Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you will/may transition to CyberTruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wouldn’t buy one. Ford has the truck part down but they don’t understand tech. Tesla is the leader in tech and drivetrain/battery.
You‘re right on the tec front. The Lightning software is incredibly bad (multiple vendors and really poorly thought thru design). I own one and love it’s in spite of these deficiencies. I was a Tesla earlier adopter and lived with things they got wrong. The only difference is that Ford can’t fix a ton of what’s wrong without totally redesigning everything. Unfortunately they don’t own their programmers and a redesign is too big a project to take on now. Next Lightning will be much better (I hope). I view anyone buying a Lightning as a fellow earlier adaptor and should learn to live with it. The ones that don’t get it will sell quickly (that’s how I got a pretty good deal on my low milage Lightning this past summer). The CT will have a fraction of this type of trauma. And I really doubt CT quick sellers later will be selling for the same reasons as Lighting quick sellers.

BUT I would buy my Lightning again and love what it can do now. And I have not see anything that would make me go thru with my CT reservation. And I don’t think CT buyers are wrong in any in way. They will like the truck. Some will love it.

You‘re right on the tec front. The Lightning software is incredibly bad (multiple vendors and really poorly thought thru design). I own one and love it’s in spite of these deficiencies. I was a Tesla earlier adopter and lived with things they got wrong. The only difference is that Ford can’t fix a ton of what’s wrong without totally redesigning everything. Unfortunately they don’t own their programmers and a redesign is too big a project to take on now. Next Lightning will be much better (I hope). I view anyone buying a Lightning as a fellow earlier adaptor and should learn to live with it. The ones that don’t get it will sell quickly (that’s how I got a pretty good deal on my low milage Lightning this past summer). The CT will have a fraction of this type of trauma. And I really doubt CT quick sellers later will be selling for the same reasons as Lighting quick sellers.

BUT I would buy my Lightning again and love what it can do now. And I have not see anything that would make me go thru with my CT reservation. And I don’t think CT buyers are wrong in any in way. They will like the truck. Some will love it.

Which is why everyone's first EV should be a Tesla IMO. It shows you how life isn't that bad in an EV. When you move to other brand you already know what life is like with an EV and are able to better compromise if the car has more Pros than Cons.

As a fellow Lightning owner, I too am happy with my Lightning and agreed on the software side.

I think the “spartan” interior and panel is perfectly appropriate for a truck. I find the simplicity preferable over the complicated mess in the Lightning, for instance:

52263012972_67eb21fc45_z.jpg

But That’s Just Me! ™️

Reactions: Yelobird and Cal1
I think the “spartan” interior and panel is perfectly appropriate for a truck. I find the simplicity preferable over the complicated mess in the Lightning, for instance:

But That’s Just Me! ™️

What's complicated about it? Serious question.

There's a reason it the best selling Vehicle. Not Truck, Vehicle. Obviously it's not that complicated considering this has taken away even more buttons from the ICE. But yeah, it's a "complicated mess" smh

3-Tesla-Cybertruck-review.jpg

How many menus do I have to go through to adjust my mirrors? Will it work with work gloves full of dirt?

13-Tesla-Cybertruck-review.jpg

Last edited:
What's complicated about it? Serious question.

There's a reason it the best selling Vehicle. Not Truck, Vehicle. Obviously it's not that complicated considering this has taken away even more buttons from the ICE. But yeah, it's a "complicated mess" smh

Like I said, that was just my impression sitting in one. Your preference Is different, obviously.

So it goes…

Reactions: Yelobird
That's my point. Pretty much all US EVs are going to NACS. I like the Rivian don't get me wrong. Helpfully they can start to turn a profit.
Profit wise, where was Tesla at this point in Tesla’s evolution? IIRC, the same place. These types of businesses are capital and developmental/non recurring engineering intensive. It takes many delivered units worth of revenue to reduce the debt/burden/load. Accounting 101.

Profit wise, where was Tesla at this point in Tesla’s evolution? IIRC, the same place. These types of businesses are capital and developmental/non recurring engineering intensive. It takes many delivered units worth of revenue to reduce the debt/burden/load. Accounting 101.
The same place for sure. Rivian needs to get to their 2nd gen high volume platform asap. I'm pulling for them. Tesla was very close to not making it and they had little to zero competition. I'm sure BYD and the other Asian makers are coming.....

Reactions: jebinc

But That’s Just Me! ™️
Yea it’s been a challenge to get used to all the buttons (Not sarcasm). Made worse by a horribly organized manual with not nearly enough pics. Tiny buttons on the bottom of the front dash next to the steering wheel. After three MS’s it has been a challenge going back to traditionally designed instrument panels. It’s not always great back in the Tesla world. Can’t tell you how many times Tesla moved things in there IP redesigns. Finding stuff again can be a pain but that is quickly assuaged by a simple stop light blast!

But it’s ok once you find everything you need!

I want to publicly apologize to T3SLAROD.

I did not intend to demean his choice of vehicle, nor his preference for his truck’s control layout. I’m sure it works fine once one is used to it. It‘s somewhat similar to the layout of our 2011 Ford Flex. But when I go back and forth, I really prefer the simplicity of the Tesla layout.

No need to apologize, I understand what you are saying….I like both for different reasons…

I want to publicly apologize to T3SLAROD.

I did not intend to demean his choice of vehicle, nor his preference for his truck’s control layout. I’m sure it works fine once one is used to it. It‘s somewhat similar to the layout of our 2011 Ford Flex. But when I go back and forth, I really prefer the simplicity of the Tesla layout.
Forum decorum! Bravo @FastEddieB!

I often take strong positions again emotional or not factual counter arguments, but if facts (not opinions, or “Elon said,” BS) are presented, I accept them and change my view - such as that “Does a CT have a physical rear view mirror,” back and forth earlier.

Cheers! 🥂