Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is a Tesla taxi possible, business wise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here in Norway we are heading in the same direction. Tesla is here basically a national car, it's like an epidemic :D
More and more cabs are embracing Teslas or EV in general. This is because the government has demanded that within 4-5 years all Taxi companies must have 100% zero emission cars (either EL or Hydrogen).

But the infrastructure must also improve within that period. There are very few superchargers here in Oslo. And the cab drivers need to plan ahead when it comes to charging, as for them "time is money". Sitting around for 5-7 hours waiting for the car to charge, not very feasible.

Don't know how possible this is, but it would be wise for the Taxi companies to build their own supercharging park.

Right after I bought my used 2014 Tesla Model S 85, my company dropped my pay by $3,000 per month making it so that I was unable to afford the payment right off the bat. That is why I initially listed my vehicle with Turo. Each month, I made enough to mostly make my car payment. Even with renting it out, I still went on trips to Arizona, New York, Washington and Texas. I have put a lot of miles on my car, but I wouldn't change anything. I have met some amazing people who have been able to enjoy a Tesla because I chose to share it on Turo. I also did some driving for Lyft on nights after work and the weekend. So for about three months, I was working seven days a week, 18 hours per day. Also, the car payment + insurance + electricity could be as low as $900 per month if you buy used, so I can definitely see how you can make it as a Tesla taxi cab driver... Anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

Brent
127,000 miles on the odometer and still loving it!