Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many kWH will be used in CAMP MODE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You will not suffocate with the climate control on recirculate. To add to what others have tried to illustrate, there are many leaky areas where air exchanges between inside and outside, some by design, and some by accident. There are loose seals around doors, there are gaps around wire and hose entry points, there are gaps around the door handles, the list just goes on and on. If you have Recirc on and just HEAT, then you will definitely get a buildup of humidity which will either fog or frost your windows, and this is more extreme with the car stationary than if the car is driving. But, the illustrative point of this would be to drop a car whose windows and doors are closed and the HVAC is on RECIRC into a body of water and watch how quickly and completely the cabin fills with water. It will be pretty quickly and evenly filled to the roof as the car sinks to the bottom of the body of water.

I'd guess that Tesla and most other car manufacturers have used the "LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR" (you have to protect against unwary people doing things that will get them killed) approach in designing systems that don't allow non-savvy people to kill themselves in their parked cars.

Reactions: justsomeguy
This thread took an extremely dumb turn for the worse. Suffocating in camp mode? Come on.
I know that fear mongering is in style, but this fear takes the top prize.
I've seen over and over again how people suffocate in their houses with the windows closed too. Legit concern:D

Yeah, just that houses have A LOT more square spaces to store the fresh air AND CO2. I am not saying that this will certainly happen inside a car, but to compare a house with a car that probably has less than 2 cubic meters of air space is even more dumb than you think...

You can argue that the car is not perfectly insulated, that is true, but if it were (and some are better than others), you will surely die inside after 8 hours and that is a given fact due to the low amount of air!

People have also died inside houses once there is some sort of CO2 producing alteration that induces more inert gases than the space can provide clean air for.

And it probably makes a difference wether there is 1 person inside the car or 3 (2 adults and a child)
Plus, breathing circulating air instead of turning it off, just to save 15cents on electricity is even more dumber...

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl
Yeah, just that houses have A LOT more square spaces to store the fresh air AND CO2. I am not saying that this will certainly happen inside a car, but to compare a house with a car that probably has less than 2 cubic meters of air space is even more dumb than you think...

You can argue that the car is not perfectly insulated, that is true, but if it were (and some are better than others), you will surely die inside after 8 hours and that is a given fact due to the low amount of air!

People have also died inside houses once there is some sort of CO2 producing alteration that induces more inert gases than the space can provide clean air for.

And it probably makes a difference wether there is 1 person inside the car or 3 (2 adults and a child)
Plus, breathing circulating air instead of turning it off, just to save 15cents on electricity is even more dumber...
Add to that the fact that I sound proofed my car by clogging every bit of opening that I could find in the body of the car (double rubber seals on all doors, trunk and frunk and acoustic and thermal insulation in most spaces between body and inner lining. I will not claim that no opening is left, but they will be few. Driving is a different matter because the speed draws out air from the car at the back and pushes air in at the front.
But anyway. The discussion can go on forever based on one's convictions. I'm just rather safe than sorry after having lost too many people in my life as a result of carelessness and ignorance. Believe me, you not want to bury your loved ones because of that.

A related question: What the heck does 'camp mode' does that 'ON' or 'DOG' modes don't do? In fact, dog mode is the same crap as 'ON', except the screen messages. Just wondering why Tesla even bothered to add 'camp' mode, when on would probably be the same, but maybe I'm missing something :).

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
good info. To me it means using camp mode while actually camping without external power source is risky at running out of battery power.

It really depends how much charge you arrive with. If you get to camp site with 30%, I would not run camp mode. But if you have 70 or 80% and you know the supercharger is close, I think it's safe unless it's super cold outside. The best is if you have at least a 120V 15A outlet, that way you can maintain charge over night.

You will not suffocate with the climate control on recirculate. To add to what others have tried to illustrate, there are many leaky areas where air exchanges between inside and outside, some by design, and some by accident. There are loose seals around doors, there are gaps around wire and hose entry points, there are gaps around the door handles, the list just goes on and on. If you have Recirc on and just HEAT, then you will definitely get a buildup of humidity which will either fog or frost your windows, and this is more extreme with the car stationary than if the car is driving. But, the illustrative point of this would be to drop a car whose windows and doors are closed and the HVAC is on RECIRC into a body of water and watch how quickly and completely the cabin fills with water. It will be pretty quickly and evenly filled to the roof as the car sinks to the bottom of the body of water.

I'd guess that Tesla and most other car manufacturers have used the "LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR" (you have to protect against unwary people doing things that will get them killed) approach in designing systems that don't allow non-savvy people to kill themselves in their parked cars.

indeed. its quite funny, in the tropics here it sometimes drops to like i.e. 15C at night. So on a nightdrive you think you just switch AC off and put the heated seats on. but thats too cold (coz we all wear tshirts and boardshorts) so you then put the heating on.
But it actually feels really humid/sticky even if the cabin is only 20C. And the windows start fogging too. AC is a must.

i find the best thing is to just leave the cabin temp at 22C or so with the AC on and instead manipulate the fanspeed. i.e. i just set it to 1 which is enough to dehumidify the cabin.

