Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often does your M3P get rebooted? Disillusioned after 25 days.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Three reboots in 24 months with my M3P, each time due to streaming audio freezing up. Not another single “issue” with the car. I would call this perfect reliability. Stellar. Didn’t have to change tires, nothing. Welllll... I did have (gasp!) to add washer fluid.
Yes, other vehicles at the same price point have made some features all but standard that the 3P doesn’t have. And yeah, if Volvo or BMW or Benz built an SUV with 300-plus miles of range for under $70K you could actually buy within a year, I’d cancel my MYLR order in a heartbeat despite the huge advantage of the Tesla supercharger network.
But here we are, with cars that have the best drivetrains in the world, bar non, mediocre-at-best bodywork and interiors ..... interesting if not perfect software and something of a privileged Bro-ish social stigma to own. Still... on the whole, right now, the package can’t be beat.
But if they don’t figure out some basic things that every other car builder in the world already has -- body panel gaps, quality control before it leaves the factory to prevent much more expensive rework, spotty service, eccentric ordering systems -- then they absolutely will lose ground beginning in about two years when everyone else has cars that are close in performance and better in every other way.
People go on and on about the advantage Tesla has built with being first to market with a real EV. But they’ve picked the low hanging fruit and they and everyone else will start to come up against tech barriers that mean only incremental improvements are possible.

This hadn't occurred to me: maybe our cars don't have problems because we "fanboys" create a nurturing environment for the "mind" of the car. Did you even give your car a friendly name? If Service doesn't fix your problems, after the third party stuff is removed or validated, you're down to either a) getting rid of the damned thing, or b) trying to talk nice to it, have positive thoughts, warm feelings. Ommmmmmm. It works for me. No misaligned panels, no spontaneous reboots, no bad paint, good AP + NOA, you know, very fine car.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: TBrownTX and Ecoli
Sucks to own a lemon (I know! I had a Ford once that was the most annoying car for issues and frequently re-occurring faults) but to complain about missing 'must haves' after you buy shows how little research the OP did before buying. Subsequent comments from the OP show a certain naivety i.e. Tesla owners accept mediocrity, Teslas are low tech, anyone without problems is a fanboy etc. I hope the OP solves his issues with Tesla SC but I would tell him outright to not buy a another Tesla, as he has mentioned, as the disappointment might cause angina.

Sucks to own a lemon (I know! I had a Ford once that was the most annoying car for issues and frequently re-occurring faults) but to complain about missing 'must haves' after you buy shows how little research the OP did before buying. Subsequent comments from the OP show a certain naivety i.e. Tesla owners accept mediocrity, Teslas are low tech, anyone without problems is a fanboy etc. I hope the OP solves his issues with Tesla SC but I would tell him outright to not buy a another Tesla, as he has mentioned, as the disappointment might cause angina.

Before I call the vehicle a lemon, I'd really like to hear more about that radar detector installation. For obvious reasons, Teslas are a lot more sensitive to electrical interference issues, and I have a sneaking suspicion that radar detector may be part of the issue.

Entirely possible I'm wrong, but that seems somewhat in-line with what others have seen using things like t-taps and whatnot.

Before I call the vehicle a lemon, I'd really like to hear more about that radar detector installation. For obvious reasons, Teslas are a lot more sensitive to electrical interference issues, and I have a sneaking suspicion that radar detector may be part of the issue.

Entirely possible I'm wrong, but that seems somewhat in-line with what others have seen using things like t-taps and whatnot.

I have a July 2019 Model 3 Performance with a radar detector install. The car has been perfect...i can't see why this would make a difference. They ran a wire into the headliner and tapped into the 12V on the side of the car so that when the car goes to sleep, so does the detector. It makes no sense that it would disrupt anything in the car from the 12V switch.

I have a July 2019 Model 3 Performance with a radar detector install. The car has been perfect...i can't see why this would make a difference. They ran a wire into the headliner and tapped into the 12V on the side of the car so that when the car goes to sleep, so does the detector. It makes no sense that it would disrupt anything in the car from the 12V switch.

