Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How low can you go?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my LR M3 since last December and have always charged it when it went under 100 miles.

Today is the first full day I've used Tesla when under 100 miles; it started at 98 in the morning and now, pushing 7PM I'm at 10% and the battery level is still yellow.

I know it will take about 5-6% getting home, and I started wondering just now how many others have gambled going past 5%? Am I the only paranoid one not wanting to hit single digits?

I figure, having the extra range is silly if you don't fully use the battery, as you would have to charge more often. I charge my car about every 2-3 days.

My wife drives a Fiat 500e, and you can get an extra 10 or so extra miles if you disable the A/C. Is Tesla similar with it's radio, A/C & so forth?

• Disagree
Reactions: Limit X
These were all since 12/6/18 :)
20190206_092934.jpg
20181216_164628.jpg
20181212_165203.jpg
20181206_202619.jpg
20181214_232134.jpg
20181225_093730.jpg

I've had my LR M3 since last December and have always charged it when it went under 100 miles.

Today is the first full day I've used Tesla when under 100 miles; it started at 98 in the morning and now, pushing 7PM I'm at 10% and the battery level is still yellow.

I know it will take about 5-6% getting home, and I started wondering just now how many others have gambled going past 5%? Am I the only paranoid one not wanting to hit single digits?

I figure, having the extra range is silly if you don't fully use the battery, as you would have to charge more often. I charge my car about every 2-3 days.

My wife drives a Fiat 500e, and you can get an extra 10 or so extra miles if you disable the A/C. Is Tesla similar with it's radio, A/C & so forth?

I just plug it in when I get home and don't worry about it. That's what Tesla recommends. A plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla.

You are supposed to charge every day and you should avoid regularly going over 90% or below 10%. See the section "About the battery" on page 122 here. The total number of hours the battery spends close to 0% or 100% in its lifetime needs to be kept low. In other words, when you reach 100% or 0%, you are supposed quickly move away from that.

Charging from 0% to 100% is 1 charge cycle
Charging 5 times from 70% to 90% (5 times 20%) is also 1 cycle

Last edited:

At 5%, you're at 15 mile (which isn't single digits ) Lots of folks have been there, quite a haven't made it back to a charger and needed tows.

Unlike others that have responded, no problems with your charging habits. Just drive and enjoy the car.

You are supposed to charge every day and you should avoid regularly going over 90% or below 10%. See the section "About the battery" on page 122 here. The total number of hours the battery spends close to 0% or 100% in its lifetime needs to be kept low. In other words, when you reach 100% or 0%, you are supposed quickly move away from that.

Charging from 0% to 100% is 1 charge cycle
Charging 5 times from 70% to 90% (5 times 20%) is also 1 cycle

I don’t think so this matters that much Elon has made this clear in a tweet that battery degradation over 100k miles when charged regularly at 95% and going below 10% is almost negligible. So don’t worry about this and enjoy the car

Risky below 5%. When you’re that low you’re approaching the accuracy of measurement issues. Especially in extreme temps. And a sudden load can have a sudden drop, and then you’re screwed. I don’t plan to ever be below 10%, even though it may occasionally happen. Or you have an unplanned event like stuck in traffic with heat needed.

Occasional 100% is fine. Occasional 0% is Bad.

Reactions: GregRF
Risky below 5%. When you’re that low you’re approaching the accuracy of measurement issues. Especially in extreme temps. And a sudden load can have a sudden drop, and then you’re screwed. I don’t plan to ever be below 10%, even though it may occasionally happen. Or you have an unplanned event like stuck in traffic with heat needed.

Occasional 100% is fine. Occasional 0% is Bad.

Yes It’s risky below 5%. Below 10% it may not be

I thought we're talking about suspension here. Where is the picture of a slammed Model 3? :rolleyes:

It seems like the Tesla engineers already lowered the Model 3 as much as practical without inconveniencing normal people who drive on normal roads, driveways, etc. I live in snow country and would actually like one more inch of clearance. However not enough to do anything about it.

I have almost died from howling laughter when I see the seriousness with which some people take to "ugly wheel gaps". To me those "ugly wheel gaps" are beautiful because they represent an ability to effortlessly navigate bumps, dips, road debris, etc. In other words, they represent extra capability. A car that is not hobbled.

When I see a slammed car it just looks handicapped and I feel sorry for whoever has to live with it. If it has low profile tires? X2

It seems like the Tesla engineers already lowered the Model 3 as much as practical without inconveniencing normal people who drive on normal roads, driveways, etc. I live in snow country and would actually like one more inch of clearance. However not enough to do anything about it.

I have almost died from howling laughter when I see the seriousness with which some people take to "ugly wheel gaps". To me those "ugly wheel gaps" are beautiful because they represent an ability to effortlessly navigate bumps, dips, road debris, etc. In other words, they represent extra capability. A car that is not hobbled.

When I see a slammed car it just looks handicapped and I feel sorry for whoever has to live with it. If it has low profile tires? X2

I agree. I have had my fair share of lowered car with aftermarket shocks/springs or coilover. Although the handling can be improved by changing the suspension, you will have to pay extra attention on where you are driving. At some point you are bound to scrape the bottom when leaving a steep driveway or a higher than normal bump in a parking structure.

In a normal ICE car, you would probably scrape the exhaust, or some plastic covering on the bottom of your car. I just don't want to risk scraping the battery pack and therefore causing expensive damage.

@MountainPass, I really love the products you have developed for the Model 3. Maybe I can buy a t-shirt to support you? :p

Reactions: StealthP3D