Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do the maps get updated?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious how often we might see map updates, either new roads, road name changes, or business changes, say a Burger King closes and ends up being a Starbucks.

Do things like that happen in bulk every so often, or are their changes every update?

Do they say that they made map updates on the release notes? I don't think I've seen one yet in the 5 months I've owned the 3.

pretty sure the car uses various map sets to produce the finished images.
The backgrounds are google, but the road maps are not and are built into the car.
You can see this when you have no signal but can still zoom in and out while only seeing roads without any extra detail.
These are the maps that are updated OTA, the rest is delivered realtime with caching.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
According to the manual "As updated maps become available, they are automatically sent to Model 3 over Wi-Fi. To ensure you receive them, periodically connect Model 3 to a Wi-Fi network. The touchscreen displays a message informing you when new maps are installed."

It doesn't sound like it is part of a regular OTA as they are only updated through Wi-Fi. I am assuming no one has ever seen the message informing new maps installed.