Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much voltage sag do you get when charging.?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 48A Enel Juicebox wall charger, with about a 15' run from my electrical panel. I also cant park my car close to the charger, so had to purchase this Lectron 40' extension cable (Lectron J1772 EV Extension Cord | 40 ft). When charging at 48A, the Tesla app shows a charging voltage of 231-232v. If I dial back to 40A, which the cable says its rated for, I'm at 233-234v. At 24A I'm at 236-238v (but who wants to charge at 24A if I have a 48A charger?).

My cost of electricity is pretty low so I'm not really concerned about the loss of a few cents. Main question is: Is it detrimental to my 2023 Model Y LR (or my new Rivian R1S) to be charging at a voltage between 231(@48A)-233(@40A)?

Is ambient temperature of the cable and car also a factor in the voltage at the car? At what point is the voltage too low that it would result in damage to the car/battery?
it can be any voltage. its just the lower voltage the lower the power and the slower the charging. Most commercial buildings like hotels and office buildings have 208 volts instead of 240 volts. Any time i charge at a office building or hotel after voltage sag from charging i normally see 198-205 volts. You can ever charger from a standard bedroom nema 5-15 120 volt outlet and after long extension cords and voltage say it can be under 110volts.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I have a 48A Enel Juicebox wall charger, with about a 15' run from my electrical panel. I also cant park my car close to the charger, so had to purchase this Lectron 40' extension cable (Lectron J1772 EV Extension Cord | 40 ft). When charging at 48A, the Tesla app shows a charging voltage of 231-232v. If I dial back to 40A, which the cable says its rated for, I'm at 233-234v. At 24A I'm at 236-238v (but who wants to charge at 24A if I have a 48A charger?).
There is nothing wrong with 231 (or even lower). Many destination chargers start with 208 and drop from that. The only concern is that extension cable appears to be rated for only 40 amps. You really need something rated for 50 or more.
My cost of electricity is pretty low so I'm not really concerned about the loss of a few cents. Main question is: Is it detrimental to my 2023 Model Y LR (or my new Rivian R1S) to be charging at a voltage between 231(@48A)-233(@40A)?
You are not losing any costs. You pay for what you pull down. There is no potential for damage, assuming electrical wiring is up to spec. (FWIW this is the Model X forum, but the answer is the same).
Is ambient temperature of the cable and car also a factor in the voltage at the car? At what point is the voltage too low that it would result in damage to the car/battery?
Ambient temperature has negligible effect. Car can charge on anything from roughly 100 - 300 VAC, some configurations begin with 277 VAC

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I have a wall connector and I charge at 48amps. Voltage reads about 242-244 volts at the beginning about 1-5amps. During 48amps charging voltage is between 232-234 volts. So I have about a 10-12volts of voltage sag at 48amps. Is this pretty normal? Any way to lower voltage sag? Maybe run 4 gage wires instead of 6gauge to the wall connector? How much is too much voltage sag?

What’s your voltage when charging at 48amps?
Where do you see the voltage numbers?

Awesome, thanks all. I'm limiting charging to 40A based on extension cable rating, but otherwise will just charge at 40A.
If you're worried about rating, you should be aware that North American code for continuous loads require de-rating the circuit to 80%. IOW, a 48A charge requires a 60A circuit and a 40A charge requires a 50A circuit. Assuming that the rating of the extension cable should be treated the same as the rating of a circuit, you should actually be charging at 32A regardless of what the juicebox is actually connected to. OTOH, if you don't want to worry about ratings (in spite of the fact that the exist for a reason), then I would guess that you should primarily be concerned about heat generated on the circuit, for instance, is either end of your extension cable going to get hot enough to melt anything?

