Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is a Tesla taxi possible, business wise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the Netherlands, where there are a lot, there were strong business tax incentives for EVs, which made the huge fleet of Tesla taxis sensible.

I'm not sure what the situation is in Sweden. Naturally, there are bigger "fuel" savings the more you drive (an EV vs an ICE car), which is a bonus for taxi drivers. Would just have to crunch the numbers for rates in Sweden and EV incentives to figure out how this can work out for a taxi driver/business.

Reactions: Algbc
In Los Angeles, we have uberLUX...which the MS qualifies for. Here is the list copied and pasted from
http://losangeles.ubermovement.com/uberlux/

I'd say its in great company:

Eligible Vehicles
  • AUDI - A8
  • BMW - 7 SERIES
  • JAGUAR - XJ
  • LAND ROVER - RANGE ROVER
  • LEXUS - LS
  • MERCEDES BENZ - S CLASS
  • MERCEDES BENZ - G CLASS
  • PORSCHE - PANAMERA
  • TESLA - MODEL S
  • BENTLEY - ALL 4-DOOR MODELS
  • MAYBACH - ALL 4-DOOR MODELS
  • ROLLS ROYCE - ALL 4-DOOR MODELS

Reactions: Austin Powers
If someone wanted to get into the Tesla taxi business - and have a fleet of several Teslas, it would make sense to work with Tesla and get a dedicated supercharger - that could be used for the fleet - so the cars could get quick charges - and be back on the road within 30 minutes.

Very simple.
Figure that in Europe 80% of petrol prices is tax. Petrol in the UK has come down a bit to £1.10 a litre from £1.20. £1.35 at it's highest. There's about 4.5 litres in a US gallon. At exchange rate of $1.3 = £1 that's $6-7 a gallon.
That filling say about a 15ish gallon Mercedes with petrol would cost £80.
That Tesla talked about people over-using superchargers - I believe it was Holland / Denmark where there's a fleet of them parked at the local supercharger.
It'a taxi with free fuel! After a persons time the cost of fuel is far greater than depreciation on a vehicle you hope will last 10-15years.
On a greek island the most common taxi was a mercedes. It was 15-20 years old and had done 2.5million miles (1 engine rebuild said the driver). If Tesla's have less moving parts then maybe one day they'll be as reliable. Current buyers are probably hoping so.

First time snapping a Tesla Taxi this morning!

Basel Airport, French Side

Attachments

• IMG_5342[1].JPG
    IMG_5342[1].JPG
    336.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Informative
Reactions: appleguru
I know this is an old thread, but since no-one have the correct reason I figured I would write.

The reason Tesla makes sense as a taxi in Stockholm is not incentives (total incentive is less than $5000). The reason is that Teslas pass the (sometimes several hours long) que to pick up customers at Arlanda Airport. Other environmentally friendly cars get a good rank and short que, but only pure Electric cars pass the entire line.