Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much is the MCU2 infotainment upgrade supposed to cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 MS 75D with ap2 and I just dropped my car off to upgrade the mcu. I've read some posts saying it should be $1500 and other posts saying $2000. can someone clarify? also do they change out the whole screen or just the components behind the screen?

My SC today told me the MCU2 upgrade is $1800 for my 2014 Model S about a week after I asked for them to install it. I didn't ask for radio and I already have LTE (if that should make a difference). I said they were incorrect, that it is $1500. The Tesla webpage here Infotainment Upgrade indicates for all other vehicles other than AP 2 or 2.5 (I don't have any AP or hardware for it) that the price is $1500. When I asked to purchase about a week ago, they told me $1500. Do you think I can get them to honor the advertised price?
Yes, I think you should be able to get them to honor the advertise price. Have you actually requested the service through your Tesla app yet? Why don’t you do that and see what the price is through your app.

Upvote 0
So my 2015 (1.0 computer) is scheduled for some work (eMMC, etc) and I got curious about the MCU2 upgrade. I asked them (in the app) about the upgrade and was quoted $2000. I then checked the Tesla site that says it should be $1500. I just asked them again to confirm. It's all so confusing and arbitrary....
For those who got the upgrade, how would you compare the Nav map performance compared to a Model 3 or Y?

Upvote 0
So my 2015 (1.0 computer) is scheduled for some work (eMMC, etc) and I got curious about the MCU2 upgrade. I asked them (in the app) about the upgrade and was quoted $2000. I then checked the Tesla site that says it should be $1500. I just asked them again to confirm. It's all so confusing and arbitrary....
For those who got the upgrade, how would you compare the Nav map performance compared to a Model 3 or Y?
$1500 for the MCU, $500 more if you want to keep FM radio.

Upvote 0
I have a 2017 MS 75D with ap2 and I just dropped my car off to upgrade the mcu. I've read some posts saying it should be $1500 and other posts saying $2000. can someone clarify? also do they change out the whole screen or just the components behind the screen?

I have no idea what the costs are anymore. There's a number of permutations (original pricing, new pricing, keep srcreen, new screen, with Fm, without FM) Had them done on our two since sold Teslas ages ago. They do change out both screens [Edit. I think they change out small screen with FSD upgrade, not sure, but both mine were changed when I came in for FSD and MCU upgrades].

Upvote 0
Tesla got back to me. They had assumed incorrectly that my car has the 2.0 computer. Therefore, it'll be $1500 for my MCU2 upgrade. Thanks for all the info in this thread!

BTW, does the MCU2 retain the internet radio function without the FM upgrade?
Truly worth it whether it’s 1500 or 2000. But 500 bucks saved is always good. Wouldn’t say as snappy as model 3 or y but wayyy better.

Upvote 0
I have a non Teck pkg 2014 model S, no nav or trip planning, still 3g. Tech says I'll gain both and LTE by doing the mcu2 upgrade for 2k cdn. I plan to keep the car another 4 years minimum. No brainer to do it? Any chance it gets cheaper?
I've never seen anyone regret the infotainment upgrade. The price has already come down, I doubt it drops any further.

Reactions: Flyguy
Upvote 0