Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much does maintenance cost for Tesla Model Y/3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I (hopefully) completed my last servicing for my ICE car before I take delivery of my tesla. I have a habit of saving for yearly servicing every month. I was wondering how much service costs in Australia.

Also, I am a bit confused where Tesla says it's conditional maintenance - i.e, you need maintenance of certain sectors at certain times like tyre rotation every x kms, and doesn't seem to be bound by a time like (1 year or x kms). At the same time, I have read about service packages that are like 3 years or 20,000 kms and such.

So this query is for existing owners:
  1. Do you need to service every said timeline or only based on factors?
  2. How much do you tend to spend on servicing every year (avg)? Say if you seem to service every 2 years only and that would be say $650, I'd assume $325 per year.
  3. I know Tyres wear off a lot in Teslas. Has anyone replaced tyres yet? Are Tesla tyres expensive?
  4. My Mazda tells me when it is time to service (time or km reached). Does Tesla do the same? Or do we have to keep an eye on it?

For model 3 or y there really isn’t any scheduled servicing at all, and certainly nothing you need to do in order for the warranty to be valid.

There were servicing packages available/sold for Model S and X in the past but there has been nothing offered by Tesla for 3 and Y because nothing is needed. Confirm in the owner‘s manual if you like.

Plenty of people here have longer ownership periods than me, but for 2 years I have had the (original) tyres rotated a couple of times and that’s all. A couple of things fixed under warranty but the cost for those was on Tesla rather than me.

I have driven over 60,000km on the original tyres and they are still ok. I might change them before winter, but mainly because I would prefer all-season tyres to summer ones. I haven’t changed the windscreen wiper blades yet - bought a set a while back and have them ready to,put on but the original ones are still fine. Still using the original cabin air filters too. In both cases - wipers and cabin filters - Tesla sells them on the website and you can fit them yourself or pay Tesla to do it.

Other than the above, all I can think of - again check the owner’s manual for anything else I have missed - is having the brake fluid checked every couple of years. Your local tyre shop can do this.

In my experience you don’t need to allow for any more than this, certainly nothing in the way of “scheduled servicing”.

I (hopefully) completed my last servicing for my ICE car before I take delivery of my tesla. I have a habit of saving for yearly servicing every month. I was wondering how much service costs in Australia.

Also, I am a bit confused where Tesla says it's conditional maintenance - i.e, you need maintenance of certain sectors at certain times like tyre rotation every x kms, and doesn't seem to be bound by a time like (1 year or x kms). At the same time, I have read about service packages that are like 3 years or 20,000 kms and such.

So this query is for existing owners:
  1. Do you need to service every said timeline or only based on factors?
  2. How much do you tend to spend on servicing every year (avg)? Say if you seem to service every 2 years only and that would be say $650, I'd assume $325 per year.
  3. I know Tyres wear off a lot in Teslas. Has anyone replaced tyres yet? Are Tesla tyres expensive?
  4. My Mazda tells me when it is time to service (time or km reached). Does Tesla do the same? Or do we have to keep an eye on it?

Probably some of these questions you should have worked out before ordering but there are no service packages for Teslas for 3s or Ys.

1. no but there are some recommendations like cabin/air con filters to be changed yearly
2. don't know but I'd estimate besides tyres it would be under $100 pa
3. yes the tyres are fairly expensive if you get the EV rated tyres but they are actually cheaper than the tyres on my Ford Ranger so it depends what you're used to. If you've ordered a Y RWD they come with Hankook tyre but can be replaced with some other brands if you prefer that are the right size and don't necessarily have to be EV rated but might not last as long.
4. as there is no scheduled service it won't tell you but it will alert you if the wiper fluid is low it will tell you.

I suggest reading the manual and it will explain the items which need to be checked - wiper fluid, wiper blades, brakes, tyres etc

Out of experience, how long do you think the factory tyres will last? I end up driving like about 15000km per year.

Also (I'm a noob when it comes to automobiles), we change tyres based on usage alone, not based on time, correct? That is I don't need to change tyres until it's run X KMs or the thread is too low (which I believe is directly proportional to the number of KMs driven and not how many years have passed).

