Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far does your front door open when pressing door button?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All Model 3 doors, front and rear, require a push of button to unlatch that pushes door out by <1 inch like pulling the handle on any regular door, then it's manually pushed outwards to open. They do not open on their own. If they did in the past for you then it was an anomaly.

Honestly I don't remember how I open my door because it's second nature at this point but I think I hold it while applying force with my elbow until it's open and it all usually takes maybe half a second.

Last edited:
All Model 3 doors, front and rear, require a push of button to unlatch that pushes door out by <1 inch like pulling the handle on any regular door, then it's manually pushed outwards to open. They do not open on their own. If they did in the past for you then it was an anomaly.

Honestly I don't remember how I open my door because it's second nature at this point but I think I hold it while applying force with my elbow until it's open and it all usually takes maybe half a second.

Do you mean you hold down the button while pushing the door? Does it work if you pressed and released the button, then pushed the door (without holding down the button)? Would appreciate it if you can confirm. Thanks!

Here is my original post:
"and sometimes I would need to simultaneously push the door when pressing the button to open it, just like I do with the rear seat doors."

So to clarify, the front doors buttons "sometimes" need to be held down while pushing door. The rear doors "always" required that. That is why I compared the front doors to the rear ones.

On my car the button for neither the front nor rear door needs to be "held down" while simultaneously pushing the door to open it. The button can be pushed, then released, and the door can be swung after that. Of note, I always park on a level surface. Since there is NO power assist to the door opening themselves, if you do not park on a level surface, it is possible that gravity would prevent your door from opening.

As I mentioned before, it seems to me that your car must be different than all of ours, because unless you retract the "my door used to open 45 degrees" statement, your experience with your car does not match anyone elses model 3 that I know, have sat in, or even read about (and yes I am focusing on the 45 degrees statement because it implies that there is some power to the opening of the doors, which there is not in any model 3 I am aware of.. its absolutely relevant. Its the most relevant part of your statement).

It takes a troll to see a troll. This low post count noob is messing with you all.

mhmhsh - figure it out yourself. If you can't operate the doors, then you don't deserve to have a Tesla.

Honestly it sounds like OP has an intermittent issue with his electronic door latch release on his car...

I would suggest make video of problem occurring in your car, then go to SC, if they say your car is fine, ask to see a loaner or demo car behave the same way.

Honestly it sounds like OP has an intermittent issue with his electronic door latch release on his car...

I would suggest make video of problem occurring in your car, then go to SC, if they say your car is fine, ask to see a loaner or demo car behave the same way.

The "it doesnt un-latch every time I push the button" statement sounds like an intermittent problem, I agree. I dont think the OP is trolling. However, the It doesnt latch every time" statement is completely 100% different than the "it used to open 45 degrees" statement (and I realize that I am harping on that).

if the OP in this thread went to the service center and said that, I am not surprised that the service center would basically ignore them... because that statement makes no sense, so the rest of what they are talking about as issues probably gets dismissed.

My co worker / friend with the model 3 who had the rear door issue of intermittent unlocking, took it in and got it fixed. If OP focused on that when they talked to the service center, they might have more success instead of talking about how far the door "pops open", which is likely confusing the issue.

It takes a troll to see a troll. This low post count noob is messing with you all.

mhmhsh - figure it out yourself. If you can't operate the doors, then you don't deserve to have a Tesla.

So just because I have low post count, I must be a troll?

Who said I cannot operate the car? Did you even read the thread dumbass? I am comparing my experience to others to see if it is a design thing or a fault in the car, which turned out to be the later.

Reactions: Deslah
As I mentioned before, it seems to me that your car must be different than all of ours, because unless you retract the "my door used to open 45 degrees" statement, your experience with your car does not match anyone elses model 3 that I know, have sat in, or even read about (and yes I am focusing on the 45 degrees statement because it implies that there is some power to the opening of the doors, which there is not in any model 3 I am aware of.. its absolutely relevant. Its the most relevant part of your statement).

These are two correct statements about my car:

- The two front doors "used" to open wide in the first few weeks. I don't retract that statement. When that changed, I thought it was a firmware update. As others pointed out, that could have been due to gravity working on a non-flat surface. Right now, they don't open wide as before.

- The buttons on the two rear doors used to always need to be pressed and held down while pushing the door, while the two front doors did not require holding down the buttons. I thought it was a design thing. Lately, it became an intermittent thing on all four doors.

But thanks for confirming the correct behavior.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deslah
I didn't get a chance to check my other doors but pressing quickly and letting go the button on my driver's side immediately and fully unlatches to allow the door to open. I definitely know what you mean though because I've seen passengers somehow get stuck by pushing the button too quickly. If the button wasn't held, it would unlatch partially and pull down window, exactly like in your video, but could not be pushed out unless the button was held for a second or so. Not sure if this all changed from a software update or different between driver and passenger doors as some safety mechanism but I'll give it another check tomorrow.

