Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you will/may transition to CyberTruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No I have not even considered the CT as the look just was not my cup of tea, I also like to be able to reach in the bed from the side, I currently have a 1/2 ton chevy diesel and its the first time I had went from a 3/4 ton and have not had an 8 ft bed, even at 6' 8" it was a compromise and I do miss being able to close the gate on 8' materials.
Yeah. I gave up my '96 K2500 Suburban for the F150 Lightning. Don't miss the 9 mpg, but I do miss loading 4x8 flat stock and closing the gate. Sheetrock & rain? No problem. I am hoping the CT tonneau can close w/o the gate up. Will likely fabricate some sort of SS cover to extend over the lowered gate. Don't mind the look of the CT. A truck is a tool - not a fashion statement. Ultimately it is the utility that matters to me. eSilverado looks interesting however I am a little biased toward Tesla because of their lead on the electric drive train and battery.

no. they won't. for e.g. there are more than a dozen F150 Lightning *on the lot* at dealers here within a 5 mile drive and all go for msrp...
What part of Texas? Seems up north …very different dealer approach.

Attachments

• IMG_2822.png
    IMG_2822.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2823.png
    IMG_2823.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2824.png
    IMG_2824.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
And other trucks currently on the market have more utility. So……..
Depends on the individual.

There's not currently a truck on the market that is an EV, has access to Tesla SC, Tesla Software, and/or has the promised range of the CT.

That's what I'm looking for...if the CT comes out with 400 EPA miles of range, which will really be around around 320 at highway speeds and loses 50% range when towing, the value will drop for me a bit. Still want a truck with Tesla software, FSD, and SC, but the range is a big factor for wanting the CT for me. Each person is different.

I like the Rivian...not a fan of the SC network, software, phone key, or price for the size.
Lightning is even worse with range, charge speeds, software, and driver's assist package.

There's not currently a truck on the market that is an EV, has access to Tesla SC, Tesla Software, and/or has the promised range of the CT.

That's what I'm looking for...if the CT comes out with 400 EPA miles of range, which will really be around around 320 at highway speeds and loses 50% range when towing, the value will drop for me a bit. Still want a truck with Tesla software, FSD, and SC, but the range is a big factor for wanting the CT for me. Each person is different.

I like the Rivian...not a fan of the SC network, software, phone key, or price for the size.
Lightning is even worse with range, charge speeds, software, and driver's assist package.
Be ready to be disappointed... a 400+ miles rated CT (if the CT even gets that range... currently only the Model S non plaid gets that much range) would be in the Rivian R1T price range (which you are not a fan of)

it's easy to claim no other EV truck will match CT specs ... when nobody knows these specs and they aren't really "promised" either... or not at the price we initially saw...

Be ready to be disappointed... a 400+ miles rated CT (if the CT even gets that range... currently only the Model S non plaid gets that much range) would be in the Rivian R1T price range (which you are not a fan of)

it's easy to claim no other EV truck will match CT specs ... when nobody knows these specs and they aren't really "promised" either... or not at the price we initially saw...
I am completely prepared for that disappointment, lol.

edit: I expect the CT to come in overpriced and under promised compared to what was promised...I'll re-evaluate when pricing/specs come out.

Sorry for snipping your other good points but I had to respond to that last part. Ford's Blue Cruise is superior, by far, to any driver's assist feature Tesla currently has to offer. Sure, FSD may one day be sweet but right now TACC is the only thing Tesla has that works well and everyone has that. FSD is broken with all the random lane changes and auto-steer is limited to +5 over posted. So I either have to put it in auto steer and keep my foot on the pedal - preventing any auto-braking feature from working, or use TACC and do all the steering. Ford's TACC and lane-keeping has none of these limitations. On the freeway, it is 100% hands free and never tries to do something stupid. I can relax and sip my coffee until it is time to exit. Ford also has a great radar based rear cross traffic monitor. Hopefully, CT will have their vision-base RCTM working as well.

I *do* miss having the turn signal video feed - would choose that over the Ford's blind spot monitor any day. So score one for Tesla on that. Still hoping Ford enables this on a future power up.

There are some things I don't like about the Lightning - it has a nasty torque-steer when you punch it and a lot of backlash in the drive train. These are non-existent in both my Tesla's (M3 & MS).

