Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to disable cellular antenna in M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since this is basically a discussion about The autopilot recall at this point, the discussion probably belongs in this thread in the autopilot subforum.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Since this is basically a discussion about The autopilot recall at this point, the discussion probably belongs in this thread in the autopilot subforum.

I’d still like to know about folks experience with disabling the cellular antenna. I could care less about the autopilot debate.

Have any of the updates you refused been recalls? I am not challenging, I am asking, because I am curious if your experience is also relevant through software recalls. I dont remember any software recalls on my model 3, but have had one on my wifes model Y (the window pinch / vent one).

I wonder if they will treat a recall (an actual recall, mandated by the NHTSA) differently. I would imagine so, but I dont know.

One of the updates I ignored was a software recall. The only real difference in behavior is that it downloaded itself over LTE, because I never enable WiFi. So instead of being in the 'enable wifi to download' it was already there and thus prompting for installs. I think they handle recalls by downloading over LTE, unlike general updates that are always from WiFi.

The one caveat is that if you ever need service, they will force update your car against your wishes during service.
It doesn't hurt to ask. I've requested that the loaded update NOT be installed and put a note on the screen saying not to update. The service person asked why, and I said I didn't want the GUI changes. They serviced the car without updating. However, that was years and years ago.

Reactions: bo3bdar
Have any of the updates you refused been recalls? I am not challenging, I am asking, because I am curious if your experience is also relevant through software recalls. I dont remember any software recalls on my model 3, but have had one on my wifes model Y (the window pinch / vent one).

I wonder if they will treat a recall (an actual recall, mandated by the NHTSA) differently. I would imagine so, but I dont know.
I have experience not installing the window recall and that was released in February. The issue isn't recall or not, but rather that Tesla can't safely take the car offline for around 30 minutes without the owner's permission.

There are those that claim updates have installed overnight without their permission, but in those cases they tend to not have eliminated the possibility of accidentally scheduling the update on the screen or another shared user that did so on the app.

As I noted, even if scheduled, you can reset the timer by starting update, then cancelling.

In the US, manufacturers can't force owners to install recalls, it is always voluntary. There are those that brought up Tesla remotely disabling AP in Hong Kong when the government didn't allow it, but I suspect that is more like a configuration flag (similar to EAP/FSD option toggle), plus the legal system is different (there are less property rights).

In the US, manufacturers can't force owners to install recalls, it is always voluntary.
The manufacturer might not be able to, but the government sure can.

I had a VW TDI subject to the dieselgate scandal. One the fix was announced I was informed that the DMV would not renew my registration without documentation the recall was completed.

I let VW buy the car back instead of fixing it, so it never came to that, but the directive was clear.

I had a VW TDI subject to the dieselgate scandal. One the fix was announced I was informed that the DMV would not renew my registration without documentation the recall was completed.

I let VW buy the car back instead of fixing it, so it never came to that, but the directive was clear.
That's a bit different, your car doesn't meet emissions standards (without the recall being done), so would be illegal to drive in certain states (you can probably register the car in a different state however with less strict emissions). Edit: I see you are in California, which is most strict about this, we have actual smog tests here, but new cars get an exemption for a few years under the assumption they meet emissions requirements from factory, plus the cheat allowed VW to pass the smog test given it is done on a dyno.

Emissions have always been a separate issue (for example there are laws about keeping a spare parts chain for emissions equipment, which is the source of the 10 year spare parts myth that doesn't apply to EVs).

There aren't equivalent laws for most other issues.

Last edited:
That's a bit different, your car doesn't meet emissions standards, so would be illegal to drive in certain states. Emissions have always been a separate issue (for example there are laws about keeping a spare parts chain for emissions equipment, which is the source of the 10 year spare parts myth that doesn't apply to EVs).

There aren't equivalent laws for most other issues.
Agree it’s a bit different, but I don’t see how the exact same principle couldn’t be applied to safety-related concerns if governments wanted to.

“Your car doesn’t meet federal motor vehicle safety standards” is basically the same as “your car doesn’t meet federal emissions standards” and I’m sure governments are well within their right to deny vehicle registrations for operation on public roads in either case if they want to.

Here’s to hoping that remains a rare case only for egregious concerns.

Agree it’s a bit different, but I don’t see how the exact same principle couldn’t be applied to safety-related concerns if governments wanted to.