What is 'rear seat door' ?
I've always defined a door as being the portal through which one enters or leaves a given space. On the other hand, a trunk / engine compartment / frunk / bonnet / boot is covered by its lid which sometimes goes unmentioned (as in 'close the trunk', 'shut the frunk', et al.)

I conclude 'rear seat doors' to be the doors nearest the rear seats. Some people might refer to them as back doors or rear doors.

At this point I have to ask you, what else could 'rear seat door'--in the context given by OP, even in the absence of my interpretations--possibly refer to?

Reactions: Runebane and mhmhsh
On mine I press the button then I can press the door open, however I never really paid any attention to if it "unlatches" or not because I'm already pressing force once I press the button. Does your door open if you're pressing the door out with force? I'd suggest going to a showroom and sitting in the Model 3.... everything you describe seems like normal behavior

But I think it does matter. If holding the button while simultaneously pushing the door is required, then you would have to tell your passengers every time (think of ride sharing) because that is counter-intuitive. However, if you could just press the button and release it (like you normally do with any button), then pushing the door to open it, is intuitive.

The thing is, I have experienced both in my model 3 doors. Sometimes, just pressing the button and immediately releasing it allow me to push the door and open it, and other times that does not work unless I hold the button while simultaneously pushing the door. I have just had my first visit at the service center for this issue and got conflicting answers from them. So I wanted to know the correct/expected behavior from the owners here.

Yes, I got that I have to push the door either way. I am just asking a different question than the one in the topic of this thread.

Thanks!
I actually think what you are describing as intuitive is the opposite. When people open a regular car door they don’t pull and handle and then push, they perform the action simultaneously. The fact that their is a button dose t change the operating procedure required for opening a door. Just because there is a button involved dosent mean you have to push the button and wait. In fact slipping you hand in the door pull pushing the button with your thumb and pushing the door open in one motion is a very fluid and natural action. No one pushes a button and sits there unless they are used to a ‘20’s hot rod with custom pop doors.

Last edited:
Reactions: BluestarE3
These are two correct statements about my car:

- The two front doors "used" to open wide in the first few weeks. I don't retract that statement. When that changed, I thought it was a firmware update. As others pointed out, that could have been due to gravity working on a non-flat surface. Right now, they don't open wide as before.

- The buttons on the two rear doors used to always need to be pressed and held down while pushing the door, while the two front doors did not require holding down the buttons. I thought it was a design thing. Lately, it became an intermittent thing on all four doors.

But thanks for confirming the correct behavior.
Why would a car be designed to have its doors swing open on their own to 45 degrees? Just suppose that happened when you got yourself into a tight parking space and you door automatically swung open into a car next to yours. You might then dent the other car and perhaps, your own. You always need to be able to control how much the door opens in order if necessary, to squeeze out of your car without any damage.

As mentioned before, the only way your door could have swung open on its own, would because of gravity doing it when you weren't parked on a level surface.

Do you call the front doors as 'front seat doors' ?

I don't. But I also am not left completely bewildered by the term 'front seat doors'. Just like one of the doors to my house could be called "Kitchen Door" or "Side door" - apparently my must-be-genius family and friends deduced that it's possible to refer to something in multiple ways.

Reactions: Runebane and Deslah
I actually think what you are describing as intuitive is the opposite. When people open a regular car door they don’t pull and handle and then push, they perform the action simultaneously. The fact that their is a button dose t change the operating procedure required for opening a door. Just because there is a button involved dosent mean you have to push the button and wait. In fact slipping you hand in the door pull pushing the button with your thumb and pushing the door open in one motion is a very fluid and natural action. No one pushes a button and sits there unless they are used to a ‘20’s hot rod with custom pop doors.

Yes, if you are talking about cars with 'handles', then it is natural to to pull the handle and push the door at the same time. Model 3 has buttons which are expected to be pressed and that is it, the door unlatches.

The thing is, I would have no problem with pressing the button and pushing the doors at the same time if this was the design specs from Tesla, not a build quality issue. There is nothing in the manual instructions indicating that you have to do that in order to open the doors. And the bigger issue for me is that the doors are not consistent. In my car, the two front doors unlatch just by pressing the buttons while the rear doors won't fully unlatch just by pressing the buttons (see the video above).

I had my car in the tesla service center to check for this problem, and they were not able to fix it. The technician tried to make up a bullshit excuse by saying the rear doors are 'lighter' than the front doors and that is why they won't fully unlatch unless you apply a force on the door. I asked them to show me other model 3 with the same rear door behavior, they did, and the rear doors unlatched normally just by pressing the button. Then he tried to bullshit me again by saying this is an intermittent issue and sometimes happen in the cars. Go figure!

Last edited:
Anecdotally, my front doors always pop out ~1" or so, enough to tell a first-timer that the door is open. My rear doors, however, don't do this. They just unlatch and if the passenger exiting doesn't apply force to the door at this moment, the door would relatch and the button would have to be pressed again. So I always tell my first-time rear passengers to push the button and swing out at the same time.