Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long would you wait to get the redesigned Model S?

How long would you wait to get the redesigned Model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you know you want to get the new Model S, how long would you wait? If you hate the design or don't want to buy the new car this question isn't for you.

Everyone knows that if you are waiting for the best version of a Tesla then you will wait around forever. That's not what this question is about. It's more so about trying to estimate when Tesla will work out new model kinks, improve upon manufacturing, add small features, perhaps adjust on pricing, etc.

I always think of Tesla as a tech company before a car company so I expect a lot of "bugs" in this first version. When do they sort out enough bugs to make the plunge?

• Helpful
Reactions: Tiger
I believe approximately 12 months is where at Tesla will have worked out the kinks and they will have a good choice of offerings (Cybertruck, Plaid+, maybe Roadster, $25k car, etc., ...). Also other companies will have good mature choices (Rivian, Lucid, MB, BMW, Stellantis, ...).

This.
But of course it depends a lot on where you are now. (which car you currently have)
For instance i currently have a late 2018 X, so i'm in no hurry.
But if i still had my late 2014 S, it would be a different story.

This.
But of course it depends a lot on where you are now. (which car you currently have)
For instance i currently have a late 2018 X, so i'm in no hurry.
But if i still had my late 2014 S, it would be a different story.
Late 2016 MS (AP2/HW3/MCU1). Just came out of warranty and thinking I can optimize my trade in value. Although I hope trade in values didn't tank with this release announcement.

There's no choice of FOREVER, so I didn't vote.

I won't be buying another Tesla.
You ended up in the wrong topic then. Get out. No points rewarded, test failed :p

If you hate the design or don't want to buy the new car this question isn't for you.

But even then, @Barry, technically (mathematically) speaking, you could have ended up halfway correct by chosing "1 year +", where "infinity" fits ;) :p

My Debbie-downer response would be: When has Tesla ever smoothly launched a production model? The S had production issues but Tesla was still rather small with "white-glove" service. Many of the kinks were worked out and revised by late 2013, but some issues still remain. The first 8 months of the Model X was had a good number of quality issues as well. The first 12 months of the Model 3 were "production hell" with an additional outdoor assembly, reported mix-mash of parts being used, obvious quality defects, and a high number of declined deliveries. Granted the Model 3 had an extremely high pent-up demand and the volume of sales was high right out of the gate.

On the flip-side, the Model Y seems to have been their smoothest roll out with just a few reported delivery rejections (stained interior, panel/bumper cover misalignment, and the infamous flying glass roof panel). Honestly, I'm so interested in the redesigned S. I like the exterior, a more efficient HVAC, more efficient battery chemistry with greater energy density/cooling/charging, rear armrest/cupholders, door pockets, and what seems to be a better audio system with road noise attenuation, but I can't get past the stalk-less steering wheel.

On top of production issues, there's the Service Center issues where "white-glove" service seemed to have died once the Model 3 production began. I would wait an extra year if the reliability (or not needing to go the SC for a repair/fix) improved by 30%. My local SC is usually backlogged with appointments 3 weeks out and they typically have your car sit for 3 days before they begin work. My longest service duration was to fix the rear window defroster and my car sat in the back of the lot for 4 days before they moved it to an auxiliary lot near the airport for another 8 days. Finally got the car back on day 14. Shortest duration was 3 hours to replace the TPMS sensors and receiver module. I will avoid the SC when at all possible.

My Debbie-downer response would be: When has Tesla ever smoothly launched a production model? The S had production issues but Tesla was still rather small with "white-glove" service. Many of the kinks were worked out and revised by late 2013, but some issues still remain. The first 8 months of the Model X was had a good number of quality issues as well. The first 12 months of the Model 3 were "production hell" with an additional outdoor assembly, reported mix-mash of parts being used, obvious quality defects, and a high number of declined deliveries. Granted the Model 3 had an extremely high pent-up demand and the volume of sales was high right out of the gate.

On the flip-side, the Model Y seems to have been their smoothest roll out with just a few reported delivery rejections (stained interior, panel/bumper cover misalignment, and the infamous flying glass roof panel). Honestly, I'm so interested in the redesigned S. I like the exterior, a more efficient HVAC, more efficient battery chemistry with greater energy density/cooling/charging, rear armrest/cupholders, door pockets, and what seems to be a better audio system with road noise attenuation, but I can't get past the stalk-less steering wheel.
Quality response, thank you!

probably even more than a year. . My late 2017 MS 90 D upgraded to HDW3AP, FSD and MCU2 does nearly everything a 2020 MS does except the battery ( that's getting to be a big difference). If my degradation stays low (it is so far). if I think of it as better than a 75D ( and not P100D/100D) when the 4680 batteries are out and had some months to know they don't catch fire or degrade too fast then it is time for next big thing! hopefully Plaid + will be a little cheaper

• Love
Reactions: pilotSteve
I'm in a CPO 2016.5 90D AP1 with all the options, absolutely flawless condition, and an upgraded MCU2. Under warranty until 2024. This gives me plenty of runway. While I would love, love, love the features/imporovments of the refresh TODAY, it will be interesting to see how Tesla responds to Lucid, cheaper Taycan, etc, etc. in the not too distant future. I figure Tesla has a few tricks up it's sleeve to keep the MS relevant. Also, how could they not reduce the price if they don't?

This would probably be a different post if the MS completely changed tip to tail but since it looks generally the same on the outside it makes me feel less like i'm missing out. Mechanically you cant compare them but at least I still feel I have a relatively fresh offering.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Don't qualify for the poll, but have a comment.
Tesla is constantly in a state of flux. They are growing incredibly fast and of course there are growing pains inherent in such growth.
Do not believe there will ever be a time when Tesla flattens out and simply produces a perfect car and service centers are no longer needed. There will always be some dissatisfied with their purchases, and others simply delighted.
Seems like they will always be working on something new, and along that will go unknowns and unknowables.

Personally, If I was in the market for a new vehicle, I would have no qualms placing my order today and waiting however long it takes to get delivery. It is a leap of faith, hard to calculate the perfect time.

Reactions: Thp3
I ordered within a few minutes of seeing the refresh. I had been waiting to jump on a new one but couldn't justify the upgrade from my 75D until it would really feel like a new car.

I'm really not worried about the normal production issues people complain about. It's a refresh, not a whole new line. I bought right after the first refresh and the car was great. I have no worries that this one will be too.

But holy crap I hope it comes with a normal wheel. WTF are they thinking...