Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long would you wait to get the redesigned Model S?

How long would you wait to get the redesigned Model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally, If I was in the market for a new vehicle, I would have no qualms placing my order today and waiting however long it takes to get delivery. It is a leap of faith, hard to calculate the perfect time.

If I undesrtood correctly, the question was how long you would wait regardless of the fastest possible delivery time. So saying 12 months means one does not trust Tesla to get it's *hit together for a new model in a shorter timeframe. Which it probably won't, but hopefully the Plaid+ will be quite great a year from now.

I am quite surprised how many people voted for 12+ months. I wonder if this is a product of negative personal experience? Or is it. more about Tesla's reputation with new vehicles?

I don’t think it’s just quality reasons to wait.

Folks see all the incremental updates that have been happening and significant price adjustments on all models.

If I undesrtood correctly, the question was how long you would wait regardless of the fastest possible delivery time. So saying 12 months means one does not trust Tesla to get it's *hit together for a new model in a shorter timeframe. Which it probably won't, but hopefully the Plaid+ will be quite great a year from now.

unfortunately I think the plaid+ will be great 12 months after first customer shipment - which maybe will happen at the end of this year if we (and they) are lucky. I can probably accept some pain, but not as much as with the p85dl. So I’ll wait a minimum 6 months after first customer shipments this time, the either plaid+ or LR with 4680 (after they ship that).

I ordered within a few minutes of seeing the refresh. I had been waiting to jump on a new one but couldn't justify the upgrade from my 75D until it would really feel like a new car.

I'm really not worried about the normal production issues people complain about. It's a refresh, not a whole new line. I bought right after the first refresh and the car was great. I have no worries that this one will be too.

But holy crap I hope it comes with a normal wheel. WTF are they thinking...

I don’t think that wheel is going away. It’s a fundamental part of the new interior. And a move towards FSD.

Reactions: Fred42 and Thp3
I
12 months wait....too many experienced Tesla owners on this site.

btw: I could live with the odd steering wheel but I wish Tesla would go back to the structure of the old seat (the new one's headrest is too forward) and introduce a massage seat (Audi Q7's is damn good).
also really miss those front seat pockets on the first cars.... it was so dang handy

Reactions: X Fan
If you like Tesla then just get it. You can never wait for any tech to keep getting better and better. It’s obvious that every new version will be better than previous one so it’s a never ending cycle just buy the dam thing you want and enjoy it. Who know how long you will live. Life is too short to keep waiting for a refined version. You get the best one and a year later you will be like oh I wish I waited and the regret goes on. DONT REGRET. Live your life at the moment!

Reactions: Fred42
Worst case scenario for many early adopters is that they get to enjoy their car for a full year, but might need to take it into service a couple times.

People waiting for a perfect, no issues car, will be waiting forever.

A comprimise solution is to buy a used Tesla that the current owner has worked out all the bugs on.

Worst case scenario for many early adopters is that they get to enjoy their car for a full year, but might need to take it into service a couple times.

People waiting for a perfect, no issues car, will be waiting forever.

A comprimise solution is to buy a used Tesla that the current owner has worked out all the bugs on.

Or buy a one a new one now from inventory, on "clearance", with most of the bugs worked out :)
And even more Range on Model X and includes air suspension (which is currently unknown on the new models at the moment).

Probably eventual price drop on 18650's later this year when 4680's start to come out

But I think just with that new interior the S alone is worth whatever price it is and order whenever you can. Can't wait to go for a ride in one

There's no choice of FOREVER, so I didn't vote.

I won't be buying another Tesla. The customer service is the worst of any company (car or otherwise) I've ever dealt with, so I will look elsewhere when I'm ready for my next car.

I wonder if I'd be like you if I received "the worst customer service"?

Answer: No, I would not lol

Reactions: SO16
Once again Tesla is not able to do everything they want due to lack of enough batteries, and in the right sizes.

Elon was clairvoyant when he proclaimed that making cars without first making batteries was not going to work.

He has ramped up battery production far higher than any other auto manufacturer, but still many products He would like to produce need to be put on the back burner until enough correct batteries can be sourced.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
Probably eventual price drop on 18650's later this year when 4680's start to come out

But I think just with that new interior the S alone is worth whatever price it is and order whenever you can. Can't wait to go for a ride in one

I wonder if I'd be like you if I received "the worst customer service"?

Answer: No, I would not lol

To be fair, my guess is anyone could feel that way of pretty much any company. We all have our limits. We've all seen some customer service (not necessarily Tesla) and said, I'm never gonna dealing with that brand again. It's usually just one individual that is a poor representative (most of the time), one that breaks the camels back.

There have been some real horror stories on the forums on how some customers have been treated by SC or Tesla (many sound like problematic customers too). But some are real head shakers. And if I was treated the way some were I don't blame them. I have had great luck with Tesla (over all). In over 2 years one of my Tesla's has had to go to SC once. Rear window stress crack. Overall the service was great. But they did goof reinstalling interior trim (due to a factory error) and got bit of grease on the headliner. The glass was installed perfect which I was most worried about. Got a loaner etc. All done in one day. I fixed the trim and got the grease off myself. Mobile service delivered my OEM snow tires, which was great, saved me 3 hours of driving. I've ordered wheels from local SC and that went great as well. And they have responded well through the Mobile App when an update got messed up.

Tesla did royally screw up my trade in though, had long delays at pickup and a month later wanted me to pay the tax credit on trade-in. They never backed down that they were wrong and finally graciously waived it. They paid the correct tax amount (offset by trade-in value) to the registry but it was recorded in the system that I didn't have a trade in !! So their computers thought I owed the full tax amount. It was all related to the delay at pickup that someone screwed up some paperwork.

Word is, 18650's will be with S/X for good while longer. I would not count on plaid+ being 4680's. Note that the chemistry is probably still being adjusted in 18650's. And the new S/X has new cooling structure (maybe to be compatible with 18650 or 4680). Who know's but I would not count on it. But I would count on significant battery adjustments, what ever they are, indefinitely.

Reactions: Fred42
How much of a clearance is typical ?

That's why I put clearance in quotes. Hard to say. Depends on how much demand there is for current inventory.
How close to end of quarter. It may never be public and could be regional.
But if you are considering it, I'd keep an eye on things. They might throw in perks to clear things out too.
It's hard to predict with Tesla.

What is 18650 and 4680?

Battery cell sizes. Each Tesla has thousands of individual battery cells, that look like big ‘AA’ batteries. The numbers reflect the size of the cells.

The 4680 cell is 46mm wide and 80mm tall. The 18650 is 18mm wide and 65mm tall (not sure where the extra ‘0’ comes from).

Tesla currently uses 18650 and 2170 cells, and will be transitioning towards using 4680 cells in the future.

There are YouTube vids that go into all of the particulars.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: byeLT4 and BBB4000