Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you charge to 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I leave the vehicle at 50% daily.

Days I have more driving I do scheduled departure so it'll be done charging when I depart. Then when I'm done driving for the day at or below 50% when I return home. So some days that's 70% others 90%, etc.

On long road trips I charge to 100% for all stops except overnight.

Charging to 80/90/100% has little difference to degradation. Every hour it's sitting above ~60% your increasing degradation.

Reactions: E90alex
Upvote 0
Any time I have a chance to charge to 100% (don’t have charger at my parking space) and I expect the car to be down to 80% by the time i am home. So for example, lets say I’m away from home, stopping for dinner at a supercharger, and know that it takes 20% charge to get home. That’s when I’d charge to 100%. From what I understand there’s no problem with charging to 100% but there is a problem with letting it sit at 100%.

Upvote 0
MYLR, In daily use where you charge to the recommended 80%, how often do you charge to 100% to calibrate the battery, or do you do it at all, apart from long trips?
I've had my MYP since Aug 2023. Never charged it to 100% yet. I normally stop it at 80% overnight, and so far I've not needed to go past 80% on trips. If I'm going on a long drive, I usually charge it to 95% the morning I leave then take go. While on the road I don't want to wait for charging past 80%, and so far I've not faced a really long gap between superchargers. I'm going on a multi-day road trip this winter, and I may need to fill more than ever before though.

Upvote 0
I've had my MYLR since June 2023 and have not charged it to 100% yet. The highest I've gone is 90% for a road trip. So far the trip planner seems to make my first stop on a road trip around 3 hours in and I usually need to use the bathroom before that. So I don't care too much about leaving with the highest possible SOC since I'm not trying to extend the time/distance to my first charging stop. My preference is to combine charging and bathroom stops so I prefer when they coincide.

For day to day, I keep it at 50% since I work from home and only make short trips for errands around town most of the time.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Upvote 0
I've charged to 100% maybe 10~12 times during the 2+ years I've had my MYP. 6 of those were prior to a day at the track for HPDE. Leaving home at 100%, I could get around 4.5 out of 7 sessions (roughly 20 minutes each) at the track before having to quit or risk not getting home. The other times were prior to long trips.

Upvote 0