Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many people are having connectivity issues?

Are you having connectivity issues?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yeh my early Y LR is having connection issues. Spotify won’t work on most short journeys. Probs been a couple of weeks now. I’ve given up on listening to podcasts.

Frustrating that as a result, the app doesn’t work for long periods of time. Which screws with intelligent octopus scheduling.

My model y is showing no signal around vast areas of the south and has been for 3 weeks. Apple Music is almost unusable now and traffic data not showing a lot o& the time along with map not loading. It’s frustrating to say the least as I prefer listening to playlists over the radio.

How do you get into the service menu? will that invalidate any warranty? strange thing is there is reception, can be anywhere betwen 1 bar and 4 bars on LTE, but just doesnt connect to anything.
I do wonder if this is peculiar to EE.
We migrated the corporate account from EE to Voda a few years ago now, and the user base was highly relieved. The anec-data was that it was entirely possible to conduct voice and data at ‘1 bar’ signal on Vodafone whereas EE would often show ‘full strength’ yet not allow meaningful data or voice.

Nah, been on EE for a decade and never had this kind of issue.
Even now if the car connection drops out my phone on the exact same network still has data and can stream the same Apple Music that shows a connection issue on the Tesla.
Phones use multiple bands so phone connection is no indication of car connectivity.
Tesla use band 20 800mHz only, but this is also the best band for use in built up areas.

Is this possibly a software version related? I've not updated the software in my M3 for a while and have no recent connectivity issues. Drove 4 hours yesterday without any squares failing to load on the Nav screen.

Phones use multiple bands so phone connection is no indication of car connectivity.
Tesla use band 20 800mHz only, but this is also the best band for use in built up areas.
If true (and I’ve no reason to disbelieve it) might explain the issue. If EE is swapping bands etc as part of its 3G switch off / shared-mast deals.

EE deploys 4G on four different bands if a mast is setup for 4G on a different band e.g Band 3 then your iPhone would still have service on Band 3 but the car wouldn’t on Band 20. If this is the cause I can’t see the problem going away easily / without intervention. Do we know if the cars are capable of using different Bands or if it is just config?

TBH I thought the problem sounded like a virtual network problem / authentication issue at first (pics showing car couldn’t register).

Edit: lots of LTE bands listed in the Cert of Conformity in the back of the M3 manual so I’m not convinced in this.

If true (and I’ve no reason to disbelieve it) might explain the issue. If EE is swapping bands etc as part of its 3G switch off / shared-mast deals.

I can't imagine them limiting it to just a single band. You'd be guaranteed all sorts of problems, as you say networks use different bands in different locations depending on what their signal requirements are. A mast on a hill out in the middle of nowhere designed for covering a huge area is different from a mast on a block of flats in a city designed for density.

Do they?
The spec sheet for the modem states there are multiple bands in play

IMG_0850.jpeg

Reactions: NewbieT and Skie
Never had issues in any Tesla for years (except where you would expect eg on a Mountain)
Last 2 weeks had nothing but loss of signal completely in urban areas where I’ve had no issues historically…

Reactions: boombap
This might be unrelated, or not.
But since a few days my app won’t wake the car up anymore.
This only happens when connected to WiFi at home and in deep sleep. Anywhere else it works fine.

As soon as I go into Drive and WiFi disconnects I can see that the mobile connection is disabled and reestablishes itself after about 20seconds.

I think they mobile connection is disabled now always when on WiFi and therefore the car cannot be woken up via a text message as it was in the past.

They seem to be playing around with the 3G/4G connection. Maybe to save data and money?

I am absolutely sure that Tesla uses eitger eSim either regular SIM (but most likely Esim) issued in Netherlands and then it is roaming and n UK.

Because mine Youtube has reverted to Dutch version in the past (call to CS sorted it).

I think there is some issue with that virtual operator which SIM is used and it's roaming in UK

Reactions: boombap