• Disagree
Reactions: DCGOO and Rocky_H
If you're worried about rating, you should be aware that North American code for continuous loads require de-rating the circuit to 80%. IOW, a 48A charge requires a 60A circuit and a 40A charge requires a 50A circuit. Assuming that the rating of the extension cable should be treated the same as the rating of a circuit, you should actually be charging at 32A regardless of what the juicebox is actually connected to. OTOH, if you don't want to worry about ratings (in spite of the fact that the exist for a reason), then I would guess that you should primarily be concerned about heat generated on the circuit, for instance, is either end of your extension cable going to get hot enough to melt anything?
Actually the 80% rule is mainly to determine the Circuit Breaker rating. If the "circuit" is 50 amps, by virtue of the circuit breaker installed (which so far has not been discussed). 40 amps through that cable should be fine. Although I would make sure any excess length, is not coiled up on top of itself, laying on the ground.

The OP's original question was a concern over damaging the vehicle because the voltage gets too low. Which was easy to dismiss. But the OP will have to make sure all the other parameters are correct. Circuit breaker rating (50a), wire size to whatever outlet is available (hopefully 6 gauge), and so forth. If any of those are sub-par, he may have to constrain the charging rate appropriately.

Last edited:
I have a wall connector and I charge at 48amps. Voltage reads about 242-244 volts at the beginning about 1-5amps. During 48amps charging voltage is between 232-234 volts. So I have about a 10-12volts of voltage sag at 48amps. Is this pretty normal? Any way to lower voltage sag? Maybe run 4 gage wires instead of 6gauge to the wall connector? How much is too much voltage sag?

What’s your voltage when charging at 48amps?

Hmmm...I've never ever cared about voltage sag.

It's been working for 4 years. Thats all I know.

Actually the 80% rule is mainly to determine the Circuit Breaker rating
We also have to consider the rating for the wire.

Assume #6 MN-B (Romex) was installed with a 60-amp breaker. This wire is rated at 55-amp, so the circuit is limited to 44-amps (55*80%). Yes the breaker on the circuit should be 50-amps, but a 60-amp breaker is allowed if certain other rules are followed. Therefore, the correct thing to do is to consider both the breaker and the wire’s rating, and base the 80% rule on the lower of the two.

Actually the 80% rule is mainly to determine the Circuit Breaker rating. If the "circuit" is 50 amps, by virtue of the circuit breaker installed (which so far has not been discussed). 40 amps through that cable should be fine. Although I would make sure any excess length, is not coiled up on top of itself, laying on the ground.

The OP's original question was a concern over damaging the vehicle because the voltage gets too low. Which was easy to dismiss. But the OP will have to make sure all the other parameters are correct. Circuit breaker rating (50a), wire size to whatever outlet is available (hopefully 6 gauge), and so forth. If any of those are sub-par, he may have to constrain the charging rate appropriately.
I'm not saying you are necessarily correct or incorrect, but I'm not sure I follow your logic. Re: code, the circuit breaker should be sized for the lowest rated part of the circuit while the continuous load should be no more than 80% of the circuit breaker (which to translates to a continuous load limit equal to 80% of the lowest rated component of the circuit as opposed to the breaker itself since the wrong breaker being used doesn't magically make a higher load acceptable). Considering that, you are surely aware there were numerous 50A outlets connected to 40A circuit breakers melted due to the 40A continuous load caused by EV charging in earlier years. In terms of safety, with such incidents in mind, it might be wiser to treat the extension cable as part of the circuit and assume a lower circuit breaker amperage accordingly even if you are correct. To look at this another way, though, if you have a 5-15 extension cord rated for 15A and you connect a continuous load to it, it might be on a 15A breaker and should not have a contnious load in excess of 12A. Since that is what the extension cable is made for, I'm not sure why you think moving the 15A extension cable to a 20A outlet on a 20A breaker would magically make th cable designed for a continuous 15A load just because the outlet happens to accept 15A connections. However, this entire consideration might also depend on whether said extension cable is, for instance 14-50 or NACS/J1772 (or it might not if the cable should be considered part of the device, which then needs de-rated accordingly while the device shouldn't continuously draw more than 80% of what it is rated for, but that's way out in left field where I certainly haven't done any sort of studying). Good call re: excess length, though. My point with the heat on the extension cable (which could also be caused by coiling) was that it could cause vehicle damage, directly or indirectly, depending on formation we don't have, and a coiled extension cord could certainly cause a similar threat.