From @Ted H experience I don't think I'll need to change tyres for about 4 years at least. Assuming the cost of 500/tyre that would mean I'd better save 500+200 (other maintenance) per year. Seems fair. But then doesnt that amount to the same cost per year for an ice? Well at least close to - I end up spending about 600-800 on ice a year and that doesn't include tyres.

Out of experience, how long do you think the factory tyres will last? I end up driving like about 15000km per year.

Also (I'm a noob when it comes to automobiles), we change tyres based on usage alone, not based on time, correct? That is I don't need to change tyres until it's run X KMs or the thread is too low (which I believe is directly proportional to the number of KMs driven and not how many years have passed).

From @Ted H experience I don't think I'll need to change tyres for about 4 years at least. Assuming the cost of 500/tyre that would mean I'd better save 500+200 (other maintenance) per year. Seems fair. But then doesnt that amount to the same cost per year for an ice? Well at least close to - I end up spending about 600-800 on ice a year and that doesn't include tyres.

Yes tyres are changed based on how much they have worn down not on time. It's very subjective depending on road condition, how you drive, wheel alignment, but you can probably expect your tyres to last 2-4 years unless you get a catastrophic puncture that requires the tyre to be replaced.
For me it will be around half the price for total maintenance budget when comparing ICE vs EV as I drive a lot and require 2 services a year

Tyres do also have a use by date too. Most manufacturers recommend that tyres are replaced every 10 years as the rubber and other components can degrade and delaminate under stress or high speeds. Since 2000 all tyres have had a date code stamped on it for this purpose. IIRC the Porsche crash that killed the Fast and Furious actor Paul Walker has been blamed on old tyres. However this is not generally a problem with your everyday car.

If I have a front strut that makes a strange noise would this be something under warranty? The car is less than 1 year old. Tesla has quoted $120 to inspect it. Don’t know if this is reasonable or not.

I think any service request comes back with a quote, it’s automatic, but does not mean you will be charged that for cars under warranty. It protects them in the event an issue is the result of owner error/abuse rather than warranty failure.

My car had knocking noises from the front control arms under hard left or right turns, which was a common and well-known problem, and it was fixed under warranty at no cost.

I have taken my Tesla in only once - at its 2-year anniversary - since it is recommended to have the car’s fluids and AC filters checked at least every 2 years. I took the opportunity to also have the tyres rotated and balanced. They charged me $147 for service items (replace wiper blades, cabin AC filters, brake fluid check), fixed warranty issues at zero cost (the above, plus some broken frunk clips and cleared an always-on tyre pressure warning) and charged $158 for the tyre rotate and balance which was my choice to do. So $306 is the sum total of my Tesla service charges in over 3 years. Cheap as chips compared to ICE.

I will take it in again later this year ahead of the expiration of the 4-year warranty for another check.

It would be useful if we had a google spreadsheet which lets people enter what they have spent on maintenance at the 50,000, 100,000, 150,000 and 200,000 mark.
Brake pads in particular would be interesting to see given we use the engine brake most the time.
This may answer alot of questions for people looking to buy a model 3 or Y

Reactions: mathewparet@gm

Tires do have expiry dates, I think it’s 6 years after manufacture but it’s usually the case that drivers wear the tires out long before they reach expiry. Someone once told me when you get new tires make sure the tire shop doesn’t put on tires that were manufactured years ago.

I only can think of 50k km to replace the tires, may check the air filter but this can be done yourself, check the brakes 50k km, but I'd like to take it to Tesla Service Centre at least once 2 years. I am not a car expert, but I'd like to have some professionals do some inspections once a year or once 2 years at least. What about you guys think?

I only can think of 50k km to replace the tires, may check the air filter but this can be done yourself, check the brakes 50k km, but I'd like to take it to Tesla Service Centre at least once 2 years. I am not a car expert, but I'd like to have some professionals do some inspections once a year or once 2 years at least. What about you guys think?

Well that’s what I’m going to do - take my car to Tesla every 2 years for a checkup.