Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long can tires sit in a cold/hot garage un-mounted?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan on switching to winter tires later this year and want to just leave my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 in tire bags in our garage. I can either leave them in a garage in Tahoe where the temps will range from 20* to 60* from November - April, or I can leave them in our Bay Area garage where temps should range from 40* to 80* during that same time period. Does anyone have any expert opinion on which is less harmful for the tires? It is safe to leave them unmounted and off rims for that long?

Ideally you have a second set of wheels and set the pressure to 8-10 psi. Get them off the concrete using some wood (like a pallet). If you don't elect to get additional wheels (which will actually save you money in mounting and balancing as well as reduce the chance of mounting damage) stack them sidewall to sidewall, off the concrete and don't set anything on top of them (unless you use a pallet tube to take the load). Cold is better than hot.

I plan on switching to winter tires later this year and want to just leave my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 in tire bags in our garage. I can either leave them in a garage in Tahoe where the temps will range from 20* to 60* from November - April, or I can leave them in our Bay Area garage where temps should range from 40* to 80* during that same time period. Does anyone have any expert opinion on which is less harmful for the tires? It is safe to leave them unmounted and off rims for that long?

Yes, it's perfectly safe to store unmounted tires for that long.
You want to keep them above 20F, so to be on the safe side, 40-80F temp range option would be safer.
Key to storing tires is keeping them out of direct sunlight, and away from UV and ozone (e.g.: electric motors, furnaces, central vacuums, or your basement sump pump). Cool and dry places work beset,

More info here:
Seven Tips For Storing Tires | Continental
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=37

HTH,
a

Yes, it's perfectly safe to store unmounted tires for that long.
You want to keep them above 20F, so to be on the safe side, 40-80F temp range option would be safer.
Key to storing tires is keeping them out of direct sunlight, and away from UV and ozone (e.g.: electric motors, furnaces, central vacuums, or your basement sump pump). Cool and dry places work beset,

More info here:
Seven Tips For Storing Tires | Continental
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=37

HTH,
a

Thanks! I found that article as well. I love hearing from the community that more folks here have done the same.

tires take a lot of garage space as well. if you own and are tight on space, i highly recommend one of these. i've taken it with me to every house that i've owned and while it can be a bit of a pain to get the wheels on the rack, it keeps them safe and out of the way.

https://www.amazon.com/HyLoft-01000-Multi-Tire-Rack-Storage/dp/B0016SOF7Y

Seconded.

uMcJ7cB.png

Worth noting: Because :California:, I keep a tiedown strap going through each wheel at the back corner of the rack (IDK why it's towards the front in that pic) in case of earthquake to keep the wheels from coming down on my car if we get a shaker.

.. I keep a tiedown strap going through each wheel at the back corner of the rack (IDK why it's towards the front in that pic) in case of earthquake to keep the wheels from coming down on my car if we get a shaker.
that's an interesting rack... tires actually sit lower in the HyLoft rack. given the weight and positioning, i think a lot more in your house would be falling over than a couple tires if you had a quake strong enough to dislodge them.

that's an interesting rack... tires actually sit lower in the HyLoft rack. given the weight and positioning, i think a lot more in your house would be falling over than a couple tires if you had a quake strong enough to dislodge them.

Mine's a hyloft too, just a slightly diff model (it can fold when not in use).

But yeah, you're right about other stuff coming down, but nothing else in the house getting damaged worries me like the idea of my car getting damaged by stuff falling on it :p