It all depends on the quality of the install, what the amperage draw is, which circuit, and so much more. Just a loose or poorly installed connector can cause grounding or shorting issues, overamperage draws and so many other things. Even an unrelated pinched wire when doing the install can make a mess.

Lots can go wrong. Sure, plenty can go right, too, if done correctly. Sadly, many installers don’t do things correctly.

Reactions: android04
ok you've got a car that's acting strange
You've got a radar detector installed

Why not disconnect it from 12v completely and see if your problems go away
That is probably the 1st step the service center would take anyway when looking for a probable cause
There maybe nothing wrong with it, but it is still an unknown factor without investigation ....low hanging fruit

One thing I have not seen addressed by this OP, even though I asked, is "who installed the aftermarket radar detector?" The OP is describing all sorts of issues that could be related to wiring harnesses, someone tapped the wiring to install a radar detector, but it does not appear that this is even being considered as a possible cause.

I continue to believe those things are related, since most of us do not experience what this OP is experiencing. Saying that I dont experience all these things, and perhaps Op should check the aftermarket electrical item they installed if they are having electrical issues doesnt make me a fanboy. I am certainly not a "Tesla stan", there is a lot they dont do great, but most cars do not experience anything near what is described here.
Hey jjrandorin - I wish I did something to screw up the car so I could know what is wrong with it. : ) By now I would have normally torn in the car and done a few things, but because of the issues, I have not done anything but stick some vinyl wrap on my white dash to reduce sun glare reflection on my windshield and side windows. I have not hard wired my radar detector yet. Not a biggie as I only use it on the highway so I plug its cable into the 12v cigarette lighter socket when needed. I also have not installed my laser jammers or hard wired a dash cam. (Yes, I know there are 4 cams recording but I had a minor incident last month and it didn't get recorded, so I still want to have a backup dashcam in addition to the Tesla cams running.) All on hold as I don't want to give Tesla any reason to say I messed something up.

Today I was notified that Tesla cancelled the mobile service appointment they scheduled for tomorrow because of limitations in the mobile equipment and they set a service center appointment for 12/30, 16 days from now. Sigh.

I asked them if they could push an OTA software update to see if that might clear up some of the issues until it goes in. They said I already had the most up to date software. My Model 3 Performance in on version 2021.36.5.5. I thought I had read M3P already was getting the update with remote access to the Sentry cams. Anyone know if 2021.36.5.5 is indeed the most up to date software?

Sunday was a bad day for my M3P. LOL...

IMG_D4CB140F55C6-1.jpegIMG_6717 2.JPGIMG_6897 2.jpgIMG_6888.JPGIMG_6945 2.JPGIMG_6911-2.pngIMG_6892 2.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
FWIW, my model 3P is on 2021.36.5.1. I dont think its a "model 3P" thing (although it could be). Updates have always been staged like this for the entire time I have had my model 3, which is 3 years now. With that being said, it has been a little longer between updates than normal, but the number of people complaining about "I has not got update?!?" in the software update subforum suggests we are no where near alone.

ok you've got a car that's acting strange
You've got a radar detector installed

Why not disconnect it from 12v completely and see if your problems go away
That is probably the 1st step the service center would take anyway when looking for a probable cause
There maybe nothing wrong with it, but it is still an unknown factor without investigation ....low hanging fruit
RD is not connected. I may have plugged it in maybe 3 times since I’ve owned the M3P. It was flapping it’s trunk and acting funky before I even put the RD in the car. Nothing electrical aftermarket running in the car for now.

Autopilot started working again today. I hope the other issues don’t clear up by the time of the service center visit. That would be very annoying if they can’t figure out the problem.

Haha! Love the car name!

But as people keep saying, it's broken and needs repair. This isn't a software thing or a "Tesla" thing or a reboot thing, it's just plain old broken hardware. Also your service center seems like it sucks! What's up with them?

Everyone's software version is different and every car is on a different schedule, as indicated in the note at the bottom of your screenshot.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Haha! Love the car name!

But as people keep saying, it's broken and needs repair. This isn't a software thing or a "Tesla" thing or a reboot thing, it's just plain old broken hardware. Also your service center seems like it sucks! What's up with them?

