Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long one has to wait to get the V9?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they're rolling it out in stages, letting the first customers test things out first. When they rolled out increased nags, both our cars got an update on the same night. Any other updates always come days or weeks apart (as long as 8 weeks). Out AP1 got got v9 last week, AP2.5 is still waiting - both on the same WiFi in the garage every night.

Previous major releases have taken one to two months before all cars received the update.

Unless Tesla has changed their software distribution process - they'll release it in a seemingly random order in batches, periodically pausing distribution if a major bug is encountered (until the bug is fixed).

Musk claimed owners would soon be able to have more control over new software releases, with the ability to request a release be downloaded to their cars - maybe we'll see that included in either the V9 release or a subsequent update.

Is a wifi connection the car needed, or does it just speed up receiving the update?
Zero chance of getting wifi to my communal underground garage
They do send out updates via cellular, but seem to always favor wifi. In addition to this, many people were seeing 5-10GB data transfers over wifi before they got V9 (me included). These are likely maps upgrades, and I hear those ONLY go over wifi, so you might need to park near a coffee shop with free wifi for a bit, or your nearest Tesla service center to get on their wifi for those maps.

Is a wifi connection the car needed, or does it just speed up receiving the update?
Zero chance of getting wifi to my communal underground garage

Does your car still get its Cellular Signal in this Underground Garage?
and don't worry, plenty of people don't have it yet. I'm on Strong WiFi at Home and my Business (Advantage of owning the place and doing all my own IT). I bought 2 more Access Points to cover the Back corners 1 of which has my Charging Port. So I'm plugged in and on Strong WiFi and don't have v9

Does your car still get its Cellular Signal in this Underground Garage?
and don't worry, plenty of people don't have it yet. I'm on Strong WiFi at Home and my Business (Advantage of owning the place and doing all my own IT). I bought 2 more Access Points to cover the Back corners 1 of which has my Charging Port. So I'm plugged in and on Strong WiFi and don't have v9
Actually no cellular or wifi at work or at home. On that basis I guess I'll struggle to get any updates. The car says 2018.32.2 at the moment

Or you can get 4 Qualifying Referrals which will give you:
Priority Access to Vehicle Software Updates
Be the first to experience the latest Tesla software updates with priority access to selected releases. SMH SMH SMH

The new referral awards #4 truly stinks