Re: things OP needs to confirm, you suggest a 50A breaker is correct, but technically, the juicebox can charge at 48A, so either it is installed incorrectly, or it is on 60A breaker with wire appropriate for 60A. Going back to my previous point, surely you wouldn't suggest that 48A charging on the extension cable rated for 40A is acceptable given the breaker size, so in case you know something I don't, why are you confident that a 40A continuous load on the same cable is fine in spite of the rating?

note that checking the voltage at an unused outlet on a different circuit is almost as good as checking it in the main panel. Assuming that unused outlet goes to the main panel and not a heavily used sub panel.
I assume it is being checked at the MCU or in the app. Is there really any reason to check it anywhere else at that point?
Therefore, the correct thing to do is to consider both the breaker and the wire’s rating, and base the 80% rule on the lower of the two.
Does the extension cable also count as wire? Is this dependent on where the extension cable attaches?

Does the extension cable also count as wire? Is this dependent on where the extension cable attaches?

For the purpose of the “circuit” - no, at least when it comes to breaker size - keep in mind that all sorts of extension cords can be used.

What is important when using any extension cord, for any purpose, is to consider its rating and adjust accordingly. But if we are talking about a hardwire “extension,” and the extension is lower than the wire from the breaker box, then yes, you need to use the lowest value.

In the case of an extension from something like a JuiceBox to the car, this does not change the circuit breaker size. In point of fact the car will lower the load if the voltage drops too much. Or you can lower the rate in the car, or in the JuiceBox setup.

For the purpose of the “circuit” - no, at least when it comes to breaker size - keep in mind that all sorts of extension cords can be used.

What is important when using any extension cord, for any purpose, is to consider its rating and adjust accordingly. But if we are talking about a hardwire “extension,” and the extension is lower than the wire from the breaker box, then yes, you need to use the lowest value.

In the case of an extension from something like a JuiceBox to the car, this does not change the circuit breaker size. In point of fact the car will lower the load if the voltage drops too much. Or you can lower the rate in the car, or in the JuiceBox setup.
I meant for purposes of the 80% rule.

Regarding the melted outlets that seemed common in the earlier half of the previous decade (old worn outlets or decent outlets on 40A circuits with users who knew no better than to leave the charge rate at 40A), do you know if adjustments have been made by Tesla wih regard to when the car will lower the load?

Upgrading the short 10' run from your panel to your charger will not provide any noticeable benefit. The run from the transformer to your panel could be a couple hundred feet. It's where the loss is. Hopefully your meter is close to the panel so you're not paying for it.

I meant for purposes of the 80% rule
First you determine your circuit, then based on the wiring and extensions, you apply the 80% rule to the lowest value

Regarding the melted outlets that seemed common in the earlier half of the previous decade (

This is still a problem and is related to the quality of the outlet. People have tended to use Leviton outlets, which are cheap, and are not capable of delivering the loads used by EVs for an extended period of time - they just melt.

What has been learned is to use better outlets, such as those made by Bryant and Hubbell. These typically run about $80 versus $15 for Leviton.

Upgrading the short 10' run from your panel to your charger will not provide any noticeable benefit. The run from the transformer to your panel could be a couple hundred feet. It's where the loss is. Hopefully your meter is close to the panel so you're not paying for it.
Particularly if your connection is an aerial drop. Arial drops carrying 200 amps, typically use 2 gauge aluminum wire (at least my area). 2 gauge aluminum wire is pretty lossy, but minimizing the weight of the wire is more important. If your connection is buried, the wire must be much larger, like 2/0 or4/0 to avoid overheating. Number 2 wire hanging out in the air allows it to effectively dissipate heat, although the voltage drop is much higher. Neither is a problem.