Everyone's software version is different and every car is on a different schedule, as indicated in the note at the bottom of your screenshot.
Yeah, I haven't seen the sentry system error before, definitely this is a defective Tesla, nothing to do with how most people's Tesla's are.

RD is not connected. I may have plugged it in maybe 3 times since I’ve owned the M3P. It was flapping it’s trunk and acting funky before I even put the RD in the car. Nothing electrical aftermarket running in the car for now.

Autopilot started working again today. I hope the other issues don’t clear up by the time of the service center visit. That would be very annoying if they can’t figure out the problem
Indeed that would be very annoying
You could try "bug report" voice command that should flag the log, make it easier for SC to find the issues
That's providing it's working when your issues surface
I've read of strange things happening with bad/loose negative connections in the car wiring
I think there are a few points in the car wiring that's used as a common negative connection

"I had a minor incident last month." Did the problems start then?
No, problems started on day 1 of ownership. The minor incident was me sitting on the lip of the truck with the trunk open when a car backed into the front of my car in the parking lot. I didn't really feel the impact but a car was honking at the car that backed into my car to try to get his attention before he hit my car. Only minor scratches to the clear coat that completely buffed out. When I got home (3-minute drive) I went to the dashcam viewer to play the incident and nothing was recorded despite us walking around and inspecting the car. I was expecting Sentry to have recorded something. It was a pretty odd situation (trunk opened and parked for a few minutes) but made me wonder what other situations could come up that may not record.

Woohoo! I just got Sofware version 11.0 (2021.44.25.2) installed today with Live Camera, etc. My cameras are all working now. Hopefully, everything else also works now. The Live Camera however took a while to connect. Says "Poor Connection." Hopefully just a local issue with the cell service in this area. Pretty cool feature.
IMG_7169.jpg
IMG_7171.JPG
IMG_7173.JPG

Reactions: TBrownTX
I know you’re hopeful but there’s just no way that all your troubles are due to a software glitch.

BTW, sentry only works when the car is locked so it wouldn’t have saved any footage automatically. Im not even sure if you could have manually saved anything - do the cameras record whenever the screen is on? Or only when the car has been “started”?

It was a rather rare set of circumstances that even a stand alone dash cam may not have recorded depending how long the power source stays on for the power source used. Taking car in at the of month to run diagnostics but so far since software update it has been behaving.

The light show with the new software was a hit last night with the guests we had over. We were not expecting how elaborate it was. Lol.

I know you’re hopeful but there’s just no way that all your troubles are due to a software glitch.

BTW, sentry only works when the car is locked so it wouldn’t have saved any footage automatically. Im not even sure if you could have manually saved anything - do the cameras record whenever the screen is on? Or only when the car has been “started”?
AFAIK, dashcam works as long as car is awake, regardless of sentry mode. All sentry mode does is keep the car awake and move the clips to a folder to save them when it detects something if interest.

Because Tesla uses a standard video format, you can actually recover all the clips the car loop recorded (beyond the standard 1 hour loop) by using a file recovery program like Recuva.

Reactions: Alan2000

You were right. A day or two after the software update everything started to go to crap again. After waiting weeks to get a date to get the car inspected at the Tesla service center, yesterday they inspected the car and determined that there is a defective control module. They ordered the part and scheduled a return visit for MID FEBRUARY to install the new module. So I have no cameras, no cruise control, no Sentry, no autopilot, no backup cam, for close to 2 months. SMH. This weekend I'm going to install a front and rear dash cam. Can't stand to drive a car with dash cams. On the plus side I'm glad they found what was wrong with it, but Tesla service really stinks in how long everything takes to get accomplished.

After the parking lot incident I pressed the dash cam button to save video but noting was recorded in the parking lot. I think I've seen the dash cam recording icon on when I've been parked and sitting in the car but not 100% sure. But once you get out the display turns off so I guess the dash cam stops recording continuously and hands off the recording to Sentry which maybe was not recording because I was next to the car and it was not locked? Fortunately didn't need to make any claim.