Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions About Camp Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning to go on a month long road-trip in my 2022 Model S and wondering if Camp Mode still doesn’t ultimately turn the 3 displays off or not? Never camped in a Tesla before but know it used to atleast have a bunch of questionable characteristics about it that made actual camping in the car a hassle.

Planning to go on a month long road-trip in my 2022 Model S and wondering if Camp Mode still doesn’t ultimately turn the 3 displays off or not? Never camped in a Tesla before but know it used to atleast have a bunch of questionable characteristics about it that made actual camping in the car a hassle.
I camped in my MYLR a few months ago for the first time. In an RV park, recharging overnight hooked up to a NEMA 14-50. (I had to dial the amps down to 24; any higher and it kept tripping the spot's circuit breaker after a few minutes.)

While I was hooked up to this shore power, I activated Camp Mode, and then read for a while before going to sleep. After just a short time, the display automatically switched to a fireplace loop, and then a few minutes later went dark.

I was thinking of trying out a night sleeping in my new Model Y in my garage, both for testing and understanding all the intricacies discussed in this thread, but also to make sure it’s something I really would or would not enjoy doing (haven’t previously camped in a car). Is there any reason to NOT stay all night in my car in a closed garage in camp mode? I know it’s not like an ICE car (and its carbon monoxide problem) but would this be dangerous for an EV overnight?

Reactions: zoomer0056
I was thinking of trying out a night sleeping in my new Model Y in my garage, both for testing and understanding all the intricacies discussed in this thread, but also to make sure it’s something I really would or would not enjoy doing (haven’t previously camped in a car). Is there any reason to NOT stay all night in my car in a closed garage in camp mode? I know it’s not like an ICE car (and its carbon monoxide problem) but would this be dangerous for an EV overnight?
Moisture in the passenger cabin from your respiration will be condensed by the Climate Control AC and a puddle will form underneath the vehicle. The slope of the garage floor will determine where the condensate flows.

Air quality-wise, you won't have any issues.

We travelled 5 times last winter at least 1000km away from our home, each lasting 1-2 weeks. We slept at camp sites most of the time with 50A (few nights at Walmart parking lot too).

Outside temp varied from around 25F to 75F. Both humid and dry days. Absolutely no issues for us. We seem to prefer 20.5C over 20C or 21C and each night, the car kept interior temperature with pretty much zero variation.

One of these nights was in the mountain, 30F and really high humidity but interior air was still perfect for sleeping.

You should focus more on getting the mattress/pad that fits your need...

Reactions: dhrivnak
We slept at camp sites most of the time with 50A (few nights at Walmart parking lot too).
Here, if I slept in my car overnight at the local Walmart, I’d wake up to the car being up on blocks, half the seats missing on the side where I wasn’t sleeping, the steering column gone, and likely all four doors taken. I’m a heavy sleeper, and local thieves are very proficient at their craft.

Here, if I slept in my car overnight at the local Walmart, I’d wake up to the car being up on blocks, half the seats missing on the side where I wasn’t sleeping, the steering column gone, and likely all four doors taken. I’m a heavy sleeper, and local thieves are very proficient at their craft.
😁

Joking aside, I was kinda afraid of that too. So I went through every Walmart within reasonable driving distance from where we planned to go and marked down all the ones with good reviews from an RV app. So far, we slept at about 6 different Walmarts and all of them have been good experiences.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Tested the modes this weekend and here is what I found to be the truth...

- Camp Mode - Useless for camping because monitors never actually turn off nor do any of the interior button lights. Kept cabin at 72f outside was 75f and lost 40 miles of range overnight.

- Keep On Mode - Mostly what is needed to camp as it kept the set temp all night and turned off all monitors and accent lights. Locked from minotr and unlocked door in morn to security alarm. Trying now to set profile with Security alarm off lights off, Keep Mode, etc. Kept cabin at 70f (72f was too hot) outside was again 75f and lost 30 miles of range overnight.

Door lock is tricky since I don't have a cellphone really have to lock and unlock only from monitor and need to leave the FOB at home.

