Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many are waiting to order or postponing the delivery date due to proposed Tax Credit

With proposed Tax credit, how many are waiting to place the order, postponing the delivery date?

• Waiting to place the order

Votes: 50 25.6%
  • Postponing the delivery date

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • Placed the order assuming credit may be retroactive irrespective of the delivery date

Votes: 96 49.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And how do you roll it out when foreign made cars are currently elligible for $7500 tax rebates? You can't start this one 1/1/21 and say the old one doesn't exist for people who have already bought those vehicles this year (id.4). All those people waiting for ID.4s would cancel in a heartbeat and it would kill VW in the US. More than likely it will be a 2022 package so here's to higher prices in 2022 to make up for lack of sales in 2021.

• Helpful
Reactions: ElectricIAC
There currently is a bill before the House, the Green Act, that has a provision for extending the tax credit. However, it specifically states it will not be retroactive. I doubt Biden would deviate from this as it was generated by his party. Link below. Has not moved since introduced.

• Funny
Historically Tesla has raised and lowered prices along with tax credits phasing in and out. If the buyer is going to get $10k relieve why shouldn’t they make some profit off that if the end price to the buyer stays the same? It goes against making the vehicles more affordable than currently priced but unless the bill locks in pricing or prevents over a certain increase it might happen. And Tesla has always honored price drops but allowed you to keep lower prices if the prices go up. If you can delay by 12 months it’s a $100 bet on $50k (current) with a potential payout of $7500+.

I'm seriously considering delaying it. I was going to trade my second car in for my first Tesla MY that's on order. But now the news broke, I'm wondering if I should delay taking delivery for up to a year. Like many others, I don't need a second car this very moment, just means my old ICE car will continue to depreciate. But I wonder how many people will do the same especially if the credit is not Retroactive, Tesla car sales number for the short term will be reduced substantially as people wait.

• Funny
I'm seriously considering delaying it. I was going to trade my second car in for my first Tesla MY that's on order. But now the news broke, I'm wondering if I should delay taking delivery for up to a year. Like many others, I don't need a second car this very moment, just means my old ICE car will continue to depreciate. But I wonder how many people will do the same especially if the credit is not Retroactive, Tesla car sales number for the short term will be reduced substantially as people wait.
If it does become $10k, it'd be dumb not to wait. At least that's my opinion.

• Funny
I wish I understood truly what I could do to order now and keep delaying delivery. I've read so many different things.
Tell your SA you are not ready to accept delivery. Give them a date 5-6 months in the future when you think you'll be ready. Just do the basics for your profile like insurance and license and leave payment as cash. Hopefully they honor your 5-6 months without bugging yo but you will need to check your account occasionally to make sure a vin hasn't been assigned. If one is, just reach out and ask to delay delivery. If you never confirm a delivery date and they decide to show up and leave a car at your place, you don't pay for it and it's not yours. Tesla's problem.

Reactions: VQTRVA and rjpjnk