Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New M3P issues new owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sanzen

Feb 13, 2023
CO
So after having my first Tesla for a week now I seem to be having a ton of connectivity, app issues. Hoping someone can help
1. Most times when I leave the house the Tesla app refuses to connect to my car. It just shows the spinning symbol and won’t connect. No issues when it’s parked at home. I’ve tried everything from reinstalling app, soft restart inside the car and making sure mobile connection is on.
2. The app constantly changes my amp rate. I have it set to 24amps to charge over night and there will be multiple times during the day the app will switch it to 48amps?
3. Sentry mode seems to turn its self off all the time. I have it on in the car as well as the app but there will be times I open the app and it’s off? I have it set up to exclude my house as I don’t want recordings so I’m not sure if it turns it off in the app or it’s supposed to show it on but just not record?
Honestly I’m surprised how many of these gremlins are popping up as I watched hundreds of videos before I purchased and I seldom seem to see people having all these issues. The car it’s self is fantastic and is a rocket ship but I’m starting have my doubts on all this “cool” technology if I’m just fighting all the time and spending countless hours on figuring out why it’s not working correctly lol.

1. Sometimes it takes several tries of killing the phone app and reopening for it to connect. Usually its a factor of how good the cell signal is at the car and if the car is asleep or not.

2. The charge rate is set per location. If you check it away from home it will show the max rate of 48amps until it’s plugged in, at which point it will show the max rate of the current charger you’re using.

3. If sentry mode is not on for a certain location then it will show as disabled in the app. That’s normal.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
1. Sometimes it takes several tries of killing the phone app and reopening for it to connect. Usually its a factor of how good the cell signal is at the car and if the car is asleep or not.

2. The charge rate is set per location. If you check it away from home it will show the max rate of 48amps until it’s plugged in, at which point it will show the max rate of the current charger you’re using.

3. If sentry mode is not on for a certain location then it will show as disabled in the app. That’s normal.
Thanks for this great info, it helps me understand a little more.
1. I’ve been closing out the app and re opening, so far this dosent seem to work. The Tesla app also dosent seem to like this as it gives you a warning every time you close the app it reminds you not to do so lol.
2. That’s interesting about the charge rate. Most of the time I’ve seen it change is when I’m at home and it keeps reverting to 48amps. I’m not really worried though as when I commissioned my wall charger I set the max at 42amps as it’s on a 50amp breaker.
3. Thank you for answering this question about sentry mode. I could not find an answer about this anywhere and was puzzled when I saw it keep turning off in the app (even though it still showed it on in the car settings)I’m assuming it will turn its self back on though when I leave the house? It’s been hard to verify this as most of the time when I leave the house the app refuses to connect to the car.

2. That’s interesting about the charge rate. Most of the time I’ve seen it change is when I’m at home and it keeps reverting to 48amps. I’m not really worried though as when I commissioned my wall charger I set the max at 42amps as it’s on a 50amp breaker.

Im assuming (with all that entails) that you ment "I set it to 40amps as its on a 50 amp breaker", (not 42amps).

Reactions: rpiotro
Regarding the app not connecting, make sure you have cellular data enabled for the app. If that setting is disabled, you'll only be able to connect when your phone has WiFi access. The car also needs cellular service in order for your app to connect (even when WiFi is available).

Reactions: DocHolliday
I would recommend using an app such as Net Signal to test the wifi signal in your garage. If your wifi is weak in the garage, there are many solutions such as mesh wifi and repeater access points. Also you need to have Bluetooth enabled as I found out yesterday when it wouldn't let me in the car by touch. I used the Tesla app and it let me in, but wouldn't start without the keycard. This is after owning it for a month and a half. So sometimes its just a "duh" moment as in my case. Useful wifi connection guide.

I would recommend using an app such as Net Signal to test the wifi signal in your garage. If your wifi is weak in the garage, there are many solutions such as mesh wifi and repeater access points. Also you need to have Bluetooth enabled as I found out yesterday when it wouldn't let me in the car by touch. I used the Tesla app and it let me in, but wouldn't start without the keycard. This is after owning it for a month and a half. So sometimes it’s just a "duh" moment as in my case. Useful wifi connection guide.
I actually have a wifi router in my garage, it’s about 10 feet from my car so signal is great. I’ve seemed to figure out 2 of the 3 issues I was having. The only one that is still stumping me is the amps issue I’m having. If I set it to 24 amps in the app it keeps reverting back to 48 amps as soon as I leave my house and come back. My car recognizes it’s at my house as everything else that’s gps related is working fine.

That's a tough one. I found a discussion about amp throughput being tied to GPS location and confusion as to where the car was. Not sure if your issue is tied to this, but it is the only thing I found where the amps increased, plenty where it decreases.

I actually have a wifi router in my garage, it’s about 10 feet from my car so signal is great. I’ve seemed to figure out 2 of the 3 issues I was having. The only one that is still stumping me is the amps issue I’m having. If I set it to 24 amps in the app it keeps reverting back to 48 amps as soon as I leave my house and come back. My car recognizes it’s at my house as everything else that’s gps related is working fine.
Maybe try setting the amperage on the car screen at home and before plugging in the car?