Tested the modes this weekend and here is what I found to be the truth...

- Camp Mode - Useless for camping because monitors never actually turn off nor do any of the interior button lights. Kept cabin at 72f outside was 75f and lost 40 miles of range overnight.

- Keep On Mode - Mostly what is needed to camp as it kept the set temp all night and turned off all monitors and accent lights. Locked from minotr and unlocked door in morn to security alarm. Trying now to set profile with Security alarm off lights off, Keep Mode, etc. Kept cabin at 70f (72f was too hot) outside was again 75f and lost 30 miles of range overnight.

Door lock is tricky since I don't have a cellphone really have to lock and unlock only from monitor and need to leave the FOB at home.
I don't think your experiment went right...

We slept about 30 days worth during the last winter at camp sites and Walmart parking lots, over 5 different trips. Some camp sites we slept didn't have electricity while others did.

When Camp Mode is on, the monitor eventually turns into that campfire graphics, then it will turn itself off. This is without exception. I don't recall any of the button lights stay on either as that would have also bothered us.

We keep our interior at 69F, and we slept when outside was as low as 25F and as high as 90F. The worst % drop we experienced was around 15%, which probably works out to be around 50 miles.

Camp Mode is useful to us to the point where during the next winter, we are planning to take a 3 weeks trip, and if it is successful, eventually a multi-months trips in South West USA.

It went right or atleast as right as a Model S will do with key fob inside the car. The monitor puts on a mostly black screen graphic but the backlight does stay on all night as does the driver console and all button lights like door locks, seat release, hazard red, etc You have a model Y so your experience will be completely different since you don't have driver console or rear display. Also probably all your other button lights are completely different.

Reactions: JohnB007
It went right or atleast as right as a Model S will do with key fob inside the car. The monitor puts on a mostly black screen graphic but the backlight does stay on all night as does the driver console and all button lights like door locks, seat release, hazard red, etc You have a model Y so your experience will be completely different since you don't have driver console or rear display. Also probably all your other button lights are completely different.
Yup I only realized after the post that you have a Model S.

Air quality-wise, you won't have any issues.

We travelled 5 times last winter at least 1000km away from our home, each lasting 1-2 weeks. We slept at camp sites most of the time with 50A (few nights at Walmart parking lot too).

Outside temp varied from around 25F to 75F. Both humid and dry days. Absolutely no issues for us. We seem to prefer 20.5C over 20C or 21C and each night, the car kept interior temperature with pretty much zero variation.

One of these nights was in the mountain, 30F and really high humidity but interior air was still perfect for sleeping.

You should focus more on getting the mattress/pad that fits your need...
Do you sleep inside the car or do you have a rear tent to have more living space?

So the answer after a 4 month road trip is to use Keep On mode, not Camp Mode and disable Security Alarm and Sentry Mode in settings. Beware sometimes Security Alarm gets turned back on when you do a car software update or if you ever enable Sentry Mode or go in for car service so it doesn't hurt to double check it's off before unlocking the car door from the inside in the morning otherwise all h* breaks loose. In order to greatly accelerate the car shutting off all lights and monitors do this before getting in the back of the car... open both front and rear side doors (I reach my arm back and trigger the rear door open and push it out a bit so it won't swing back shut once you get out of the car) and after both doors are open only then hit the Lock icon in Controls to lock the car (while both doors are still open). Then get out of the front seat and be careful to hold the rear door from accidentally closing and shut the front door before getting in the rear side door and shutting it from inside. The lights should all immediately go off and you are now locked inside the back. To unlock in the morning do not use the side door button but use a stick to press the brake pedal which will wake the car. Tap your key card on the center console and hit the unlock icon in Controls menu. Once unlocked then you can use the side door button to get out without tripping the alarm. This method consumes about 30 miles range overnight with climate fully active. I used this about 80 nights without problem except one night the rear door swung shut when i closed the front door thus locking me out of the car entirely without any key cards on me. i had to use TeslaFi to remotely unlock the car. Huge hassle so just be very careful when you shut the front door to hold the rear door open especially if you don't have a key on you getting into the back.