Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How good is RWD in the winter

If you were to buy a new Tesla, would you still buy a RWD or change to an AWD

• Stay with RWD

Votes: 49 63.6%
  • Change to AWD

Votes: 28 36.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m buying a Tesla for sure. Just hesitating on RWD or AWD. I live in Montreal Canada. Our winters can be rough. I’d like to get comments from people who have a RWD and share his experience on the ability of the car during winter.

I cant speak from experience as i have AWD with snow tires. I figured i was going this far getting the car so I went all in. However, i like to think i have read every article, forum thread, and youtube video on the topic. Consensus seems to be RWD with snow tires is fine

• Informative
Reactions: Devils son
I drove mine through a whiteout blizzard thru Kansas on i70 at night with 3 inches of snow on the road, I took it slow and it was fine. There were SUVs spinning out all over, too. Definitely won't be as good as dual motor, but I have no regrets from getting a rwd.

Edit- I did not have snow tires or chains

Reactions: BZM3
Wondered about this too. Conventional wisdom has always been that RWD cars aren't great in snow but my understanding is that is because traditional cars have most of the weight up front due to the engine and little weight in the rear thus poor traction. I imagine with something like a Tesla and most of the weight being in the battery in the center of the car down low, this would be less of an issue.

That said, good winter tires help way more than AWD.

I’m buying a Tesla for sure. Just hesitating on RWD or AWD. I live in Montreal Canada. Our winters can be rough. I’d like to get comments from people who have a RWD and share his experience on the ability of the car during winter.
I have a RWD and with snow tires on it's pretty good. Of course AWD would be better, but the traction control on Tesla's are impeccable and work great in the snow. However, only reason I'd switch to AWD is for the faster 0-60 time haha

Reactions: Leafdriver333
Now You Know did several videos on this since they had one of the first RWD 3’s in snowy Boston a year ago and found RWD was excellent with the right tires. Look for those.

We got AWD because we don’t get enough snow here to warrant changing tires and wanted the extra control in rain, etc. But RWD should be fine. If you can get one!

I can only talk about heavy rain but RWD Model 3 is better than any ICE car I have had including FWD cars. I also have an AWD but since neither has been in heavy snow I can't compare. RWD has better range although a lot of that is due to differences in tires. I guess AWD is the safe bet but RWD is surprisingly good. ICE cars would spin wheels in rain if I wasn't careful. The Tesla never does.

As a Quebecer, I don't think Samnas76 has the option of not having winter tires. The traction control systems in the car are excellent, the weight balance is perfect, and somehow we all survived before the advent of AWD. Disclosure, I have dual motor, but a friend has the standard and is very satisfied

Reactions: boaterva
As a Quebecer, I don't think Samnas76 has the option of not having winter tires. The traction control systems in the car are excellent, the weight balance is perfect, and somehow we all survived before the advent of AWD. Disclosure, I have dual motor, but a friend has the standard and is very satisfied
You are right. I have no choice but to put winter tires. Where is your friend living.

I can only talk about heavy rain but RWD Model 3 is better than any ICE car I have had including FWD cars. I also have an AWD but since neither has been in heavy snow I can't compare. RWD has better range although a lot of that is due to differences in tires. I guess AWD is the safe bet but RWD is surprisingly good. ICE cars would spin wheels in rain if I wasn't careful. The Tesla never does.
Thank you

Now You Know did several videos on this since they had one of the first RWD 3’s in snowy Boston a year ago and found RWD was excellent with the right tires. Look for those.

We got AWD because we don’t get enough snow here to warrant changing tires and wanted the extra control in rain, etc. But RWD should be fine. If you can get one!
Thank you. I will try to find those videos. Lucky you. Us, for the last few years, we have to change tires for winter time.

You are right. I have no choice but to put winter tires. Where is your friend living.

Yep - it's the law in Quebec (expat Quebecer here!).

@Samnas76 - I think you're fine with RWD, but voted for AWD just for the fun factor!

I used to have an old stick-shift RWD BMW 320i - it was so much fun to drive in Quebec and Ontario in the snow. The LR Model 3 is that times 10, and 10 times safer too!

I live just outside of Denver with a RWD LR. We had a pretty good blizzard a couple of weeks ago which was my first really good test. I was blown away by how good it was in the snow. It was at least as good as our previous Infiniti G37x (awd) if not better. The traction control in the 3 is excellent. I always get good snow tires so it's roughly apples to apples with tires. I'm sure the AWD 3 is even better but I have no regrets.