A related question: What the heck does 'camp mode' does that 'ON' or 'DOG' modes don't do? In fact, dog mode is the same crap as 'ON', except the screen messages. Just wondering why Tesla even bothered to add 'camp' mode, when on would probably be the same, but maybe I'm missing something :).

Yes, you are missing something. Camp mode keeps everything running when no one is in the front seats.

Yes, you are missing something. Camp mode keeps everything running when no one is in the front seats.

the irony is that a majority of long distance travelers dont use camp mode because it doesnt work at <20% SOC. When I arrive at my destination where I sleep at like 5% and connect to AC I wouldnt be able to use camper mode for another 80min or so. So I usually still just put a suitcase on the drivers seat. Its a stupid oversight and I cant believe tesla designed it like this. Camper mode is great if you travel from SC to SC and got plenty of charge but its crappy for travelers outside a DC ultrafast charge network who just want to plug into AC.

Reactions: Rocky_H
the irony is that a majority of long distance travelers dont use camp mode because it doesnt work at <20% SOC. When I arrive at my destination where I sleep at like 5% and connect to AC I wouldnt be able to use camper mode for another 80min or so. So I usually still just put a suitcase on the drivers seat. Its a stupid oversight and I cant believe tesla designed it like this. Camper mode is great if you travel from SC to SC and got plenty of charge but its crappy for travelers outside a DC ultrafast charge network who just want to plug into AC.

What does the suitcase on the driver's seat accomplish?

it keeps the car awake so you can use aircon at night. (or heating)
Which should not be necessary. You can keep the airco on via the main screen. There are several options, like 'dog-mode'. But there is also the option to keep airco or heating on, even if the car is shut down. (I have the suitcase under the mattress as support. In the morning I wake up the car by putting my hand on the driver's seat and applying some pressure.)

A related question: What the heck does 'camp mode' does that 'ON' or 'DOG' modes don't do?
Exactly my experience. I never use camp mode because it keeps the screen on. I just keep heat or airco on and then switch the car off. However, I am now working on a solution to keep USB on overnight, and have unswitched 12V to keep the fridge running. The USB question is nearly solved (need to find a way to access the front USB sockets) and 12 V unswitched will probably have to come straight from the battery or I can put a 10 A fuse on the ODB2 socket.

Which should not be necessary. You can keep the airco on via the main screen. There are several options, like 'dog-mode'. But there is also the option to keep airco or heating on, even if the car is shut down. (I have the suitcase under the mattress as support. In the morning I wake up the car by putting my hand on the driver's seat and applying some pressure.)

it is necessary. none of this works if the battery is <20% so if you arrive i.e. at 3% it would be like a 60-90min wait before you can use it.

it is necessary. none of this works if the battery is <20% so if you arrive i.e. at 3% it would be like a 60-90min wait before you can use it.
Sorry, what I meant, is that it is not necessary to put the suitcase, because it is not necessary to use camp-mode. I do not see the advantage of it. So I just keep the HVAC awake to sleep and shut the car down. This results in low loss of energy overnight and waking the car up is as easy as putting your hand on the driver's seat. (If however you prefer to use camp-mode, then you are most probably right.)

Sorry, what I meant, is that it is not necessary to put the suitcase, because it is not necessary to use camp-mode. I do not see the advantage of it. So I just keep the HVAC awake to sleep and shut the car down. This results in low loss of energy overnight and waking the car up is as easy as putting your hand on the driver's seat. (If however you prefer to use camp-mode, then you are most probably right.)

im not sure which part of that this is not available under 20% SOC you dont understand???

• Love
im not sure which part of that this is not available under 20% SOC you dont understand???
I understand everything about it. (When in camp mode, not available under 20% SOC) I am only trying to point out that one can skip camp mode and keep the HCAV on regardless. So the 20% SOC restriction is no longer there. (unless it would be applicable outside camp mode as well, In which case a weight on the seat would indeed be necessary.)

I understand everything about it. (When in camp mode, not available under 20% SOC) I am only trying to point out that one can skip camp mode and keep the HCAV on regardless. So the 20% SOC restriction is no longer there. (unless it would be applicable outside camp mode as well, In which case a weight on the seat would indeed be necessary.)

How is the 20% soc restriction no longer there? How can you skip camp mode? You cant. Below 20% it is not possible to precondition the car, initiate any of the modes and if you just shut the doors the internal system will switch off. If you put pressure on the drivers seat or tap the scree etc it will stay on for i think 20 or 30min.

• Informative