“Your car doesn’t meet federal motor vehicle safety standards” is basically the same as “your car doesn’t meet federal emissions standards” and I’m sure governments are well within their right to deny vehicle registrations for operation on public roads in either case if they want to.

Here’s to hoping that remains a rare case only for egregious concerns.
But there's no example I'm aware where this applies federally, NHTSA have not made recalls mandatory as far as I'm aware (not even for the dieselgate, from a quick search there are people still driving them sans recall in other states).

The original EPA FAQ says they can't force you to do the recall:

California has stricter requirements under a special federal authorization, something they almost lost under Trump.

California while being strict on emissions is ironically very lax on other features. As long as the lights and brakes work, cars are allowed on the road (even if salvage). We don't have the much more strict inspections other states have.

Last edited:
Reactions: APotatoGod

That’s odd. I’ve read elsewhere about Cali TDI owners who did nothing, kept smogging their diesels every two years and paying registration.

It’s difficult to get concise feedback on stuff like this…

That’s odd. I’ve read elsewhere about Cali TDI owners who did nothing, kept smogging their diesels every two years and paying registration.

It’s difficult to get concise feedback on stuff like this…
Welcome to the internet ;)

But there's no example I'm aware where this applies federally, NHTSA have not made recalls mandatory as far as I'm aware.

California while being strict on emissions is ironically very lax on other features. As long as the lights and brakes work, cars are allowed on the road (even if salvage). We don't have the much more strict inspections other states have.
This is correct, no safety inspection. You can weld your frame back together, have swollen seeping brake lines and blown shocks…

The one exemption I can think of is minimum tread depth requirements on tires.

Welcome to the internet ;)
It seems from that website, the desielgate recall (where ECU had to be updated) is actually not mandatory, but DMV sent incorrect notices by accident.

The ones marked as mandatory are ones where for example they installed a Europe spec part into a US vehicle.

There was also a snow flap recall:

The recalls seems to be related to actual physical parts issues. Given CARB is fairly strict on using CARB compliant parts (if you have ever been in the car modding world you would know this) it makes sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: ucmndd
Hello,

I definitely do not want the new software to get forced onto my car. My buddy has a 21 M3P with FSD subscription and says it’s terrible. He has 4 violations already. He said he simply glanced out the roof glass at the clouds and got a violation. Another was looking out the driver’s window for a split second.

He’s been a tesla fanboy since early 2010s, made over $10M on tesla stock allowing him an early retirement, has owned several teslas and was just about to complete his order for the founder’s edition CT(got the email last week to place his order). Even he is considering jumping ship over the new software.

I’ve been considering selling mine since about 10,000 miles in, when all the creaks, rattles and bobbles began. I want to go back to an ICE sports car for my DD/Commuter. Main things keeping me in the M3LR are AP and bad resale value/interest rates. I don’t want it chirping at me every time I look at another car to my left on the freeway. If the AP is made more strict, I’ll definitely sell when interest rates improve, and thus resale value will be better for folks who need financing.

Anyone disable their cellular antenna or know if Tesla will push an update if you wait too long? I’m concerned they will because this is a “recall” update.
Why is your friends experience relevant to what you want from your car? If he didn't have these problems would that have changed your opinion on this matter?

Reactions: rpiotro
Hello,

I definitely do not want the new software to get forced onto my car. My buddy has a 21 M3P with FSD subscription and says it’s terrible. He has 4 violations already. He said he simply glanced out the roof glass at the clouds and got a violation. Another was looking out the driver’s window for a split second.

He’s been a tesla fanboy since early 2010s, made over $10M on tesla stock allowing him an early retirement, has owned several teslas and was just about to complete his order for the founder’s edition CT(got the email last week to place his order). Even he is considering jumping ship over the new software.

I’ve been considering selling mine since about 10,000 miles in, when all the creaks, rattles and bobbles began. I want to go back to an ICE sports car for my DD/Commuter. Main things keeping me in the M3LR are AP and bad resale value/interest rates. I don’t want it chirping at me every time I look at another car to my left on the freeway. If the AP is made more strict, I’ll definitely sell when interest rates improve, and thus resale value will be better for folks who need financing.

Anyone disable their cellular antenna or know if Tesla will push an update if you wait too long? I’m concerned they will because this is a “recall” update.

dude... if he has $10M in the bank... decked out EQS AMG ... I wouldn't bother with a 2021 Model 3 Performance

Reactions: jkdman123