Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is passing performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know the Model 3 has incredible off the line acceleration.

I wonder how the passing performance is? I currently own a 2018 BMW 340i. The power at passing speeds 60-90 is impressive.

How would the Model 3 perform? Compare?

TIA

I don't think the 60-90 speed is phenomenal. It's certainly quick, but quick is relative. The key is that it happens instantly, so it certainly feels faster than my neighbor's 2018 BMW M5 because it happens so much more quickly. The M5 takes what feels like an eternity to downshift and accelerate compared to my Model 3 Performance.

I suppose that also begs the question: Which Model 3 version are you asking about? :)

I don't think the 60-90 speed is phenomenal. It's certainly quick, but quick is relative. The key is that it happens instantly, so it certainly feels faster than my neighbor's 2018 BMW M5 because it happens so much more quickly. The M5 takes what feels like an eternity to downshift and accelerate compared to my Model 3 Performance.

I suppose that also begs the question: Which Model 3 version are you asking about? :)

Not sure about the 2018 M5, but I can attest that the 2019/2020 M5 Competition will pass by me after about 80 or 90 from directly behind me and side by side at 50 mph it pulls away if already down shifted. This was shown when I went up against one while at 40% SoC.

Not sure about the 2018 M5, but I can attest that the 2019/2020 M5 Competition will pass by me after about 80 or 90 from directly behind me and side by side at 50 mph it pulls away if already down shifted. This was shown when I went up against one while at 40% SoC.

Right, but it's all about waiting for the downshift. If it's not downshifted it will take waaaay longer to catch you. Also 40% SoC is a pretty significant decrease in power if I remember correctly. Either way, if the M5 isn't prepared for it... bye bye M5 (up until way beyond legal speeds).

I know the Model 3 has incredible off the line acceleration.

I wonder how the passing performance is? I currently own a 2018 BMW 340i. The power at passing speeds 60-90 is impressive.

How would the Model 3 perform? Compare?

TIA

If you are talking about a model 3 Performance, it will feel noticeably quicker at just about any speed you will be driving it, both off the line and 50-90, than your 340. An M3 (the real one) would hang with it at that speeds if it was in the right gear to start, then pull away at faster speeds.

Im not sure which one you are talking about, but going to assume you are talking about the model 3 performance, since you are coming from a 340 and the pricing of both would be similar once you add options to the 340.

Reactions: Lindenwood

High speed (high motor RPM) power falls off dramatically with SOC, and by 40% SOC, it feels pretty anemic compared to when it is 85+% SOC. Real world passing is mostly from 25-80 MPH - beyond that you are doing something pretty seriously illegal, and nothing outside of exotics catches the DMP version of the Model 3 in that 25-80 MPH speed range - esp. when you factor in the time needed to downshift. Even a late gen Ferrari struggles to close on the DMP unless already down shifted. Pull from 90+ MPH isn't as impressive as the combination of declining HP and increasing drag takes its toll, but again, passing power at 90+MPH is not useful in the real world, unless you're either at the drags, track racing, or doing something seriously illegal.

M3P here. It is a rocket to about 60mph or so. The performance at highway speeds is still impressive because the throttle response is instantaneous, however the lack of gearing causes the torque to drop off significantly at higher speeds. The M3 will get the jump but high horsepower cars will chase down the and pass M3 if given enough road. The M3 has much more usable performance at street legal speeds.

Sorry, I should have stated the LR AWD and likely the accel boost software.

I have considered the Model 3 Performance model but the larger wheels/tires are not something I am keen on. I have 19in wheels on my 340i(RFT) lost 2 tires with minor pot holes here in Tampa area and the lower profile on the wheels are more prone to damage.

I feel the turbo lag at times front a stop and less often at passing speeds in the 340(has 320hp). However, I am always awed by the power at passing speeds after a slight hesitation and boom she goes.

I read in the Model S forum someone was not real impressed with passing performance. From a stop it was jaw dropping.

Per Car And Driver, here are some measured 50-70 times:

2019 Model 3 LR AWD: 1.9
2020 BMW M340i: 2.9
2019 BMW M5 Competition: 2.4
2016 BMW M3 DCT Competition: 2.8
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio: 3.0
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S: 2.6
2018 McLaren 720S: 2.7

I was actually not able to find any car (aside from faster Teslas) with a faster 50-70 time. And this isn’t even the fast Model 3!

High speed (high motor RPM) power falls off dramatically with SOC, and by 40% SOC, it feels pretty anemic compared to when it is 85+% SOC. Real world passing is mostly from 25-80 MPH - beyond that you are doing something pretty seriously illegal, and nothing outside of exotics catches the DMP version of the Model 3 in that 25-80 MPH speed range - esp. when you factor in the time needed to downshift. Even a late gen Ferrari struggles to close on the DMP unless already down shifted. Pull from 90+ MPH isn't as impressive as the combination of declining HP and increasing drag takes its toll, but again, passing power at 90+MPH is not useful in the real world, unless you're either at the drags, track racing, or doing something seriously illegal.

Absolutely SoC makes a noticeable difference. I think it's worth pointing out atleast because that is the one drawback to the car, but hopefully that will change in future iterations. As far as being less useful in the real world past 90, I think that's pretty obvious. But I think to be honest 50-80 mph passing could use an improvement- which I anticipate we'll see in the next gen 3 or 100 kWh version. And here in Texas, I take the 130 toll road often where the speed limit is 85 and yet people still manage to clog up the lanes driving well below the speed limit.

And to WilliamG's point - yes indeed it's waiting for that downshift. If we are in real world circumstances and I want to pass and they have to react to play catch up, I will have the edge every time.

Last edited:
Interesting that while the passing speed is very quick, it will not feel as quick as in an ICE.

When you put the pedal down in a Tesla...it just goes. Quietly and smoothly.

In an ICE you put the pedal down and initially it just sits there. The transmission takes some time to downshift a few gears, the turbos take some time to spool up, the driveling takes a moment to load....them WHAM. Sound of the engine rises to redline, intake noise increases and the exhaust roars. The suspension squats and the nose rises. Sounds like you are going like crazy...but the Tesla is most of the way there before the ICE even begins it;s charge.