Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often are the supercharging stations broken?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sailor123

Feb 22, 2014
DC
I backed into spot 2b in rocky munt, hooked up! went to lunch. After lunch, opened iPhone to check my charge. It had not been charging...station had no power. Moved to another station and started over...but lost 30 minutes.
how often does this happen?

Did you report it to Tesla? I used the same spot back in early December and it would not charge. In addition, the charge cable did not want to release from the charge port. I eventually got the cable out and reported the problems to Tesla, whoi said they would have someone check the charger.

If you have not reported it to Tesla, please do, just to make sure they are aware there is a problem. Thanks.

That sucks. It isn't all that rare. I had it happen to me at tejon ranch. I always wait for it to say it is charging (best advice I have on this topic). That time, A few other cars tried and failed too. The charger was full (thanksgiving weekend), so each person waited for a different one to open. Sme tesla employees were a few minutes ahead of me on the route. I let them know when they got back to their car.

A month or two ago I took my son to the Children's Museum of Richmond and by pure crazy chance ran into a Supercharger engineer from Palo Alto who was visiting his parents in Richmond(!). (Saw my Tesla jacket).

I asked him about this. He said it's fairly rare, but all of the Superchargers are connected via network to a control center, and should any go down, they get a team on it pretty quickly. (My impression was that someone's there working on it within a few hours or less).

A month or two ago I took my son to the Children's Museum of Richmond and by pure crazy chance ran into a Supercharger engineer from Palo Alto who was visiting his parents in Richmond(!). (Saw my Tesla jacket).

I asked him about this. He said it's fairly rare, but all of the Superchargers are connected via network to a control center, and should any go down, they get a team on it pretty quickly. (My impression was that someone's there working on it within a few hours or less).

Also, they have real time status info at the control center. Until they have the Supercharger Status on the 17, I have no qualms about calling 877-798-3752 and asking for status if the Supercharger is critical to my drive. Call ahead and check! The folks at the other end of the line have always been happy to help!

Last edited:
Thanks

Also, they have real time status info at the control center. Until they have the Supercharger Status on the 17, I have no qualms about calling 877-798-3752 and asking for status if the Supercharger is critical to my drive. Call ahead and check! The folks at the other end of the line have always been happy to help!
Thanks will call them. Ran into same issue in Burlington, NC...the first three chargers I tried did not work!

I had issues in Richmond, possibly due to difficulty getting the plug in all the way also despite a fair amount of force it kept giving a red colored light ring and car said charger not connected properly. Moved to next charger over and it worked fine. In Rocky Mount, on of the chargers gave no indication of working so I picked a different one and it worked fine.

I had issues in Richmond, possibly due to difficulty getting the plug in all the way also despite a fair amount of force it kept giving a red colored light ring and car said charger not connected properly. Moved to next charger over and it worked fine. In Rocky Mount, on of the chargers gave no indication of working so I picked a different one and it worked fine.

Once again, if you have problems like this call Tesla at 877-798-3752 (the number is on the pedestal). Many issues can be sensed by their remote connection, but it never hurts to make a call and report the problem, and it may help the next MS owner, who may be you one day... :wink:

I also had trouble in Glen Allen (outside Richmond) at one of the chargers back in November shortly after it opened. It was pedestal 2B, IIRC.

The car would report that the cable was faulty. I called it in to Tesla at the time. I was there again a couple of weeks ago, but didn't use the same pedestal, so I don't know it's current status.

That's the only issue I've had in the almost dozen times I've used the superchargers...

Last week I charged at Greenwich, CT (SB) -> Newark, DE -> Bethesda, MD -> Glen Allen, VA (3X to Norfolk, to Charlottesville, to DC) ->
Bethesda, MD -> Newark, DE -> Syosset, NY -> Greenwich, CT (NB). I think we had one bad charger in Greenwich - I called Tesla because
one spot was ICE-d by ice and snow. We meant to hit the JFK airport SC but ran out of time.

Just tried the Highland Park, IL supercharger for the first time while running an errand today. I plugged in to 1B next to someone who was already plugged into 1A. There was also someone at 2B, so I had to be next to someone either way. After plugging in, I noticed I was only getting 53-56A charging. Why so low? (Vs 80A on my HPWC at home). I went inside to make sure I was hooked up correctly and was told that the first car to plug in on one of the shared chargers (ie 1A was there before me) gets the bulk of the power until their range gets near capacity. I didn't realize this. I stayed about 30min and got 20miles of range. Not what I was expecting from a supercharger and would not go back unless far away from home and really in a bind.

I didn't think to ask the person in 1A what kind of power he was getting.

To be fair, the Supercharger wasn't broken: it was operating as designed. Each SpC cabinet can deliver up to 120kW to one or two cars; the first car to plug in gets all the kW it can accept, and the second to plug in gets what's left. As the first car's charge rate ramps down, the second car's rate ramps up.

Don't forget that 56A at ~400VDC is a whole different animal compared with 40A or 80A at 240VAC. It's kW you want to display on the car's Charging screen: then you can compare apples to apples.

Just tried the Highland Park, IL supercharger for the first time while running an errand today. I plugged in to 1B next to someone who was already plugged into 1A. There was also someone at 2B, so I had to be next to someone either way. After plugging in, I noticed I was only getting 53-56A charging. Why so low? (Vs 80A on my HPWC at home). I went inside to make sure I was hooked up correctly and was told that the first car to plug in on one of the shared chargers (ie 1A was there before me) gets the bulk of the power until their range gets near capacity. I didn't realize this. I stayed about 30min and got 20miles of range. Not what I was expecting from a supercharger and would not go back unless far away from home and really in a bind.

I didn't think to ask the person in 1A what kind of power he was getting.
Thus is all true about the second car getting less, but 20 miles in 30 minutes is still much slower than I would expect even if you are the second car. The only factor that I can think of is that you also get less if you are near full to start with. I wouldn't expect this to be your typical experience. To get 20 miles in 30 minutes, you would have been getting an average of 12 kw. After 5-10 minutes, the other car should have been below 90kw, and at least 30kw should have been available for you for the next 20 minutes, which in itself should have been over 30 miles.

it may have been a bad connection, your car, the charger, or something else. The only way to know for sure would have been to try plugging it in again and then eventually trying anger charger.

Another data point: bay 3A at the Yuma supercharger took several tries to connect and then gave me a "Check Charger Power" fault on Friday. I moved over to 2A (which worked fine) and called the Superchargers desk at TM to let them know.

Thus is all true about the second car getting less, but 20 miles in 30 minutes is still much slower than I would expect even if you are the second car. The only factor that I can think of is that you also get less if you are near full to start with. I wouldn't expect this to be your typical experience. To get 20 miles in 30 minutes, you would have been getting an average of 12 kw. After 5-10 minutes, the other car should have been below 90kw, and at least 30kw should have been available for you for the next 20 minutes, which in itself should have been over 30 miles.

it may have been a bad connection, your car, the charger, or something else. The only way to know for sure would have been to try plugging it in again and then eventually trying anger charger.

This could also be the case if your battery was cold.
It happened to me when driving a few miles to a SC when it was 22F out.

Thanks, I'll try again this weekend and see what happens. It was about 10F degrees, so that might have contributed.

How long had you been driving before stopping there? In cases where it is that cold, it can take 15 minutes or so while the battery pack is warmed before the SpC can ramp up.