Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many people are having connectivity issues?

Are you having connectivity issues?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a toggle in the settings for that I believe... the problem I find is that I have to keep enabling on the phone since it does not stay on permanently and probably nor would I want it to and it will probably drain the battery at a fair rate.
i used the automation app (android) or iOS which essentially starts the wifi hotspot once phone is connected to car's BT. but it has few s delay and car does not connect to hotspot if you start driving (you can toggle to stay connected once in drive).

but this solution is stupid.

Just got my answer

1000011727.png

Reactions: Greytop and MrTT
The problem with using a hotspot is that you need to enable wifi every time you start a journey. I’m sure this is a deliberate tactic to encourage people to take the subscription.
You can set it all up so its automatic. I have my iPhone set to enable Hotspot when it connects to the Model 3's Bluetooth. The car automatically connects to the Hotspot. No hassle at all.

It’ll be interesting how this pans out. If it is the network provider then maybe no update needed car side or the software update is in the background to something like APN settings (configuration/not necessarily a formal version release). If the problem is Tesla’s implementation of some protocol or standard it might need a formal car update.

You can set it all up so its automatic. I have my iPhone set to enable Hotspot when it connects to the Model 3's Bluetooth. The car automatically connects to the Hotspot. No hassle at all.
Where is the setting to get it to connect automatically?

And how do you get the iPhone to turn on hotspot automatically? Is it using an automation?

Thanks for any help you can give! :)

Last edited:
Where is the setting to get it to connect automatically?

And how do you get the iPhone to turn on hotspot automatically? Is it using an automation?
Go into Shortcuts on your iPhone, then Automation. Hit the Plus button.

Pick Bluetooth and then choose your Tesla and have Is Connected selected. Also have it as Run Immediately. Then go to Next.

Hit New Blank Automation and now New Action. Start typing in Personal Hotspot. Pick Set Personal Hotspot, make sure its on Turn On. Hit Done, etc. And that's it.

On the Tesla make sure it can connect to your Hotspot, AKA connect it once with password then just make sure the option to keep WiFi on when driving is set.

That's it, job done.

Go into Shortcuts on your iPhone, then Automation. Hit the Plus button.

Pick Bluetooth and then choose your Tesla and have Is Connected selected. Also have it as Run Immediately. Then go to Next.

Hit New Blank Automation and now New Action. Start typing in Personal Hotspot. Pick Set Personal Hotspot, make sure its on Turn On. Hit Done, etc. And that's it.

On the Tesla make sure it can connect to your Hotspot, AKA connect it once with password then just make sure the option to keep WiFi on when driving is set.

That's it, job done.
Thank you. That’s very helpful. I think it’ll save a tenner a month and reduce the frustration of the dropouts. I guess I’ll lose live traffic, but I guess that’s all. I never use “satellite” map view and I have my own Spotify and Netflix subscriptions.

My connectivity issues seem to have been resolved since the holiday update. I used to have issues after leaving my home wifi and had to use my personal hotspot even though the car and my phone are both using O2. Now it is always connected as soon as I leave the house.