Sorry for snipping your other good points but I had to respond to that last part. Ford's Blue Cruise is superior, by far, to any driver's assist feature Tesla currently has to offer. Sure, FSD may one day be sweet but right now TACC is the only thing Tesla has that works well and everyone has that. FSD is broken with all the random lane changes and auto-steer is limited to +5 over posted. So I either have to put it in auto steer and keep my foot on the pedal - preventing any auto-braking feature from working, or use TACC and do all the steering. Ford's TACC and lane-keeping has none of these limitations. On the freeway, it is 100% hands free and never tries to do something stupid. I can relax and sip my coffee until it is time to exit. Ford also has a great radar based rear cross traffic monitor. Hopefully, CT will have their vision-base RCTM working as well.

I *do* miss having the turn signal video feed - would choose that over the Ford's blind spot monitor any day. So score one for Tesla on that. Still hoping Ford enables this on a future power up.

There are some things I don't like about the Lightning - it has a nasty torque-steer when you punch it and a lot of backlash in the drive train. These are non-existent in both my Tesla's (M3 & MS).
Having used Blue Cruise for a week (4 days, close enough), I couldn't disagree more.

I have Beta on all of my cars, so there's no +5 speed limit restriction.

I had Blue Cruise kick me off on certain roads and on large curves on the interstates. I also couldn't do other things like check on my kids, change stations, etc without getting yelled at. I compare Blue Cruise to AP and on the interstate, it's better in some ways (hands free) worse in others (large curves), but it doesn't attempt nor hold a candle to FSD.

edit: I missed the massaging seats...it was nice to have them back for that 4 days. I thought the infotainment was laggy and PaaK was awful...it also charges really slow even on fast chargers. It was about double the time compared to my MS LR.

Last thing, the frunk was awesome. I fit a full set of golf clubs in it. Probably the best thing about the truck.

Last edited:

Having used Blue Cruise for a week (4 days, close enough), I couldn't disagree more.
I had Blue Cruise kick me off on certain roads and on large curves on the interstates. I also couldn't do other things like check on my kids, change stations, etc without getting yelled at. I compare Blue Cruise to AP and on the interstate, it's better in some ways (hands free) worse in others (large curves), but it doesn't attempt nor hold a candle to FSD.

Sounds like Ford has made good progress ... even if some of the features are duplicates of Tesla ... which are of course just duplicates/copied from a decent human driver tho!!!

Title: Ford BlueCruise 1.2 Driving Review​

edit: I missed the massaging seats...it was nice to have them back for that 4 days. I thought the infotainment was laggy and PaaK was awful...it also charges really slow even on fast chargers. It was about double the time compared to my MS LR.

Last thing, the frunk was awesome. I fit a full set of golf clubs in it. Probably the best thing about the truck.
I have beta, too. FWIW, FSDb *does* work pretty well on the freeway - I have no complaints there. Just wish I didn't have to keep jiggling the wheel. Yes, Blue Cruise does require you to be watching the road and will remind you if you don't. But neither FSDb nor FBC is meant to be used so you can turn around and check on things in the back seat or stare at the info center for long periods of time. My solution is to not do that. We just aren't there yet. So on the freeway, it's a choice of 1) having to periodically wiggle the wheel but have the car also navigate and let you do dangerous things or 2) not having to wiggle the wheel but the vehicle just keeps it's lane and is a bit of a Nanny if you get distracted. For me the latter wins since I don't mind taking control the couple times I need to change lanes or exit.

Off-freeway, there is no contest. FSDb is flat out broke. Your choice there is 1) constantly fight the car to keep it from doing stupid and dangerous things while sending false signals to all the vehicles around you or 2) make your own turns and lane changes and just let the car manage speed and lane-keeping. Again, for me the choice is the latter.

The +5 limit is still there for auto-steer which is what I would use off-freeway if not for that.

Reactions: T3SLAROD

Good Luck on that 400 EPA Miles …..

The greatest thing about the Lightning is ….. it isn’t software dependent. Also Blue Cruise works just as good or better than AP.

FSD? Come on now.

So yes, there are actually trucks on the market that meet your needs including ICE Trucks that will probably be just as efficient as a 400 mile CT with more towing capability, more room, more storage, more ….. everything?

Sounds like Ford has made good progress ... even if some of the features are duplicates of Tesla ... which are of course just duplicates/copied from a decent human driver tho!!!

Title: Ford BlueCruise 1.2 Driving Review​

Agreed, still more like AP/EAP and not FSD.

