Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you "fixed" your garage to accomodate Model X?

How many of you "fixed" your garage to accomodate Model X?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW, is there a manual override to stop the FWD when it is opening?
Yes. Hitting any of the controls a second time will stop the door, if that's what you mean. If you mean actually manual, touching the leading black plastic edge on the door with even the slightest force will stop it with a triple beep.

Using Summon to park/unpark is currently not an ideal practice. My guess is the doors in your garage will not open fully, but plenty enough to exit the vehicle. The problem with partially opened falcon wing doors isn't the rear passenger access - it's the way that low door interferes with the front passengers trying to exit. You get trapped in the triangle of the door swing. Requires a bit of maneuvering, but it works.

I just jump out of the car as soon as we're in the garage and run like mad into the house, screaming, "good luck all ye who exit!"

Yes. Hitting any of the controls a second time will stop the door, if that's what you mean. If you mean actually manual, touching the leading black plastic edge on the door with even the slightest force will stop it with a triple beep.

Using Summon to park/unpark is currently not an ideal practice. My guess is the doors in your garage will not open fully, but plenty enough to exit the vehicle. The problem with partially opened falcon wing doors isn't the rear passenger access - it's the way that low door interferes with the front passengers trying to exit. You get trapped in the triangle of the door swing. Requires a bit of maneuvering, but it works.

I just jump out of the car as soon as we're in the garage and run like mad into the house, screaming, "good luck all ye who exit!"

The DS is concerned that the car cannot "see" the side railings on the roof. It is good that there is a manual override, at least I can test and see what happen on the first day)

When we pick up the car, do we have to sign a waiver for any FWD if it cannot see the obstacles?

And you are all too funny. (i hope you are all being humorous and not serious, right? ;))

image.jpeg
Garage coming along, but still have no electrical yet. I tried with an extension cord and it was pointless.

Last edited:
Update on Garage project in pictures. Next project phase is to get rid of the gigantic and poorly placed water heater for a wall mounted tankless one. That will free up space on the side to zip in and park the car(s) without worrying about the right side fender, not that there is a lack of space, but it will reduce any possible anxiety (anxiety that I have about the wife hitting the fenders on that surface)
If anyone needs to hire the most awesome garage door guy in San Diego area - www.garagedoormansd.com. Tell him the haggling guy with the Tesla X sent you. If he still doesn't remember, the password is "Cashew Granola Bars" :) James and his guys are simply awesome to get service from !!

Before:
85" at the lowest/worst point w.r.t FWD - surface being the garage door. The opener descends further down at 82".

upload_2016-6-4_15-7-14.png

After:
Raised rails to max possible height of 102" (garage door surface). Middle beam is the longpole now at 96". We could not mount the rails on the ceiling since I have multiple sprinkler heads on the garage ceiling. Left a gap of 6". I need to figure now if the mid-beam would end up over any part of the FWD in forward or reverse facing positions.

upload_2016-6-4_15-8-23.png

upload_2016-6-4_15-8-42.png

Equipment Installed
: Liftmaster 8500 with the myQ internet gateway.

