Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my model 3 a performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, first post here. Anyways, I just picked up a 2019 model 3 with 100k miles off Facebook marketplace in Chicago. I was told it was the “stealth performance”. They said that it has the performance motors and speed, but just not the badging and cosmetics. That’s what the service department at Tesla told them anyways.

I’ve been in a lot of sports cars and can tell what kind of 0-60 time a car is getting when driving it. This model 3 definitely was not getting near the 3.1 0-60 mark the performance model is claimed to achieve. When looking in the app there is an upgrade option “acceleration boost” you can buy for $2000. And it says it will make 0-60 time from 4.2 to 3.7 seconds.

So my question now is, is my car actually the performance model or not? Even if I bought this upgrade, I would be getting a claimed 3.7 seconds instead of the 3.1 seconds the performance model is rated at.

I’m already looking at selling the car to get an actual performance model. But want to know what it is for sure so I don’t screw the next buyer.

Does not appear that you have a Performance model. There are two things that will confirm this.
1. When you open your app (or look on the display screen in your car), you should see a red line underneath the words “Dual Motor”. That red line indicates you have a true performance model/motor. Below is a screen shot of the mobile app for my vehicle.
2. You should not see the option for an acceleration boost, because one is not available/offered to any vehicle that is already a performance model.

IMG_7455.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
Upvote 0
The other way to know if you have performance for sure is checking under "Driving and Steering."
If you have track mode, you have a performance. If you don't, you don't.

There was a $2,000 "acceleration boost" for some non-performance models. This did make the 0-60 of them between an AWD and a full performance. This has to be what the seller was describing. But this does not make it a full performance or give you track mode.

"Stealth performance" were a small number of cars they sold with the performance acceleration, but not the performance brakes and thus could run 19" or 18" wheels. For 95% of performance cars, you can identify them from 100 feet away via the red brake calipers.

Upvote 0
There is no such option $2k upgrade for a Performance Model 3.
In July of 2019, you could get a Performance 3 without PUP (Performance Upgrade Package - 20" wheels, bigger brakes, lowered suspension, spoiler). These were off menu, inventory only models. They were $2k above the Dual Motor Long Range model. They were referred to as "Stealth Performance" and these have the 980 rear motors. I bought my stealth in late July 2019 and Tesla offered these for a few months more in 2019.

• Informative
Reactions: GtiMart
Upvote 0
So my question now is, is my car actually the performance model or not?
With what you have posted, it seems pretty clear to me its not a performance.

There is no red line. The seller said it used to say “performance” somewhere on the screen but then vanished with an update.
So, basically, the seller is telling you that it isnt a performance model... and that they knew it wasnt one because they knew the performance "vanished with an update".

They likely didnt pay for the performance model, because if they had, they would have fought to get it back, vs "it vanished after an update".

They definitely misled you, and it seems to me they did so entirely on purpose.

Upvote 0
I assume yours shows the red line under "dual motor" on the screen and in the app, and you have track mode in driving and steering?
Yes and yes. Those were part of the delivery checklist back in the day for the stealth. My car also had the correct badge on delivery. I mention this bc at the time, some cars were delivered with only the dual motor badge (no underline). Most if not all forum members got them replaced with the correct badge. However, I’m sure some owners never noticed so there are probably a fair amount of them out there.

Upvote 0
@cdmarsee - just a heads up... if you can get someone to purchase a new car from Tesla using your referral link, it'll earn you enough credit to get acceleration boost for free.

The car is already fast though.

My take is that the previous owner probably got rid of it because the battery and drive unit warranty is over (or close to over if 120k miles). The app will tell you how much warranty is left.

Major repairs are very expensive on an out-of-warranty Tesla.

Upvote 0
Yes and yes. Those were part of the delivery checklist back in the day for the stealth. My car also had the correct badge on delivery. I mention this bc at the time, some cars were delivered with only the dual motor badge (no underline). Most if not all forum members got them replaced with the correct badge. However, I’m sure some owners never noticed so there are probably a fair amount of them out there.
Wouldn't it be funny if they had mixed up the badges at the assembly line at the time and what to be know as stealth performance came out of it

Upvote 0
Wouldn't it be funny if they had mixed up the badges at the assembly line at the time and what to be know as stealth performance came out of it

Except thats not anywhere near what happened though, because at the very beginning of the launch of the performance model, the "performance package" was an add on purchase that was 5k.

That performance package was all the stuff that was visible about being a performance package. The default configuration was basically what came to be known as a stealth performance. Tesla later (like a month or two later) made the performance package ( the visible parts) "standard", and then sold what we call the stealth performance off menu, off and on.

• Informative
Reactions: GreenHokie
Upvote 0