Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how long does windshield replacement take?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ran into a baseball-sized rock the other day in my 23MYLR. I took delivery it in mid-February so I'm kind of PO'd. Safelite tells me me it's an all day, 8am-5pm, job to replace the windshield and calibrate the multiple sensors. I'm going in Tuesday to get that done.

Attachments

• 23MYLR.jpg
    23MYLR.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
I just had mine replaced yesterday at Tesla in Lynnwood WA, they took an hour maybe? The install looks great, all the edges are even and the height where it meets the glass roof is spot on.

Tesla doesn’t accept insurance here in WA so I had to pay out of pocket but am being reimbursed by Progressive. I could have had it done at Safelite and not had to pay/get reimbursed but I wanted it done at Tesla.

Reactions: brkaus
I ran into a baseball-sized rock the other day in my 23MYLR. I took delivery it in mid-February so I'm kind of PO'd. Safelite tells me me it's an all day, 8am-5pm, job to replace the windshield and calibrate the multiple sensors. I'm going in Tuesday to get that done.

The car calibrates itself it is in the menu now ("Controls > Service > Camera Calibration > Clear Calibration").

I'd trust a shop that changes windows all day every day rather than Tesla SC.

The car calibrates itself it is in the menu now ("Controls > Service > Camera Calibration > Clear Calibration").

I'd trust a shop that changes windows all day every day rather than Tesla SC.
Your reasoning isn't necessarily wrong, but I don't think it's quite that cut and dried. Safelite, which does windshields all day every day isn't perfect. I've had them screw up a windshield replacement before (Acura, not Tesla). They tend to use relatively unexperienced techs sometimes, at least that's my experience. But I would say that Safelite is getting more experienced with Teslas which is good. The only really negative thing I hear about Safelite is that they supposedly still charge for the calibration, even though the car does that on its own now. Yea, if your insurance is paying some people might not care, but unnecessary charges screw up insurance rates for everyone.

While Tesla service can leave a lot to be desired, they know the car, and probably have more experience installing windshields than a lot of others *at the moment*. But I'm sure Safelite is catching up fast.

Reactions: Tiger
I’d still f

I’d still use the repair kit as a temp fix, to stop the crack/expansion. Windshield will still need to be replaced.

The problem with these cracks is that moisture will still get in unless you fill it. And when you add hearing/cooling to moisture… crack keeps growing. I won’t be too concerned about the windshield shattering since it’s tempered glass.

Good luck!
No, water won’t penetrate the laminate.