ucTte8k5xOZWUgKdHDcvqM6k4j7NBGOIoGZfzH6ftF7HFKy_i1j91VCbc3s_ejSqowqliaMk0Namai2hDy0W0xjam5OM7hOc4uRaOR7XEb6nPeNc7dycN6UNlgRrlGuj3eBJVQAVMKEEGs_mCGN4p3aKapTpqOFCD4N2jNO9HzvApXjihqdcp_rTWDHmwmoRBuZm489vR8l9oYlOqh5gyTSwFIuhoSiX5_vjN8LLhymWmFHDFGPlsBoFJ4PWZe0n6pGHuXuYZ1HTMNoCIt1m1wlchoE8P0iTGpvtqXiRE3aoJ8V48q0HShUkJtkRZGzXBmpraLugeKDuXA8ZpTQtawPCinEK2VaYZFGWPjUQhkoY_VWe4Nx2EdCRg3cN2J9_TW81YJGYX-ykmRKAUPDlss-i1hEkMWI6ZI48qxBKGxGqpfjkwNEXU5RXGoFmMs1KL40D8_7cLnbTXUArw6CI2CFMcm5_pZo38JacIGUt2Rb2DUjjgWbGscN1PcJeJ4OywTl5XlVoR_TnwJN8ZBB66eImwD-umXmTvwEqvZqqw0zMjSANKMxbteZFbTZqwSuHneuvQaUVfnMn3s4BTb6lN0cGe06uHuMz=w449-h797-no
uHCoNjUZnijGE5iSOADcugbIo8AcVMQYKLqY85dhwjnNg0K_NkkZFxoPJY99t4wt8TUzmXk1sbkOQCDh6ckjg-R1EsRjtkZ0u9345yqDKVHZNYd5ob4TUPX07iCXYdj_pFzpCA2BnRt6Wg4vW0gmhTiYa-niQWXQBLrjfahfIp7LsEK5ZdRACaqCaiFlWt9zEuEU1poNm2IvctoHp0jOB0RCGYR5aAy2ipujiPSFrm1ctsns40nZe6zRNIevT9SuEAcibbYbXRwrX_SJV1q8feZh6amRWNA9A1CWo35CPc9zbBCcL3gE8y8D5b9_jEYNOioTKHMHyTFGWBjCzkB82xPg4IjoFKaZTcx9ewW2Kv_DGkFtXuG5MHmYljnp2ZlA5hmqfkr4kh2S_TViLw_OA5u997eIznxOCMfgnMUH8C56520_EUObQW2Ni02zgVg6kbRb75QaHGnGa6VoHkZdV3OJ6C7eWucLvi5LIpnMsTlQtL9bsX8UivOc2Ul0oZ2GUDdEtRRZNJe4x2PJfJxewF8LbD90bdZ95cRUBLzI-mMYBMOIfjUB_Y6ZzlT_vio7_qoCrzCG7s6x376uEzGHWFFSkVI_9CSk=w449-h797-no
XXlh664j63m75447Sk2x6taf1fPD2Ypz6P9jmfs4Ajxl5hrusgVcYzJrXfUxssbJRGXxal9MX2A3AVQmDmIiz-kxie7PDmxddOdvRhYGoIyQT3xSOPuiC-xaQUKfMdGkyBQE0FHGuMe4R6h7gXm46BUyngLeHxgupJNH37KRpA8SrqO0UvmAqU5sylC8EHBnP2GDvLAsR9120VXzIU8E2zpsOEbevy8x1Znbzu5pT7oOmANZ1aSJaa-3tBs0INr5MU14NCNe65KjFv0HV3nLksLhm8JM1A2vD0QqzwIW2K-kGC-yE9NPfBeNnUmw10C5-9x8vlYRvGcgqy7iTGyTlPPWJ835B0eesX4HdGLwOiD0V11virVl-FTdrzGdkYshOlxxXwAFKWCDgcqf5MBs5E6_xZRaUHkHuDoFSDB1zgGTHVplVGGcmmuP5RwqmmbotOzH-apGamdF7AJ0LMn_2uMN8Mbw7Wlx5u4XK_CUb8gMi_zvVEtuq0kUTFcRLW1mfMBwJ6BTF6ChDJ2_A-fGZNu48qE-L7YNZx4jjTKZrs_osbAztlyND5TzA6mkDHZghsq35jlWnBLjiNH8rtDQUE9FFRXhms5p=w449-h797-no
xaJZztRxkwyMYKY56I79VM-WF3l4nVoHQMkJwxXGVG0fbS5n25WT-3U_wX_wyK61bYXgeg-VWbdIXfWqRh_h1GWtj_n9JHdmbLaTcPUEK8XX_OvwsJuPzw9nw8xZxWQF4S4KaOHD6UXybzW7edJdbX9oUrrdFcxnQCvU6tvcRjGaACEsvOJ0U33jUiAcOOO51fAwr_ZvOwKevV0KQRPrYe_DA_2PCwDxvYc4CGjH0uKy1UYEwlXfSixL-sRs8as_zv6R5yZRnbZb4cpDDzDWR518IC4MpUSG-XVARx-sBB1cEUO-nrzspEeqq4mNyXXCywDjlUUkcIGWb5MIwTEbyl6tx8DjZbPKfO8V4rmNGdZamUFfcwM5inzScIy3MZtIj_BvqAvKMCytMM-9cd5ePhMCbe1ULgfcbuXWlSjH0C-FO1r6oMdKh2E36AKMvceZ7AUoArIZG6-fgsQ9W_GZrPNgVhUajZE4voJeHO-_LdfgXDIBNYCIUh50_YvHvNBHNkolM8l0urW5NXiF6vMnA9uUud0V_upZPKkBakzFOpp7iSUGBHN0cJ1yAzt5eJotrdaLidnyVNWpA006zrnvGb9EFaGa2-CM=w1417-h797-no

