Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long to delay delivery to reduce fit and finish issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my text for my Model Y delivery today (ironically as I was reading a thread on Reddit about fit and finish issues with the MY). It says to reply ASAP for delivery in June or text DELAY with a preferred month to take delivery. I don't need the car right now as my current car is fine, so I am about 90% sure I am going to hold off for a bit until Tesla can get its act together with the paint and other issues.

Based on what happened with the M3 and given Tesla has probably has had a few more learnings since then, when do you all think that fit and finish issues will be reduced significantly? I know there is no way to know for sure but an educated guess is better than nothing. My thoughts- 90 days to ramp up the production line post shut down and another 90 days to make process changes based on current issues? That means December of this year, so maybe delay delivery for the holidays or January 2021. What do you think?

Blue/White interior/LR AWD/No FSD/Gemini 19's
Ordered mid-February, SF Bay Area

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
Paint, panel gaps, and glass/trim damage have been par for the course since the first Tesla. You still see the same threads in all prior models’ forums.

You can try to apply logic, but all signs point to you having about the same chances of issues at delivery today, tomorrow, or in 2022.

edit: the M3 I purchased in mid 2018 had far fewer QC issues than the one I purchased in late 2019. But I’m still waiting for my MY, because I know nothing is changing soon

Last edited:
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Paint, panel gaps, and glass/trim damage have been par for the course since the first Tesla. You still see the same threads in all prior models’ forums.

You can try to apply logic, but all signs point to you having about the same chances of issues at delivery today, tomorrow, or in 2022.

edit: the M3 I purchased in mid 2018 had far fewer QC issues than the one I purchased in late 2019. But I’m still waiting for my MY, because I know nothing is changing soon

This!

Quality control is just random. All you can do is place your order and hope you are one of the lucky ones.

With buying Teslas, the best thing you can do it put yourself in a position where you can easily reject delivery or return the car within the 7 day window. That's not easy because it means having another car to drive in the meantime, and financial flexibility while Tesla gets to roll around in your money for a couple of months, not timing it so close to any tax rebates expirations, and most importantly, being able to handle the disappointment after the long wait and anticipation of getting your new Tesla.

Did the rate of defects with later models of the M3 really not get better? Aside from your anecdotal experience my impression from following Tesla for a while was that the earlier M3's had some significant issues but things got better over time (obviously never getting to 100% perfection).

I took delivery of a LR AWD, white, black int, no FSD, 19" on Tuesday in Springfield, NJ. Overall, the car is in great shape. There were NO paint issues. None. I couldn't believe it!! There is one panel gap that is slightly large, but not very noticeable. Both have been addressed and will be corrected. Overall, my experience was very positive. I think that reading these forums and seeing all the issues made me think I was going to have a bunch of issues. There were 8 or 9 other Ys ready for delivery while I was there. I know not all of those people were looking over their cars with a fine tooth comb.

I took delivery of a LR AWD, white, black int, no FSD, 19" on Tuesday in Springfield, NJ. Overall, the car is in great shape. There were NO paint issues. None. I couldn't believe it!! There is one panel gap that is slightly large, but not very noticeable. Both have been addressed and will be corrected. Overall, my experience was very positive. I think that reading these forums and seeing all the issues made me think I was going to have a bunch of issues. There were 8 or 9 other Ys ready for delivery while I was there. I know not all of those people were looking over their cars with a fine tooth comb.
And your experience is more typical. I can't believe the same malcontents (non-MY owners themselves) spew on every thread intimating that problems are the norm. Perhaps those folks have ulterior motives.

Well, if I really needed a car in the next few months I would probably take delivery anyway despite the anecdotal reports and what Sandy Munro said.

I do disagree with the sentiment that "You can try to apply logic, but all signs point to you having about the same chances of issues at delivery today, tomorrow, or in 2022". For this statement to be true, what would also have to be true is that there is not a continuous feedback loop that results in process improvement in the production line. Everything I know about engineering and Elon Musk would make that latter statement quite unlikely.

I think I'll delay until December/January and re-evaluate later. I can always re-order if I want it earlier as it seems like some people are getting the delivery text after a month or two right now.

BTW I test drove a Model X recently. The build quality was terrible. Craziest huge panel gaps I've seen on any car let alone one costing 100K+, and X has been many years in production.....
So I wouldn't wait. Get what you get and dont get upset, or shop elsewhere.

To me a Tesla is a state-of-the-EV-art vehicle chassis and drivetrain with finely crafted internals, although on some examples the exterior seems put together by a class of preschoolers. Our family owns three Teslas with an RN on a fourth (CT), and this sentiment could be applied to all of our first three (although minor/fixable enough to not be deal breakers). Sandy Munro pretty much summarizes this sentiment in his videos.

I received my text for my Model Y delivery today (ironically as I was reading a thread on Reddit about fit and finish issues with the MY). It says to reply ASAP for delivery in June or text DELAY with a preferred month to take delivery. I don't need the car right now as my current car is fine, so I am about 90% sure I am going to hold off for a bit until Tesla can get its act together with the paint and other issues.

Based on what happened with the M3 and given Tesla has probably has had a few more learnings since then, when do you all think that fit and finish issues will be reduced significantly? I know there is no way to know for sure but an educated guess is better than nothing. My thoughts- 90 days to ramp up the production line post shut down and another 90 days to make process changes based on current issues? That means December of this year, so maybe delay delivery for the holidays or January 2021. What do you think?

I don't think delaying your order means that Tesla will continue to work on your car to make it better. Likely the car will be stored until you are ready for pickup. If you are not in need of the car immediately, then I'd go to the pickup and inspection and just return the car if you find issues you are not happy with, then reorder again. Rinse and repeat until you get one you are satisfied with. Since build quality issues seem to be random, you are likely to get one you are happy with within a few tries.

So you'll get responses like it will never be what you want it to be and just accept the car. However, from the M3, it does seem like after a year their issues has dramatically decreased. However, it is still not perfect.

I plan on waiting till 2021 to accept my order as I am in no rush as well.

I know Elon sent an email that he wanted to make sure the cars come out better so they aren't so many follow up repair visits but who knows what that could mean.

I don't think delaying your order means that Tesla will continue to work on your car to make it better. Likely the car will be stored until you are ready for pickup. If you are not in need of the car immediately, then I'd go to the pickup and inspection and just return the car if you find issues you are not happy with, then reorder again. Rinse and repeat until you get one you are satisfied with. Since build quality issues seem to be random, you are likely to get one you are happy with within a few tries.

I know they just give the car to someone else. It does seem like rinsing and repeating is a good idea but it seems so time consuming and a hassle.

I know they just give the car to someone else. It does seem like rinsing and repeating is a good idea but it seems so time consuming and a hassle.
If they give the car to someone else then you might have passed up on a good one. Since the OP is not in any rush to take delivery and is willing to wait longer for build quality that is acceptable, then he should review the car they have ready for him now to see if it meets his criteria. If not, then refuse delivery and start over. That seems to be the only option for getting the quality you want.

Reactions: everydaychris