Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much extra would you pay for AWD

How Much would You Pay for AWD

• Not interested in AWD

Votes: 37 27.2%
  • Less than 5k

Votes: 25 18.4%

Votes: 39 28.7%

Votes: 12 8.8%

Votes: 23 16.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla may develop a shared inverter.
Discussed elsewhere, I'm sure. But the Model X clearly had a smaller inverter right on the front motor. This makes the most sense engineering-wise.

Everyone tries to keep the wires between the inverter and motor as short and shielded as possible. So the inverter will always be very close (if not in the same housing) to the motor.
So you'd think: Karma -vs- Model S - Page 12

Distinguish Electric from Brake-based Torque Vectoring (ETV vs. BTV)

I can't help but think that people who are not interested in AWD have never experienced AWD. Just like we try to explain what it is to drive electric and that ICE drivers could never imagine what it's like, it may be just the same for AWD.

Personally I have never driven an AWD that was not a 4WD for off-roading. What has me pumped about it was a conversation with Peter Rawlings (from Lotus) when he described the amazing advantages of the AWD in the X he was working on, he could barely contain himself. That kind of excitement made me want it!! Now.

Considering how much easier it will be for electric cars to do it, having AWD on all Tesla's cars will be the final blow to ICE domination .
BTV is getting a digital program to "ride the brakes" in order to assist an open differential functionally to become a limited slip differential. The torque is thus redistributed, according to certain algorithms, to prevent/limit slippage and/or assist cornering.

ETV, OTOH, does control torque (the driving forces, in addition to the braking forces) directly, in the electric motor itself, and thus reduces the use of friction, increases efficiency and reduces the wear of the drive train.

Tesla will have to develop a quad motor design, if it wants to advance its TV from BTV to ETV.
Mercedes SLS uses an ETV implementation already.