Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading early model s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to upgrade my early 2013 model s60 to a p85. The reason I'm doing this instead of buying a used p85 is because my 60 is my first car and I don't want to get rid of it. This is a crazy idea I'm cooking up in my head so bear with me here. I have been trying to learn how to reconfigure my car to fit an 85 kwh pack and also swap out drive unit for performance. I'm curious if I buy a used MCU and IC out of a wrecked p85 or off eBay if I could fit fit like to like pack and like performance drive unit into the old shell of my 60 with new mcu, software redeploy and have everything work. I know its a stretch but my service center won't do pack upgrades and I have access to a lift and any tool you could think of. This idea sounded a lot better in my head but I just want thoughts to see what you guys think of this idea.

I have my hands on a running 60 and a parted p85 missing the mcu and a few other components with massive body damage however the p85 still has battery and drive unit. I'm unable to test if either works short of swapping into my 60 and looking at bms readout though dev mode. I don't know of anyone who does freelance config changes to these cars but that's what I would need assuming battery and drive unit out of p85 are good.

Upvote 0
I have my hands on a running 60 and a parted p85 missing the mcu and a few other components with massive body damage however the p85 still has battery and drive unit. I'm unable to test if either works short of swapping into my 60 and looking at bms readout though dev mode. I don't know of anyone who does freelance config changes to these cars but that's what I would need assuming battery and drive unit out of p85 are good.
Swap over the battery first. Shouldn't be too difficult to get it running as an S85. The switch to P85 requires a gateway change of the "Performance" value from "1" to "2" after installing the "sport" LDU. You'll need experienced help to make that happen. What MCU is in the 60 and what firmware version?

Upvote 0
Swap over the battery first. Shouldn't be too difficult to get it running as an S85. The switch to P85 requires a gateway change of the "Performance" value from "1" to "2" after installing the "sport" LDU. You'll need experienced help to make that happen. What MCU is in the 60 and what firmware version?
It is currently running on 2022.8.10.11, car is not rooted yet but I think it may require a software downgrade to make that happen.

Upvote 0
I have inspected the rubber plug on the side of the drive unit and its free of coolant and any other fluids. I'm not sure how to check for oil contamination.
With it sitting in a normal operating position, not on it's side, remove the speed sensor, should only see clean oil on it.
There's a tag on the unit with a part#, the letter on the end will indicate if it's a newer revision that will be more dependable.

Upvote 0
I'm trying to upgrade my early 2013 model s60 to a p85. The reason I'm doing this instead of buying a used p85 is because my 60 is my first car and I don't want to get rid of it. This is a crazy idea I'm cooking up in my head so bear with me here. I have been trying to learn how to reconfigure my car to fit an 85 kwh pack and also swap out drive unit for performance. I'm curious if I buy a used MCU and IC out of a wrecked p85 or off eBay if I could fit fit like to like pack and like performance drive unit into the old shell of my 60 with new mcu, software redeploy and have everything work. I know its a stretch but my service center won't do pack upgrades and I have access to a lift and any tool you could think of. This idea sounded a lot better in my head but I just want thoughts to see what you guys think of this idea.
You might want to get in touch with @wk057 if you‘re considering a professional upgrade.

Reactions: henderrj
Upvote 0
Just curious, the "P85" you got, would it happen to have the last 4 in the vin of 9846?

Upvote 0
Anyone tried changing gateway config using Toolbox 2.1 with MCU2?

I read in Loki documentation that the ports should open when soldering a jumper wire inside MCU2.. Does this still work in current firmware versions?

1690013200262.png

The mentioned 2020.48 firmware version is not very recent, has Tesla already disabled this trick?

If the jumper wire is soldered in, should it be removed after fiddling with gateway, on can it be left there permanently?

Edit: Huh I'm pretty sure the indicated jumper wire pad is CLK pin of MCU2's eMMC memory. So it probably prevents MCU from booting completely. Perhaps after 5-10min timeout gateway gives up waiting and opens everything?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: blodg1
Upvote 0