone calls.

It finally got resolved, and the story has a happy ending. I love the car. Best car I have ever owned.

You get what you get. You just have to deal with it.

Over 3 months and still waiting for title and plates - picked up car Sept 26 21019 Temporary plates issued at dealer expired (bought in Indiana and live in Illinois)and didn't get in state temporary plates for 2 weeks after dealer issued plates had expired.

Got in on Q3 2 yrs free supercharging but took 2 months to show up on account.

Love the car, but some patience is required for any customer service related issues.

Wow, Illinois Secretary of State got me the title in about two or three weeks. However, I transferred plates from my trade-in to the Model 3, and I bought in Illinois, not out of state.

In relation to this, how do I know who or where to make my car payment? I picked up my car 3 weeks ago, and have not heard a peep from anyone since. I financed through Tesla. I assumed someone would contact me? Does my car payment go to my credit card on file, the same one used for supercharging? I couldn't believe how disorganized they were when I picked up my car. I had a trade-in. They didn't know about it. I had a down payment. They forgot to take it. I wanted to finance the balance. They've not contacted me about any further payment. It surprises me how little they seem to want my money.

I just got my title from the State of California on Friday, but I haven’t received my plates and registration yet. Took delivery on 12/4. Usually the Title comes after the plates and registration. I know my plate numbers because they are on the title.

I guess I’ll wait a week or two more before trying to contact the DMV. It never happened like this before. Strange ...

Took delivery on 12/13 in Oregon (registering in Washington). Temporary plate ran out 4 days ago, but just got a FedEx email indicating I had a package coming from Tesla, Inc - it's gotta be the plates. Assuming that's the case, that's about 4 weeks from delivery to having the plates.