Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much would FSD cost on my non-autopilot 2018 M3 mid-range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does the cost say in your app? You would need the 3.0 hardware, and you need to have autopilot, as autopilot wasnt standard then.

Your Tesla app should tell you what the cost would be. Just from a guess, you would need to buy Autopilot, and also the hardware upgrade to go from HW 2.5 to 3.0, whatever that costs.

Reactions: hairythunder
I want FSD on my 2018 M3 mid-range. Is it $3k for autopilot, then $99/month FSD? Do I qualify for HW2.5 or 3.0? Am I missing some important details. Thank you.

FSD requires HW3 or above.

If you buy FSD, the upgrade to HW3 computer is free.

However, if you just want to subscribe, owners have been paying out of their own pockets to upgrade to HW3.

Reactions: hairythunder
FSD requires HW3 or above.

If you buy FSD, the upgrade to HW3 computer is free.

However, if you just want to subscribe, owners have been paying out of their own pockets to upgrade to HW3.
Not according to my Tesla Service Center. They want to charge me an additional $1000 for the upgrade to HW3 after purchasing the software upgrade. I submitted a complaint to my state's consumer affairs attorney general. We'll see what happens.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240423-143021.png
    Screenshot_20240423-143021.png
    355.8 KB · Views: 3
Not according to my Tesla Service Center. They want to charge me an additional $1000 for the upgrade to HW3 after purchasing the software upgrade. I submitted a complaint to my state's consumer affairs attorney general. We'll see what happens.

That may be a new policy that's not disclosed to the public pricing.

In the meantime, the web still says "complementary" as of today, 4/23/2024:

ElGrpV0.jpeg

You should insist Tesla honor what they post on the web before they take the page down, and you'll have no proof of "complementary" by that time.

That may be a new policy that's not disclosed to the public pricing.

In the meantime, the web still says "complementary" as of today, 4/23/2024:

ElGrpV0.jpeg

You should insist Tesla honor what they post on the web before they take the page down, and you'll have no proof of "complementary" by that time.
Thank you for this. I now have the proof. The service folks obviously do not know much about this.

For what it's worth, I purchased the EAP to FSD upgrade on Sunday for $2000 and immediately scheduled to have the hardware installed on my 2018 M3. My local SC showed an estimate of $2000+tax, and I sent a message stating that I just purchased it and I shouldn't have to pay anything more for the hardware install. They responded back to say that they could see I made the purchase Sunday, but that it takes 48-72 hours for their system to update and reflect that. Today they sent me a revised estimate of $0 for parts/labor. I should also note that the charge to my credit card was $2000 even, no tax for an OTA upgrade.

Reactions: sunhelm
For what it's worth, I purchased the EAP to FSD upgrade on Sunday for $2000 and immediately scheduled to have the hardware installed on my 2018 M3. My local SC showed an estimate of $2000+tax, and I sent a message stating that I just purchased it and I shouldn't have to pay anything more for the hardware install. They responded back to say that they could see I made the purchase Sunday, but that it takes 48-72 hours for their system to update and reflect that. Today they sent me a revised estimate of $0 for parts/labor. I should also note that the charge to my credit card was $2000 even, no tax for an OTA upgrade.
Could you please keep us posted on your experiences? I have the same vintage and was considering the upgrade from EAP as well. I'm concerned how the older radar will work with something designed for cameras. Also, I rarely use EAP unless I'm on a road trip and I don't plan on selling my car, so I'm not sure if FSD will be worth it for me. OTOH, this is the cheapest it's been since around 2019 when the FSD upgrade was only $1000.