Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much abuse can the M3Ps drive unit take?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aside from obvious abuse, I'm sure Tesla would warranty any defects in their product.
This discussion opens with the OP saying "and occasionally track use."

Tesla's warranty says:
The vehicle warranty does not cover damage caused by excessive overuse of vehicle components. It also does not cover racing, autocross, or driving in competition.
So don't assume Tesla will cover this if the car has ever rolled rubber onto a race track....

Are there numerous model 3 performances that are having drive unit failures while tracking? I don't see the benefit in doing this much maintenance; seems like a waste of oil/lubricants/money. These things are built strong and monitors for issues. Full send it. Aside from obvious abuse, I'm sure Tesla would warranty any defects in their product.
You must have a different relationship with Tesla than I do. It is a nightmare getting some things warrantied even when there is an obvious defect. Just read about the vibration issues in the S forum. Looks to be an issue with the halfshafts and many people have it. Pretty obviously and issue yet very difficult to get it taken care. This is where there is no issue with running the car hard.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Are there numerous model 3 performances that are having drive unit failures while tracking? I don't see the benefit in doing this much maintenance; seems like a waste of oil/lubricants/money. These things are built strong and monitors for issues. Full send it. Aside from obvious abuse, I'm sure Tesla would warranty any defects in their product.
@LoL-Gas Tesla does honor their warranty, I can speak to that from lots of experience. Many of us use our cars beyond the limits of a "Limited Warranty" though. Whether that's racing or autocross or simply exceeding time or mileage limits. My P85 has never seen a racetrack but it's well outside of the warranty's time limit. If its drive unit fails again Tesla is not going to comp it. I consider occasional fluid changes worthwhile (~ 30k-50k miles), as Tesla used to recommend before they switched to claiming "lifetime" fluid.

Our M3P is still relatively new and under warranty and hasn't seen a racetrack either. But I expect to still have it past its warranty period as well. And I'd love to take it to a track day or try autocrossing it someday, if I ever get my sh*t together sufficiently to responsibility pick back up such hobbies. If I do, I wouldn't expect Tesla to cover a drive unit failure, their warranty text is clear on that. Same deal for my Subarus which I did track. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Lindenwood