Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long after a low 12v battery warning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once the low 12v battery warning pops up, how long do you have till it dies?

Asking since the first available service date is more than a month from now. The existing 12v battery is 4 years old.
Turn on Sentry and turn off all exclusions. When Sentry is on the car does not go to sleep. When the car is awake the 12v system is powered by the DC-DC converter from the HV battery. The 12v battery is not used, only charged.

If your car is under warranty the replacement will be for free. There are a lot of negative posts about the Ohmmu battery, some because Tesla does not “support” the battery and others about a reduction in quality. If you are considering the Ohmmu just do your homework.

I've no sentry feature. I'm on ESA but that does not cover the 12v.
Hmm. So I see you have a 2015 car. Pretty sure you can turn on ”camp mode” before leaving the car and it will accomplish the same objective of keeping the car awake. Just turn off the HVAC.

You can also call the parts department and order the battery, then pick it up. Pretty sure you can also order one through the app. There are plenty of YouTube Videos on how to replace the battery, pretty easy DIY.

The Tesla battery will be relatively inexpensive. I found this solution as well, but I have no personal experience to offier:

I've been getting that same low voltage message since 3/22 but my 12V battery readings (from the nosecone) ranges between 12.7V-13.7V. I've just carried on over the last 11 months/14K miles and take a reading a day before I need to drive the car. I'm not sure what's causing the warning to be triggered but the battery is about 3yr/30K miles old. Tesla SC preemptively replaced my old 12V battery when they replaced the HV contactors so I'm not familiar with what a dying 12V battery is like

X-referencing from the other thread is very relevant. Thanks @maximizese .

At this point, out of warranty, should one just proactively replace the 12V.. any downside to that?

update: I guess by downside, do profiles and settings get wiped, or does the main high voltage battery maintain these items if the 12V fails or is swapped out?

Last edited:
At this point, out of warranty, should one just proactively replace the 12V.. any downside to that?
Only the cost of a new battery.

Pretty sure profile settings are contained in Non-volatile memory (NVM). If not, I think we wold have heard a lot of complaints by now since it is important to ensure the HV battery is not supplying power to the 12V system when changing the battery.

Last edited:

update: I guess by downside, do profiles and settings get wiped, or does the main high voltage battery maintain these items if the 12V fails or is swapped out?
No reason to replace something that's not broken, and no you don't lose anything when you pop the battery out, even pulling the firemans loop doesn't get rid of your settings or profiles. All that crap is stored on the MCU on non-volatile memory just like your computer at the house if you turn it off and unplug it from the wall everything is fine because its all stored on non-volatile storage (SSD, hard drive, M.2, etc.)

I've gone 25 days from when the replace the 12v warning came up till i got a chance to actually replace it. you can just buy the battery directly from tesla its $165 PN: (1083774-00-B) swapping it out takes like 10 minutes in the driveway.

No reason to replace something that's not broken, and no you don't lose anything when you pop the battery out, even pulling the firemans loop doesn't get rid of your settings or profiles. All that crap is stored on the MCU on non-volatile memory just like your computer at the house if you turn it off and unplug it from the wall everything is fine because its all stored on non-volatile storage (SSD, hard drive, M.2, etc.)

I've gone 25 days from when the replace the 12v warning came up till i got a chance to actually replace it. you can just buy the battery directly from tesla its $165 PN: (1083774-00-B) swapping it out takes like 10 minutes in the driveway.
Thanks for the update and info. Sounds easy enough. I guess my concern is/was that I have read other reports and user reports on other forums that indicate that in some cases, it’s often hours and not DAYS between getting the warning alert and the vehicle not being able to be used? Could be corner cases, could be user error / lying / exaggerating for sure. It WOULD seem however, that whatever battery was in these early days cars from 2017/2018 does seem to fail before I at least would expect them to. Being 4.6 years out from delivery at this point, I’m probably ok with the cost now, today vs. most likely a little bit later in time.

Thanks for the update and info. Sounds easy enough. I guess my concern is/was that I have read other reports and user reports on other forums that indicate that in some cases, it’s often hours and not DAYS between getting the warning alert and the vehicle not being able to be used? Could be corner cases, could be user error / lying / exaggerating for sure. It WOULD seem however, that whatever battery was in these early days cars from 2017/2018 does seem to fail before I at least would expect them to. Being 4.6 years out from delivery at this point, I’m probably ok with the cost now, today vs. most likely a little bit later in time.
I've replaced the battery 3 times that i can remember and its usually about 1.5 years after i replaced it the last time. Its likely my DC to DC converter is taking a dump and overcharging it, thus causing it to degrade faster. but since i have to pull the HV battery to replace the DC to DC converter and the fact that thing is stupid expensive I'm just rolling with it till it breaks fully.

I have a model 3 with a lead acid 12v. I got a 12v battery alert and didn't replace it for almost a month after. The alert just stays on your screen and phone. They fixed all the 12v issues with software updates. I haven't seen any recent posts of someone's just failing or the car turning off.

By on the phone you mean on the Tesla app? My app is not showing any low 12v alert. My car's screens of course do.
Yea I got a push alert on my Tesla app also. Then it had a schedule service thing to push. You might not have it because you already scheduled the 12v battery replacement.

If you send Tesla a chat message they will move up your service date and schedule it for roadside rather than at the service center. It only takes 5mins to replace the 12v so they do it mobile and fit it in. If you added anything additional to the service date that could be why you have such a far out date.

Reactions: Rocky_H
If you send Tesla a chat message they will move up your service date and schedule it for roadside rather than at the service center. It only takes 5mins to replace the 12v so they do it mobile and fit it in. If you added anything additional to the service date that could be why you have such a far out date.

I was hoping you wouldn't bring that up since it raises my blood pressure :)

I've sent them multiple messages. No responses to any of them.

I've asked to get an earlier mobile service (they still show the SeC as the location) - no response.

I've asked them to correct the only message they have sent which was an erroneous invoice to approve that has $200 deductible added for the ESA coverage (my extended service warranty). No response.

Also, the funny thing is that the ESA does not even cover 12v replacement, and even if it did the connotation is that being under ESA costs you $200 more than being out of it!!!

Unbelievable lack of communication and just flatly ignoring the customer inquiries.

If you just sent them the messages it normally takes them days to reply.

The initial invoice they sent you is probably just automated. They will fix it eventually.

12v batteries are normally not a warranty item. It is strange that Tesla covers them to begin with under the regular warranty. However 12v batteries do normally come with their own manufacturer warranty so I wonder if Tesla covers them because they send them back to hankook. If you were to buy a hankook battery from a store it comes with a 4 year warranty.

I thought I'd cross-reference a thread I made earlier this year when my low voltage message came across the IC:

Basically no one knows who long the 12V battery will last; seems to last longer on the older Model S cars but there appears to be an issue with possibly the QC of the 12V battery and duty/overcharging of the 12V system.

I've replaced the battery 3 times that i can remember and its usually about 1.5 years after i replaced it the last time. Its likely my DC to DC converter is taking a dump and overcharging it, thus causing it to degrade faster. but since i have to pull the HV battery to replace the DC to DC converter and the fact that thing is stupid expensive I'm just rolling with it till it breaks fully.

As for replacing the DC-DC converter, I found that Hybrid Revolt does a core-swap and repair of the 1st gen converters for ~$255 which is a nice alternative. I haven't heard of any reviews but at least it's an option:

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke