Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Many kWh Available in New Software Limited S60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many KWH are actually available in the new software limited S60? As I'm preparing for my first road trip there is a stretch that will require some L2 charging. EVtripplanner says that the long stretch between Superchargers will require 65.3 kWh and use up 218 Rated Miles. I'm wondering how many kWhs I'd need to add via L2 at the stop midway in order to make it. I'd hopefully not need to add more than 10... Any word on how close to 60 kWh the useable capacity is on the software limited pack?

I tried searching & it didn't appear that this has been addressed yet. Please point me to the right thread if it has already been answered. Thanks!

I don't think anyone knows. But you should figure that at least 4kWhs are reserved for anti-bricking. So the most you would have available is 56 kWh from a 100% charge.

How many you need to add depends on how comfortable you are with getting really close to running out of juice before you make it. (The faster you drive the more likely you are to run out.)

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
I don't think anyone knows. But you should figure that at least 4kWhs are reserved for anti-bricking. So the most you would have available is 56 kWh from a 100% charge.

How many you need to add depends on how comfortable you are with getting really close to running out of juice before you make it. (The faster you drive the more likely you are to run out.)
Except it's actually a 75 kWh pack... so they could allow a full 60 kWh useable since there's 15 kWh that is software limited so that anti-bricking 4 kWh could be out of the 15 kWh not paid for... This is what I'm hoping, but I doubt is true. I think your 4 kWh is probably a good guess. One benefit of the software limited S60 is that Supercharging to 100% isn't super slow like on other models since the pack is larger. I'm guessing that during a few of the longer distance legs I'll need to Supercharge to 100% to have enough buffer, so I'm glad that it isn't slowed down so much in the new S60.

Except it's actually a 75 kWh pack... so they could allow a full 60 kWh useable since there's 15 kWh that is software limited so that anti-bricking 4 kWh could be out of the 15 kWh not paid for... This is what I'm hoping, but I doubt is true.

I don't think they would do that, since that would make the 60s have the range of a 65. And they aren't going to give range away, that would make it even less likely someone would upgrade. (That would also mean a 100% charge in a 60 would actually be a 85% charge of the battery.)

My 4 kWh guess was based on what I think WK057 reported the anti-bricking buffer was on a real 60. It might be larger in a soft 60 since the buffer might be bigger in a 75. But we won't know for sure until someone hooks up a CAN logger and grabs all the good data and shares it with us.

• Informative
The Model S60 on the EVTripPlanner site is the old (pre 2015) Model 60 not the new SW Limited 60 (as witnessed by no AWD variant and no 75KWH models...)
I'm thinking that the new S 60D that I'll have should be more efficient than what EVTripPlanner calculates for the old S 60 RWD. There are no EPA MPGe ratings for the new software limited 60 yet, but I imagine that it will be very similar to the new 75D. The new 75D is significantly more efficient than the old RWD 60. I figured that this would be my buffer, using the old S 60 RWD calculation on EVTripPlanner while driving a new 60D.

I'm thinking that the new S 60D that I'll have should be more efficient than what EVTripPlanner calculates for the old S 60 RWD. There are no EPA MPGe ratings for the new software limited 60 yet, but I imagine that it will be very similar to the new 75D. The new 75D is significantly more efficient than the old RWD 60. I figured that this would be my buffer, using the old S 60 RWD calculation on EVTripPlanner while driving a new 60D.

Yes, agree! Also EVTripPlanner is way off on supercharging times for the new model, because 100% charge is actually 80% charge, super charging time should be significantly faster, and no penalty to charge to 100%,

You should use the 70D in EVtripPlanner, as it is the closest to your car. The old 60 was a significantly lighter car as it has no front motor and a lighter pack. The 70D is very similar to the new 60D/75D the only difference (besides for software) may be a few pounds difference in the weight of the pack/nosecone/filters.

I can't attest to the accuracy of EVtripplanner for other models, but for the 85 its always spot on. Again though, check the weather variation tab, and watch out for headwinds, they can dramatically effect your range.

You should use the 70D in EVtripPlanner, as it is the closest to your car. The old 60 was a significantly lighter car as it has no front motor and a lighter pack. The 70D is very similar to the new 60D/75D the only difference (besides for software) may be a few pounds difference in the weight of the pack/nosecone/filters.

I can't attest to the accuracy of EVtripplanner for other models, but for the 85 its always spot on. Again though, check the weather variation tab, and watch out for headwinds, they can dramatically effect your range.
Hmmmm... but wouldn't the 70D then provide inaccurate info for range since it had about 10 kWh more available energy?

Thats why I mentioned that you should go off the rated miles used for each leg of the trip and just compare that to your charge capacity.
Good suggestion. What is the "Rated Miles" at 100% in a software limited 60D? Is it the 218 miles EPA estimate that shows in the Design Studio online? The official EPA ratings for the 60D are not yet present on fueleconomy.gov.

Please post back your findings hybridbear. I agree with others, there is probably 56kwh of usable battery on the software limited new 60. The reasons already listed for this are logical. I think the 60kw Model S is an awesome car. The ability to charge to 100% daily makes owning a Model S much easier. Not that only charging to 90% is hard, it's just annoying to think about it. The faster supercharging on the 60kw is awesome too. Unless my Model 3 preorder is totally amazing, I'll strongly consider picking up a used new 60kw in a year or two.

Good suggestion. What is the "Rated Miles" at 100% in a software limited 60D? Is it the 218 miles EPA estimate that shows in the Design Studio online? The official EPA ratings for the 60D are not yet present on fueleconomy.gov.

It will be approximately 218 miles. Each car varies slightly when new, and of course they degrade slowly (although its still unknown how the degradation is handled by the software limited 60s) You could get lucky and get a few more, or get a few less.

• Helpful

Just tried out the new: EVTripping web app and it has the refreshed models in there. I did a quick route and it seems legit!

Just tried out the new: EVTripping web app and it has the refreshed models in there. I did a quick route and it seems legit!
This site looks cool. But, how do you register? I see options to login & you can't plan a route without logging in, but I can't find out how to create an account. The FAQs talk about the requirement to create an account, but they don't explain how to do so.

I was told today by a manager at Tesla that they are allowing you to use all of the 60KW on the software limited X60D (Did not ask about the S). I have a Model X ordered for my wife and this makes a lot of sense that they would do this. The extra energy and extra weight you are carrying would not be practical without getting a true 60KW out of the battery.

I only ordered the Model X after they lowered the price since my wife's Land Rover was perfectly fine. I was worried about the X60D having enough range since we drive to the Colorado mountains and back. If they truly allow the use of all 60KW we can make a round trip without any issues.

• Informative
I was told today by a manager at Tesla that they are allowing you to use all of the 60KW on the software limited X60D (Did not ask about the S). I have a Model X ordered for my wife and this makes a lot of sense that they would do this. The extra energy and extra weight you are carrying would not be practical without getting a true 60KW out of the battery.

I only ordered the Model X after they lowered the price since my wife's Land Rover was perfectly fine. I was worried about the X60D having enough range since we drive to the Colorado mountains and back. If they truly allow the use of all 60KW we can make a round trip without any issues.

The Model X 60D seems like a really good deal. Saving $19,000 from the 90D would have been nice, but at the same time I would have either been stranded multiple times already or needed to add additional charge locations and spend more time at each location.