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-4_15-5-8.png
    upload_2016-6-4_15-5-8.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Reactions: ohmman and WABarb
Nice looking garage, @ssq. I think you're fine. Worries are over whether you back in or front in. Do you have a huge basement or shed or something? Because that garage looks incredibly empty.
Thanks @ohmman, really hope so.
:D I really don't have much stuff. The house at 3500 sqft feels massive for all our needs (3 of us, ssq + Mrs. Ssq and ssq-nano). All the stuff I have is tucked away in 30 inch deep cabinets right beside the water heater all the way to the wall. All the boxes on the wall shelves are empty and I should really be cleaning it all out :/. There is a treadmill in the nook on the far left end, and two bikes which I need to neatly mount so it doesn't take any floor space. Really again, I just don't own much stuff. And I really am fond of clean empty minimalistic spaces. That reminds me I got to pressure wash the garage, my latest projects have made it a mess.

Last edited:
I finally got my garage "fixed". Added wall charger, Lifted rails up a foot higher and replaced motor with Liftmaster 8500. Should have ample clearance even in full open position for FWD. Now, if only the car was here... Hoping to get it before end of next week... Fingers crossed

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 70
You mean like actually clean out my garage so I can put in a car?

Please don't remind me to finish cleaning out my garage!! It's been 3 months since 3/22 delivery. I had an HPWC installed on time in garage #4, which is a single attached to my laundry room. It was full of 20 years worth of storage, business records, etc. It took PG&E almost 3(!) months to put me on the EV-A rate plan in California. Meanwhile, I just charged whenever, paying for highest-cost tier 3(!) electricity. Now I have to prioritize clearing out the last 1/8 garage worth of "stuff" -- mostly boxes. Hope to get to it this weekend so my X finally can move into it's own home away from an ICE dinosaur in a double garage, and be auto-charged @ 11 pm for ~9 cents per KwH!

As far as clearing the side rail and opener track, in my 2-car garage I just back the X into it's spot and the FWD's are totally clear, since I have a high ceiling. It also makes for quick getaways.

"Many people buy a dog when their last child goes to college. We bought an X."

• Funny
Reactions: ModelX and F123456
I am having both my garage doors fixed over the weekend. This should raise the clearance to about 102" with the garage door open. I believe I read somewhere that about 95" or so should be enough. Is that accurate? What do you guys think? I have enough clearance on the sides so the vertical clearance is the only thing I have to worry about.

I am having both my garage doors fixed over the weekend. This should raise the clearance to about 102" with the garage door open. I believe I read somewhere that about 95" or so should be enough. Is that accurate? What do you guys think? I have enough clearance on the sides so the vertical clearance is the only thing I have to worry about.

Should be fine, we had ours raised to 96" and the falcon doors can fully open.