Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long one has to wait to get the V9?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our new (delivered Sept. 22) S 75D has been sitting in our WiFi-accessible garage since we brought it home. We haven't been driving it because...

can i suggest you unpair your car from your wifi at home, let it sit for a few hours and then re-pair it. you would be surprised what a little "refresh" will do to a car that has been sitting idle.

if you wanted to do this right... the car out for a spin.. if you do this.. then there is no need to unpair from your wifi.

sounds like you aren't in much of a hurry to upgrade to V9

can i suggest you unpair your car from your wifi at home, let it sit for a few hours and then re-pair it. you would be surprised what a little "refresh" will do to a car that has been sitting idle.

if you wanted to do this right... the car out for a spin.. if you do this.. then there is no need to unpair from your wifi.

sounds like you aren't in much of a hurry to upgrade to V9

Thanks for the tip. I suspected that might be the case, so I told my wife we're taking it out to dinner tonight. Well, OK, I suggested to my wife that we should take it out tonight. Let's see what happens overnight. Frankly I don't care what version it is, I just want to drive it. It's her car for work (realtor) and she's been waiting for the lease to run out on the car this is replacing... hence the delay.

596540F4-9BA7-4E30-A7DA-DB0E9C7ED7E1.jpeg
Finally. Thought I was going to be last to get it.

They do send out updates via cellular, but seem to always favor wifi. In addition to this, many people were seeing 5-10GB data transfers over wifi before they got V9 (me included). These are likely maps upgrades, and I hear those ONLY go over wifi, so you might need to park near a coffee shop with free wifi for a bit, or your nearest Tesla service center to get on their wifi for those maps.

This is most certainly the case. I was complaining that I wasn't getting V9, and realized I had changed my WiFi password at home and hadn't updated the cars connections. After I reconnected both to WiFi, my two Teslas received the update within one hour. I doubt that was a coincidence.

I think you should be glad you haven't gotten version 9 yet. I have it and I *hate* the new user interface with the heat of a thousand suns. It sucks.
I hated the UI changes in the last major update (was that V7?). You know what? After a few weeks I realized I liked it.
We are not wired to like people changing UIs for us. But once we have retrained our own neural networks it rarely is not worth it (I still remember the complaints about Windows 95 over Windows 3.1, or XP over 95, then 7 over XP...).

Sorry for your pain. The news is that the different road painting designs in Europe are delaying V9. Perhaps a more unified EU with all EU road regulations post-Brexit just to keep it simple? ☹️

I’ve seen that comment in respect of Nav to Drive (if I’ve remembered the phrase correctly) and that's been pulled anyway. The rest of V9 should be workable dhouldn’t It?