Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you removed your Hubcaps?

How many of you removed your Hubcaps?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really was referring more to the hubcaps than the wheel. I don't mind the wheels themselves, but I think some aftermarket hubcaps look better than the naked wheels and are better for mileage.
Yeah I know, I meant I like the stock hubcaps. The wheels are okay enough, if they were nicer I'd probably take the range hit. I just don't like black rims so that's probably why I like the original hubcaps.

I thought about spraying Plastidip (rubberized and easily peeled off) around the parts of the rim that showed under the hubcaps, but then decided I didn't care enough to go through the effort. I've had a few people ask me where I got the wheels (they could see it was fewer spokes than ubertine). I'm just happy that I could get caps that look like wheels and I still have the extra range that 19" wheels provides.

506-BA172-71-CE-4-DEB-B250-AF7746557-DE7.jpg

HI, I just received the same ones and once put on the wheels, it seems that they cannot be removed without braking the plastics which holds them, have you tried to remove them?

Attachments

• 20230511_133919.jpg
    20230511_133919.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 85
I bought hubcaps at first but then I learned that they scratched the heck out of my rim. They basically left curb rash and scratches on my wheels. I've since had my wheels powder coated gloss black and through the hubcaps away. Rims look spanking new.

I bought hubcaps at first but then I learned that they scratched the heck out of my rim. They basically left curb rash and scratches on my wheels. I've since had my wheels powder coated gloss black and through the hubcaps away. Rims look spanking new.
Did you install them properly with the foam strips? I added extra foam to mine to prevent all that (hopefully).
HI, I just received the same ones and once put on the wheels, it seems that they cannot be removed without braking the plastics which holds them, have you tried to remove them?
Haven't tried yet. Car only has about 3K on it. If you look at the tabs, you'll see that they get inserted on the insides of the spokes. Maybe try reaching inside the wheel and squeezing those together, as you pull from the outside. Haven't tried this so just a thought.

Did you install them properly with the foam strips? I added extra foam to mine to prevent all that (hopefully).

Haven't tried yet. Car only has about 3K on it. If you look at the tabs, you'll see that they get inserted on the insides of the spokes. Maybe try reaching inside the wheel and squeezing those together, as you pull from the outside. Haven't tried this so just a thought.
No because the foam strip that came with the China caps were garbage. They had no adhesive on them.

Hubcaps ... or Wheel Covers? (two different things IMO)

I keep meaning to take off the wheel covers, but then I'd have to drop $90 to get the bolt covers and ... hubcaps so I keep delaying

If I had a 3 instead of a Y I'd definitely take 'em off because they look horrible. The ones on the Y though aren't too bad

but (and again, just a personal opinion) I can't stand black wheels. To me it just looks like you bought some really bad brake pads and haven't cleaned off the brake dust for a few months

• Funny
Reactions: sleepydoc