Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My battery readings are down 13%. Tesla service says it is due to my charging pattern and asked that I always charge to 90% and not charge again until it gets down fairly low. This is supposed to train the battery management system to give more accurate readings of capacity. So, I now charge to 90% and don't plug-in again until it gets to ~30% unless I plan a trip beyond the remaining range. If I am opportunity charging, and I have enough time, I might charge to 95% or so since I will be driving it down right away; can't do that at home since I need regen for steep hills — even 90% reduces regen by a lot. Charging above 93% is supposed to help balance the cells in the battery pack; I don't know if that is true.

You asked...

It sounds like you weren't charging to 90% previously. The draining part you need to do a couple times to retrain after a long period of not charging to 90%, but after that you can plug in every night and charge to 90% and it will stay accurate (spoken from personal experience).

It sounds like you weren't charging to 90% previously. The draining part you need to do a couple times to retrain after a long period of not charging to 90%, but after that you can plug in every night and charge to 90% and it will stay accurate (spoken from personal experience).
I'm a long way from being back to anything like normal. After I was first told this in March I went on an extended road trip with charges ranging to 95% and discharges down to 5%, over several weeks. It made only a tiny difference (I picked up about 1 RM, which I don't consider significant). So, I'll stick with my pattern for now until I can see whether it worked or not. Just doing 90% charges and deep drains a few times definitely doesn't work IME.

@dgpcolorado I do the same thing here on the other side. It's good for people to see them being used. Also gets people to come up and talk with me about EVs.

So true! There was a instance when I was "opportunity charging" my Volt at Kohl's in Tucson on Cortero rd. and a younger gent came up to me to ask about my Volt. He said that he had never seen an EV charger being used! and asked all sorts of questions about my Volt and EV's in general while we were chatting a Leaf pulled up and plugged in and it's driver joined the conversation. Before it was all said and done we wound up attracting more passers by coming out of the store wondering what the gathering was about. It turned out to be a miniature car show of a Volt and a Leaf while the Leaf driver and myself pointed out the differences in the cars and how they operate.

Don't know if we sold any BEV's that day but we at least gave several people a clearer understanding of how the cars work and can fit into your lifestyle, not surprisingly there were a few that did not even know such cars existed

The only reason I don't plug in nightly is because of thunderstorms and because my current EV is poorly built. I just charge about when I'll need it (usually about 50%). In addition, at least with the newer Leafs you can't set a max charge percentage. I'll get a lot of losses due to inefficiency and no regen braking if I charged nightly, along with enhanced degradation if I let it sit at 100% on offdays.

I'll probably follow suit on my Tesla due to thunderstorms, as well. Charge when I need or when the forecast has no chance of storms, at least for half of the year.
Are Teslas protected against voltage surges like lightning?

I'm super lazy and plug it in only when I know I don't have enough range for the next day. TBH, part of the reason for the larger battery pack is to charge less frequently.

If it's really better for the battery I may consider charging more frequently.
RTFM (the battery section where this advice is given IN UPPER CASE) and decide for yourself.

• Funny
Reactions: DrivingRockies
I'm super lazy and plug it in only when I know I don't have enough range for the next day. TBH, part of the reason for the larger battery pack is to charge less frequently.

If it's really better for the battery I may consider charging more frequently.
Yes, it's really better for the battery. Small cycles help. One of the really good things about the Tesla is that you start every day with a full tank. Then you never even think about whether you have enough or not, because you always do.

So true! There was a instance when I was "opportunity charging" my Volt at Kohl's in Tucson on Cortero rd. and a younger gent came up to me to ask about my Volt. He said that he had never seen an EV charger being used! and asked all sorts of questions about my Volt and EV's in general while we were chatting a Leaf pulled up and plugged in and it's driver joined the conversation. Before it was all said and done we wound up attracting more passers by coming out of the store wondering what the gathering was about. It turned out to be a miniature car show of a Volt and a Leaf while the Leaf driver and myself pointed out the differences in the cars and how they operate.

Don't know if we sold any BEV's that day but we at least gave several people a clearer understanding of how the cars work and can fit into your lifestyle, not surprisingly there were a few that did not even know such cars existed
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!! Keep up the good work. Educate everyone that you can. I don't care whether it's a Tesla. Leaf, Volt, or even lowly PiP. We need to educate everyone on the benefits of driving electric, even if it's only 20 mi at a time. Remember, not everyone can afford a Tesla, or even a used Leaf for that matter. Every electric mile is better than a gas one!

What about for us without a nightly charger? I can't charge at night due to our apartment parking situation. My commute is very short, a few miles, each day. So, I'll just charge as needed at local places, or SC if we are away.

I'm in the same situation and looking for recommendations. Also, the ChargePoint charger at our apartment costs $0.49/kW so I won't be using that. Similar charger at work costs $0.85/hr, so I will likely be using that about once a week, unless there's a good reason to charge daily. There's a SC nearby as well, but continued use can reduce peak-charging rate according to Tesla website.

May I ask the community for guidance on this? Model 3 will be my first electric vehicle. Due to our "snowbird" lifestyle, the car will sit for months at a time. Charge it up and disconnect or leave it plugged in? With ICE, I would use a trickle charger/battery tender. Same or different principle for Tesla? Thanks for all responses!

May I ask the community for guidance on this? Model 3 will be my first electric vehicle. Due to our "snowbird" lifestyle, the car will sit for months at a time. Charge it up and disconnect or leave it plugged in? With ICE, I would use a trickle charger/battery tender. Same or different principle for Tesla? Thanks for all responses!
set it to 50% or so and plug it into a 110 outlet when you won't be using the car.

• Love
Reactions: DrivingRockies
What about for us without a nightly charger? I can't charge at night due to our apartment parking situation. My commute is very short, a few miles, each day. So, I'll just charge as needed at local places, or SC if we are away.

I CAN charge every night I just don't do it. Not really laziness it's just that I only work 8 miles from home. I can and sometimes do charge only once a week. Of course I also have the 60D so I charge to 100%. So, I charge as needed, despite the Tesla recommendations.
Feel free to tear me a new one for "doing my own thing" :)

Absolutely you must leave it plugged in if it will sit for months at a time. Tesla recommends setting charge level at 50% for long term storage, but the most important thing is the car is plugged in.