I don't believe Ford is promising FSD-like features in the future.

I have beta, too. FWIW, FSDb *does* work pretty well on the freeway - I have no complaints there. Just wish I didn't have to keep jiggling the wheel. Yes, Blue Cruise does require you to be watching the road and will remind you if you don't. But neither FSDb nor FBC is meant to be used so you can turn around and check on things in the back seat or stare at the info center for long periods of time. My solution is to not do that. We just aren't there yet. So on the freeway, it's a choice of 1) having to periodically wiggle the wheel but have the car also navigate and let you do dangerous things or 2) not having to wiggle the wheel but the vehicle just keeps it's lane and is a bit of a Nanny if you get distracted. For me the latter wins since I don't mind taking control the couple times I need to change lanes or exit.

Off-freeway, there is no contest. FSDb is flat out broke. Your choice there is 1) constantly fight the car to keep it from doing stupid and dangerous things while sending false signals to all the vehicles around you or 2) make your own turns and lane changes and just let the car manage speed and lane-keeping. Again, for me the choice is the latter.

The +5 limit is still there for auto-steer which is what I would use off-freeway if not for that.
FSDb works great for me on city streets 90-95% of the time. I've had numerous 0 disengagement drives...and while I've had many drives without any assistance, those are less frequent.

But out of the 5-10% FSD isn't doing what it should...maybe 2-3% of those times are ridiculously dangerous.

It all depends on the car, driver, and location. I mostly drive around South Carolina, Georgia, and NC.

• Informative
Reactions: JohnB007 and zecar
So yes, there are actually trucks on the market that meet your needs including ICE Trucks that will probably be just as efficient as a 400 mile CT with more towing capability, more room, more storage, more ….. everything?
There aren't, though. I listed the things I'm looking for and ICE isn't one of them.

You may not like FSD, but I love it...I've purchased it 3 times and while I don't think the hardware currently (even HW4...or 3.5) will ever get to level 5, I think the 10k I've spent is well worth what v11 can do currently and the hope for even more refinement. I've never bought into the wild ideas of robotaxi or that my car will come and get me, but it's nice to turn it on and have my car drive me to a restaurant or the grocery store, etc.

If the CT specs falls flat, I may still get it, because I'd like to not rent a truck to tow my boat again. I traded my Diesel F150 for the a MS, but I may get an X instead and keep renting a truck (I get free rentals for all the rentals I get for work). I do miss having a truck bed to throw stuff in, moving stuff, going to the dump, and towing my boat to different lakes...I traded my MS with my neighbor who has a Platinum Lightning for a week to see if that would suffice and it just wasn't there for me. Regardless, I won't keep my MY much longer as I've really grown to dislike the car compared to my MS. It's mostly the lack of range that bothers me.

Last edited:
There aren't, though. I listed the things I'm looking for and ICE isn't one of them.

You may not like FSD, but I love it...I've purchased it 3 times and while I don't think the hardware currently (even HW4...or 3.5) will ever get to level 5, I think the 10k I've spent is well worth what v11 can do currently and the hope for even more refinement. I've never bought into the wild ideas of robotaxi or that my car will come and get me, but it's nice to turn it on and have my car drive me to a restaurant or the grocery store, etc.

If the CT specs falls flat, I may still get it, because I'd like to not rent a truck to tow my boat again. I traded my Diesel F150 for the a MS, but I may get an X instead and keep renting a truck (I get free rentals for all the rentals I get for work). I do miss having a truck bed to throw stuff in, moving stuff, going to the dump, and towing my boat to different lakes...I traded my MS with my neighbor who has a Platinum Lightning for a week to see if that would suffice and it just wasn't there for me. Regardless, I won't keep my MY much longer as I've really grown to dislike the car compared to my MS. It's mostly the lack of range that bothers me.

This is where I am having a hard time understanding how a Lightning Platinum wasn’t “enough” but you’d still consider a CT despite the specs falling flat. If it’s brand loyalty then I get it, you want the looks I get it, but to say that there are no trucks out there just isn’t true.

Tesla won’t be the first and to be honest has already fallen behind.

Personally I was hoping for a better interior from the CT with the size equivalent to other Trucks. From what I have seen, it’s a wider/lower Toyota Tacoma. You can even say it’s a Ridgeline, meaning the chassis is from CUV.