Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how many buy a tesla ev with no charging where you live?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

meomyo

Nov 30, 2017
colorado
I am curious because alot of the superchargers near me are always full up with waiting time of more then 15 minutes with 10 stalls. I polled the people there one day and 90% said they have no charging at home/apt. The others werent in the car or were traveling. I know free super charging has not been offered in a while but why get a tesla(or any ev for that matter0 if you dont have a home to charge it and leave it plugged in?

I've counseled a lot of folks on home charging. I've installed sic 14.50 outlet in houses. A lot of model 3 buyers are young living in condos,they need public chargers. Buying home wall chargers is a waste of money. I've seen prices of 1k for them. Install a 14.50 in a rental t house adds to rental value. And a BNB .
I have solar panels, so I charge during the day to maximize my system. I get thousands of questions about charging, anxiety.

I forgot to say, my village has a dozen FREE chargers at hotels and restaurants. City installed 4 pay chargers. When I'm in a town, I look for free chargers. Bars have them now. One restaurant in town has two in their parking lot. Libraries have them here, free. Join Charge Hub. It helps u find them.

I’m in a high rise condo building (no charging) and owned my M3P for 3 years before getting my S. Almost 100% supercharger. Luckily, power is cheap and charging stalls are close and plentiful near me. I go one week or more between charging sessions.

The construction costs for a charger in my spot would be astronomical - probably the better part of $10K. That’s all the electrical panel work, conduit runs through 3 levels of concrete parking garage, the super long cable runs, etc…

Also, my state is a right to charge state, meaning my condo board can’t say no, but the state gives them the right to pass insurance premiums back to me for any increases they incur because of it (fire?).

I’d probably never make the investment back and at some point batteries and chargers will be capable of such rapid charging that we won’t care about home charging.